Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stantonhyde

Blue Countertops/Backsplash??

stantonhyde
13 years ago

Ok, I realize I want to do this backwards, so please humor me for a moment. (and this is my first post here after combing these boards for the last year looking for ideas)

We put in Brazilian cherry floors (we wanted BOMBPROOF) which are a dark red and American cherry cabinets in a natural finish, which will age into a light red/brown. I really love the colors in the Gaudy Welsh pottery I collect--cobalt blue, brick/darker reds, and yellow/gold. I want to use those colors to decorate/accent. (Pottery will be in the LR so cabinets etc don't have to match this--I just want to use it as a color theme)

So I have the red floors and cabinets. I have room for a small backsplash (just between the upper and lower cabinets along one short wall). No other backsplash space and you can't really see this space from any other room. I really, really, really want a cobalt blue backsplash. I love the glass--hopefully in the larger squares/rectangles, not the mosaics. What color countertop would you use?

I have looked at quartz and granite. I did find 2 granites-- Blue Pearl and Spectrus which are both basically a dark navy with specks of silvery (stones/shimmer?) in them. This would go with the brushed nickel sort of hardware and the SS appliances. But does that go with cobalt blue glass? (I thought Volga Blue was too dark, but maybe not)

I also like Blue Dakota with reds and blues??

The other idea I saw and sort of liked was: stainless steel "subway tiles" with a sapphire blue finish--so a metallic blue. We have a 1970s rambler/ranch and we lean towards Craftsman style--simple wood with interesting details. So the metal idea is different. But if it is only one small wall????

Or should I just chuck the idea and go with a red/brown granite countertop and a yellow (?) tile backsplash?

Please feel free to critique/suggest. I am color impaired and need all the help I can get.

Comments (8)

• jb1176
    13 years ago

Your ideas sound beautiful and depending on the size and light available in your kitchen you should be ok. The one thing to keep in mind that the long term materials in your home - countertop, floor covering, and backsplash - the big ticket items tend to be the items potential buyers look at with seriousness. Cobalt blue is gorgeous but very decor specific. If you are anticipating being in this home a long time that is one thing, but if you have ideas of moving five years down the road Cobalt blue may not be your best choice.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I, personally think (I can also be objective, but this is pure opinion), that it would look better with either the navy blue counter and a softer backsplahs or a more neutral counter and the cobalt backsplash.

All those primaries are a lot of color.

• brickton
    13 years ago

What about cobalt blue backsplash with stainless steel counters? Basically a reverse of one of your options. Maybe a gray concrete or neutral gray granite might work as well.

I am kinda with plllog on the double blue being kind of strong. There was another very primary kitchen posted recently in the "Show me your quirky (something) kitchens" that was also very YELLOW, BLUE, RED: PRIMARY! If that appeals to you, it might be helpful to take a look and see if you can glean any ideas from there.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

What about the dark blue countertop with a tile backsplash that was the field color of the Gaudy Welsh pottery. Do they make Gaudy Welsh tiles? I am not usually a feature tile person but perhaps that could work in a small dose.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

If you do the cobalt tile, think about a darker grout, because the white is very graphic looking. The darker colors (maybe blue?) make the grout lines appear not so obvious...but that's just me :)

If you're not sure about the countertop and what color granite...what about white quartz? It would be a big contrast to the backsplash, but it wouldn't clash with any of your primary colors!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Ohhh it sounds fantastic. Go with what makes
    you happy. Reading your post the blue in your pottery
    makes you happy. See if you can find the right blue
    pearl with a few flecks of that blue.

Here are some images of blue and blue, navy and blue,
    white and blue and in general the idea of using blue.
    You are on the right track to making your kitchen
    yours. If you are still not sure, you can always
    paint the area you want to put blue tile up and get
    a feel for what it will look like.

~boxer

HGTV Blue Tile

Tovey

Blue pearl backsplash too.

My home ideas blog blue counter

Bijou Blue Cobalt Blue

Blue Pearl Granite

Mosaic Tile

Kitchen Blue Tiles

Maine Soapstone counter and backsplash

Blue Penchar

Westchester Magazine

Design Guide Kitchens
    Hgtv

• stantonhyde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are some awesome ideas--thanks so much everyone!

• chana_goanna
    13 years ago

One of my favorites, courtesy of Kompy: