Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Over-the-fridge/oven cabinet organization

Fori
14 years ago

I have two of these high, 24" deep cabinets, oven and fridge. Vertical tray/cookie sheet storage, bulky paper towel storage. What else? Does anyone have clever ways of using the space in the back?

I kind of half remember someone with an Ikea modification yielding a stemware pullout. Did I imagine that?

Comments (15)

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Bakeware, cutting boards, trays in slots over my ovens and the cabinet over my fridge has my huge canning and chili cook-off pots and used to house a second KA mixer, but that's on loan right now, so it's housing the second huge bag of dog food while we do some allergy testing. Also the coffee thermos and thermal carafe, extra cereal boxes and a fondue pot that is not used too often.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

I did see the stemware thing you mentioned -- it was great, but I don't remember whose it was or whether I have seen it recently enough to still be around.

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks--maybe I do have enough rarely-used stuff to fill up the cabinet.

I didn't actually want to put stemware up there, but I am intrigued by the idea of an upside-down pullout.

But why bother? Isn't this why I married tall? :D

• lascatx
    14 years ago

There was another pullout I remember seeing over a fridge or oven -- like a rollout tray. Can't remember what was in it.

Tall here too. My fridge is next to the end and above the pantry pullout I have a 24" wide bookcase (open cabinet with finished interior) turned sideways. I thought about display up there and started with some books on the lower shelf and a display above. I moved things around and now have just books -- ones I don't use often but can reach on the lower shelf and ones I am not likely to use but can't/won't get rid of on the upper one. Thought I'd mention that in case it fits anywhere....

• shelayne
    14 years ago

I think this is what you are talking about. I remembered it was a poster named Stacylu on Ikeafans that did this modification.

Here is a link that might be useful: Over fridge pullout

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

Over the refrigerator storage: we put the first shelf low so that I can store big platters, roasting pans, etc. there & pull them out without a stepstool (I'm 5'2"). Above that are big stock pots, lobster/canning pot, extra slow cooker.

We have slightly lower deep storage over our Advantium, which is installed at countertop height. We did the same shallow first shelf to store casserole dishes on the bottom, then put in vertical storage racks above on the first shelf for sheet pans, racks, carving boards, trays, etc. I can reach to grab the bottom of all these so I don't need a stepstool.

• judydel
    14 years ago

I'm not sure what I'm going to use my deep above fridge cabinet for yet. But I must admit that I do have a fear of something be pulled out in haste and scratching our stainless steel refrigerator! May be I'll use it for large trays that no one but me would ever think to pull out occasionally. Or for other occasionally used items that I won't have to worry about the family pulling out. Soft items like paper goods would be safe.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Nothing "different"...

Over the refrigerator: Vases, pitchers, water bottles, Christmas Cookie containers, trivets & napkin holders (b/c it's right next to the DR).

Over the ovens: Griddle, platters, condiment dishes on bottom; then on the shelf right above, tray storage w/muffin tins, cookie sheets, cooling racks, 9x13 metal casserole dish, pizza pans, roasting pan & rack.

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I guess I just need to accept that those spaces in the back are inaccessible and there still aren't any newfangled methods of getting to them!

But all these ideas will certainly help me organize so I can use some of the space before I turn the rest over to the Tall One. (He suggested putting the liquor over the fridge. I hope he was joking!!)

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I use mine for all of the above, plus my BIG bowls (bread-making bowls and oversized salad bowls) that just take up too much valuable space in more accessible cabinets.

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So it's like an excuse to buy a punchbowl?

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

Our cabinet guy is coming this afternoon, for the first time since we chose our GC and got our timeline. This couldn't have been more timely. Now I need to find a place to store the stepladder!

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Somehow, I had a very short, pleasant fantasy about a punchbowl sized martini glass stored up there.

• sunnny
    14 years ago

We use our space over the fridge for liquor and a HUGE bowl of bread flour. We don't drink often but like to keep some good things on hand for special occasions or when family comes from Europe. We don't have to get to it often but it's our little mini-bar.
    Sunny

• jeri
    14 years ago

We did an IKEA mod and turned the 2 doors above our fridge into 2 full extension drawers with shallow sides. The advantage is that you can pull the drawer all the way out making the stuff in the back just as accessible as the stuff in the front.