Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Layout again, now I think it is better but still need help

annab6
15 years ago

I hope you guys don't laugh too hard at me, we were supposed to be much further along with the kitchen, but here i am with another "layout" post.

I have already posted my "final" layout some time back thinking that was it, was ready to order the cabinets and even paid the deposit. There were a few details to finalize there but we were going away for a week so decided not to rush it with the order and just do it when we get back.

I guess some things are meant to be...

While on vacation, we were staying at a rental condo with a builder-grade, very basic kitchen. But, except for the fact that it had a peninsula instead of an island and one sink instead of two, it had the layout which I originally wanted and which you guys have also tried to convince me to go with, but which I rejected thinking it would never work in our space. Well, we loved it, and also learned a few things from it. For example, the counter overhang was only 10" and although the standard is 15"-18", the 10" was not bad even for my 6'-tall DH.

So what do you think happened next? Long story short, here are the pictures of my new layout which I like so much better already although it still needs some work.

What do you think?

I am very happy with the large working island and a prep sink. Would love for the prep sink not to be right across from the fridge but don't want to move it further to keep the counter uninterrupted.

Still have three problems:

First problem. We decided to bump out the main sink. Tried to pretend washing dishes in showrooms and found that even with a shallow cabinet above the sink, DH was almost bumping the cabinet with his head. So now the sink is pulled out. But we added 3" decorative posts next to the pulled out sink cabinet to make it look nice and therefore lost 6" of cabinet space which reduced the sink to a basic single one. I was originally planning to get Franke Orca in fireclay but now since it wouldn't fit, I am thinking blancodiamond single silgranit sink.

Does anyone know of a way to decorate the pulled-out sink cabinet without loosing so much cabinet space?

Second problem - microwave vs second oven in the island.

The layout specifies m/w in the island. I know I need a small oven which is not a M/W for small jobs, I am not a m/w person. So my options are a)use a toaster oven as my second oven or b) use the island cabinet for a real 2nd oven and find another spot for a microwave. I would prefer the second solution except i just can't find a good alternative spot for a micro. I am thinking what if I just keep a small microwave on the counter, but this would be a "bad design", would it?

Third problem is the 24" cabinet that sticks out of the island in the back. I think it would be great to have an undercounter refrigerator in that location, it would help with the fridge space and would create sort of a breakfast area because the toaster and the coffeemaker are going to be in the appliance garage, cereal is going to be above the appliance garage and the dishes will be next to the sink. But I don't think it looks good the way it is right now. Would appreciate any ideas how to make it fit visually as well.

Comments (12)

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like everything about it, except the little "v" jog in the countertop on the island. I know you want to have people at the island facing each other, but that point looks dangerous.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

What lightlystarched said - take that last cabinet and make it one foot deep instead?

• salmon_slayer
    15 years ago

I really like how you finished the end by the refrigerator. I =personally would find the microwave too low in the island but thats the same reason we are not buying a range. Too far to bend over. I agree with lightly starched with the "v" - recommend you round it out. Looks great overall. What cabinets are you going with?

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, lightlystarched, bmorepanic and salmon_slayer (what a name!), I agree, that 'V' is bothering me too.
    Do you think it would work if we just softened the 'V' and the countertop corners on the cabinet or would it still be too large?

I am hoping to put an undercounter refrigerator there so a smaller one would not work for that purpose. But also don't want to create an eyesore. So I keep looking for pictures of something similar but haven't found anything yet.

salmon_slayer, we are going with Elm cabinets, it is a local brand here (NJ), marketed as "reasonably priced" (they think :)) custom cabinets. We saw them at a neighbor's house and were very impressed so decided to use them too. One benefit - same price for inset as for full overlay. I was very happy about that and decided to go with the inset but now learning it may be harder to achieve the integrated look with the dishwasher (the doors on the full overlay help to cover more of the appliances, something I didn't consider previously), so now thinking about that one again.

As far as the microwave goes, KD suggested the cabinet above the appliance garage. Well, it is very far from the fridge and also right next to the basement door. Our laundry and also a play area are in the basement so there is some traffic. Should I be concerned about it? The other option is the upper cabinet next to the refrigerator but even apart from the way it would look, it would mean dividing the upper cabinets on both sides of the range into a 24" and a 10" so loosing some storage on the right side as well.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

What about the Advantium? You can use it as a second oven and it also works as a MW. It's smaller then a conventional oven but more then adequate to fit a 9x13 casserole dish, chicken, and for baking. I'm going to get one for sure.

• tkln
    15 years ago

I was going to suggest the same thing as remodelfla - we have a KA Ultima (pretty much the same thing as the Advantium) and I love it. In this heat, torching up the monstrous 36" range oven is not an option, so I've been baking in the Ultima. It is much smaller than an oven, obviously, but I can make a pan of 12 muffins just fine...it is a life saver in the summer.

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know, so many people like the advantium solution, but for some reason I am not attracted to the idea of cooking with lights. I am sure I am not the only one out there who is not comfortable with it. Or may be I just like making everything more complicated :)

So I was looking for something similar to these two products that would have a MW mode and a regular electric oven mode, without any lights or microwaves. I think there is only one, Miele speed oven, but I don't think it would work under the counter because of how the control panel is setup.

What about the hutch cabinet? The KD really thinks it would be fine to have either a micro or a small oven such as 24" Miele in that location (the cabinet would need to be 22" deep for the speed oven). I am worried about the distance from the fridge, the basement door, and also don't think we'll have much landing space next to it because something will probably be there on the counter to the right of the sink. Should I still consider that location?

• Buehl
    15 years ago

The "hutch"...is that on the other side of the refrigerator? I'm not sure I'd like it there...unless that side faces the FR...then it might work out for snacks, but not so well for cooking. You say you don't use it much, when do you use it?

Island...eliminate the "V" and make it a smooth curve (so it meets the cabinet straight on).

How would you feel about switching the range & sink....and then move the prep sink to the other end of the island (and away from the seaters!)? For work flow the current locations are OK...if you plan to prep on the island next to the prep sink, but that person on the end is going to get splashed a lot! If you switched the range & sink and moved the prep sink you'd (1) still be able to prep on the island w/the prep sink, (2) give yourself an additional prep area b/w refrigerator & main sink or main sink & range, and (3) the person on the end of the island wouldn't get wet!

BTW...there's no reason why you can't have a small MW on your counter if you don't mind the look. Many people don't like a countertop MW b/c it takes up badly needed counterspace or b/c they don't want anything on their counters.

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Buehl, congratulations on your beautiful kitchen!

The "hutch" is the cabinet with the appliance garage, the micro can either take the place of the appliance garage or go just above it. Far from the fridge but close to the DR and the island. But also close to the basement door and the sink which is what i am concerned about.

We don't have a m/w now, so i don't know what I will use it for, DH wants to use it for reheating food, we are not big coffe drinkers and kids are used to cold milk unless they are sick. I am sure we'll use it when we are in a hurry to get something on the table.

I don't think I want to switch the range and the sink, I really like the range behind the island. It is four of us, so that last chair is most likely for "the cook", so i am not worried about it.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

anna... I was just re-reading your post and your note about adding the posts and losing 6". It made me think of a poster on here who recently showed how they added posts/legs to a pull-out next to a sink or stove (can't remember). It looked like a finished end yet pulled out for a place that they could store spices, oils, etc. Thought it might be something for you to consider.

Is the door next to your appliance garage a pantry? I ask because I'm considering keeping a cheap MW in my walk in pantry just for DH to heat up his coffee, popcorn, defrost bagels. I'm seriously considering an Advantium as my second oven but not married to idea. I want a 2nd oven that's a speed oven but worry if switching out the plates for the MW function will be too much of a bother. If not, and you just need a MW periodically, have you considered a MW drawer in addition to the 2nd oven or just keep it on the counter top. A kitchen is suppose to be a kitchen afterall. I know I don't want alot of clutter on my countertops, but I do expect it to look and function like a working kitchen.

Lastly, how deep is that hutch on the end where it finishes off the frig? I absolutely love the look of that!

• mnolan
    15 years ago

Depending on what kind of style you are going with in your layout (Full Overlay, Standard Overlay Face Frame or Full Inset Face Frame) you may be fine with still using a bigger sink. Just because there are posts or something special to bump-out the sink doesn't necessarily mean they will take space away from your sink. If you're going through a custom shop it shouldn't be much of a problem. I'm not sure how the modular cabinetry companies are on this issue. Here's a rough sketch of what I'm talking about (done w/ Full Overlay Cabinetry in mind).

{{gwi:1924588}}

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remodelfla, the glass door cabinets next to the refrigerator are going to be only 12" deep. We have a pipe from the 2nd floor bathroom under the ceiling on that wall so had to have cabinets there to cover the pipe by the crown molding. But don't have room to do more than 12".

The door you mentioned is the basement, not a pantry (I wish!)

Still working on the sink issue, the decorative posts I liked ended up costing way too much anyway. So KD is checking some other options.

Mnolan, thanks for your drawing, we started with the full overlay but switched to inset after learning that the cabinet line we selected has no upcharge for the inset. Now seems like things are getting more complicated with the inset cabinets in our particular situation. Still like the look so still trying to make it work but I keep wondering if it were simpler to design the sink cabinet as well as integrate the dishwasher and the refrigerator if we stayed with the full overlay.