Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcy96

Medallion/Schuler cherry wheat cabinets

marcy96
14 years ago

Hi All,

I'm still having a heck of a time deciding between white or stained cabinets. I'm driving myself crazy! Does anyone have Medallion/Schuler cabinets in cherry wheat or cherry wheat glaze? I'd love to see what that looks like.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• fleur222
    14 years ago

I had such a difficult time with the decisions for my kitchen. First mistake, we were rushing to finish by a certain deadline. (another story) Now that my choices have all been made, my conclusion is that everything would have been easier if I had pretty much planned the kitchen choices out before starting. So, my suggestion is if you choose white, then what countertop and backsplash would you want? Maybe not exactly which one, but an idea. Same for the cherry. Though you will have many choices with each cabinet type, they do dictate somewhat the countertop and backsplash look that will combine to look best. If you have an inspiration photo it helps. Or take a close look at many kitchen pictures until you can identify and narrow down the elements that you love the most over and over again. My experience was that with white cabinets, many people choose dark granites, soapstone, gold toned granite, and marble. With wood or cherry, the natural tones in granite compliment very well. What is the look you want for your kitchen and what look will work with your home? I chose white, as my kitchen is small and I want it light. Last year I toured a new home in the neighborhood with a very open floor plan and cherry stained cabinets and I loved the kitchen.

• marcy96
    Original Author
    14 years ago

fleur222, Thank you for your advice. I've been thinking about about this kitchen for the past few years and I thought I had a clear picture of what I wanted, light cherry cabs, light creamy granite, travertine floors, but I've been seeing so many beautiful white/cream kitchens that my taste is changing! And my DH now says he actually likes the cream cabinets more than the cherry, as our kitchen is on the small side and it would lighten it up. I should do what you suggest and try to match some granite and floor tiles to the cream cabinets and see if I like it. Like everyone else, I don't want to regret my choices! Thanks again!

• kompy
    14 years ago

My co-worker designed a kitchen for a client about a year ago in Medallion: Venice Door w/ Cherry Wheat Burnished (glaze) and it is striking!!! I still have a door sample if you'd like to see a photo of it. The camera is out on appointment right now, but I can take the picture and send it to you later.
    KOMPY

• marcy96
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kompy,
    Yes, I would love to see a picture of the door when you have a chance to post it. Thanks!

• kompy
    14 years ago

Here are the pictures I promised to post of my Medallion Venice Cherry with Wheat Burnished finish door sample. The finish is silky smooth and the glazing gives it a gorgeous matte finish. It looks and feels like a much higher end product than it is. Photos really don't do it justice. Good luck with your kitchen!
    KOMPY

• marcy96
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much! It is beautiful! I am looking at the Brookhill door so it gives me a good idea of the glazing. Now I just have to decide painted or stained!

• kompy
    14 years ago

I have two Medallion jobs of clients bathrooms, if you'd like to see more. One is Providence Cherry with Pecan stain (no glaze), the other is Brookhill Maple with Harvest Bronze Glaze. These are both really beautiful too.

I'll post them after I get them d/l onto photobucket.

KOMPY

• kompy
    14 years ago

The bath is Medallion Providence Cherry w/ Pecan stain:

The finish is not really as dark as showing in a couple of these photos ....I didn't use a flash on the last two.

This one is Medallion Brookhill Maple with Harvest Bronze glaze. (Going with Maple would be less than cherry).

• auntiebubba
    14 years ago

Kompy the Wheat Glazed looks gorgeous! Definately better than just the wheat! You may remember the issues I had with my Medallion Wheat cabinets... now I really wish I had gone with the glaze.

marcy - I had horrible sapwood in my wheat cabinets. I do not recommend the wheat without the glaze. The wheat is a very light, almost natural stain, the sapwood is very pronounced. You can see how light they were in this photo:

You can really see the sapwood once the wood darkens:

The wheat has settled into a nice brownish red, but we had to replace all of the doors above (except the left door above the fridge - I kinda liked that one) due to sapwood.

• marcy96
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kompy, thanks so much for all the photos. Now I can picture the stains better. The bathrooms are beautiful.
    auntiebubba, thank you for your advice on the wheat stain. I would definitely get the glaze if I go with the wheat. By the way, Your kitchen is gorgeous!!!

• kompy
    14 years ago

auntie, Yes I remember you! Glad you got your new doors....your kitchen is VERY nice!

Marcy, be sure to post your decisions.....and your new kitchen as it progresses!