Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Ann Sacks Heath sample tiles - Help me choose!

redroze
15 years ago

I received two Ann Sacks ceramic tile samples - great service as I just spoke to the Detroit showroom two days ago! The tile looks gorgeous in person. You can tell it's the good quality stuff!!

We are getting the 2"x8" size and these samples are not the right size. I just need to choose between Chalk White (a whiter white with a pink undertone) or Stone White (a yellow undertone). Chalk White also shows more speckles which are hard to see in the photos. I want it to compliment our white cabinetry which is painted Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore which I think has the faintest hint of yellow, but is overall a true white. Please help me decide on the colour! Our granite is Bianco Antico which has a slight pink undertone with cream, bronze, grey and some pinky red bits.

Chalk White on the left, Stone White on the right.

Stone White.

Chalk White.

Chalk White on left, Stone White on right. This photo shows the undertones really well.

I know it's hard to tell in photos, but would appreciate some guidance!!

Comments (44)

• happymommy
    15 years ago

I prefer the chalk white. I think it looks better with your cabinets. Gorgeous granite, by the way!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I prefer the chalk white as well with your cabs and granite. It's going to be a beautiful kitchen.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

They do look like nice tiles.

I prefer the chalk white, especially with your granite. You will be seeing it more against the granite than your cabinets, right? Cuz by the time it touches your uppers, your view will be cut off at that angle anyways.

• msrose
    15 years ago

The chalk white looks whiter, so I think it's a better match for your cabinets.

Laurie

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Based on what I know of you and your quest for a backsplash, I think the Chalk White (as it appears on my computer) better meets your criteria.

They both look terrific, but the Chalk White just seems more you.

• piesnob
    15 years ago

Chalk would look great!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

If you're looing for a "warmer" tone, then another vote for Chalk White. I LOVE Ann Sacks tiles btw! I made the mistake of going into her showroom here in NYC the other day and nearly croaked. Everything was gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. When it comes to quality, you can't go wrong with her stuff.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, looks pretty unaninimous for Chalk White.

Here's a doozy to throw in - what backsplash should we do for the stained cabinets? These cabs are the same colour as our island. The top will be wood in the same espresso stain. Hubby is mounting his computer monitor on the wall, and will fish all the wires through this custom pipe thing that sneaks into the bottom of the pantry (and which I thought he was crazy about but now I get it). So the wall all around the monitor will be exposed, and we are putting nothing on the wood top to keep a clean look - the keyboard and mouse go in the flip out drawers below.

Okay, after that novel of an explanation - what type of backsplash should we do here?? Keep in mind that whatever we do, it will frame the monitor. Should we keep it as paint? Do something snazzy? Or same ceramic tile as with the white cabs? This photo shows it painted already. Our monitor is black, but I think in future we're going to go with a white or silver Mac monitor.

Rmkitchen - How do you know me so well??? ;-) You're right, I didn't say anything so as not to bias the post. But when I saw the Chalk White, I thought, despite whatever the undertone was, "that's me!"!!!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

raehelen- Interesting point about the view. I'm always thinking of things more from a stand-afar-and-take-a-photo-and-post-on-Garden-Web point of view!!

Happymommy - Thank you for the compliment on the granite!! We love it.

Thanks Pluckymama!!

Marthavila - I'm in Canada and never know about Ann Sacks prior to GardenWeb. I was thinking "glass tile" all the way, and never thought ceramic, but when I saw this in person I was like, wow! It's like really nice, matte, ceramic pottery. I don't know how they make it but it just feels nice. It has some speckles that bothered hubby a slight bit, but not enough to have it be a dealbreaker. Maybe it's due to it being handmade or something?

Just looked at the Heath Ceramics website - Heath is carried by Ann Sacks - and it shows the process of how they make their ceramics in Sausalito. Looks very homegrown, which I like.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Wow, I think that's a really neat opportunity to go super snazzy, maybe even a mosaic or custom made tiles. You could keep it painted for now, (love your paint colour BTW), and keep your eyes open for the perfect BS.

Maybe DH even gets a vote cuz it's his corner? :>)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I like the same tile with the darker cabs as with the white cabs. It would tie it together without changing and then drawing attention to your computer station vs. your other focal points. Can't wait to see it finished. Really like what you've done.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

He chuckled at that one, Raehelen. He's busy doing work beside me so I get to indulge in GardenWeb. =)

Ooo..you gave me an idea. He and I have always loved the look of stainless steel mini-brick tiles, but had no idea how/where to incorporate it. Do you think it would detract too much from the monitor though?? Like "gaaa...need to shield my eyes from the shine!!!"

• happymommy
    15 years ago

I think I would leave the computer area just painted for now. Omitting the tile might set it apart from the rest of the room, and I think I like that - desk area v. kitchen work space. I am torn on this too - I am sure it would look fab tiled too.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Raehelen - The paint colour is Natural Cream by Benjamin Moore. I love everything being so neutral as I can put accessories to pop it as I desire...I'm really feeling lavendars lately. Or teal blue. Or red. I can't wait to accessorize!!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Well, we were just meant to "meet"! If we'd lived in Toronto you can bet I'd be asking you for tons of hand-holding.

On the one hand I can see doing nothing (I mean, yes to the paint) behind the computer -- it has a different function and will have a different "feel" (with the monitor there, even if the other computer accoutrements are tucked away).

Then on the other hand, because you two have gone to such efforts to minimize the computer detritus, I also think doing the same backsplash (those beautiful 2" x 8" tiles) would be visually consistent and make sense with your kitchen as a whole.

I'm totally redundant, but "based on what I know of you" (ha ha) I don't think it's you to have a strikingly different backsplash over there. Those stainless tiles are great, but (I think) in a different room ....

What are your feelings?

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, you're right. The stainless steel tiles are cool but I wasn't seriously considering them. I guess I can wait until everything is in, keep the paint for now (since the painter went to the trouble of painting this area, knowing it would bug me), and decide later.

Thank you!! (I say that a lot here...because I'm so thankful I found this place.)

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I think it's so interesting that you suggested the stainless steel mini bricks because that's exactly what I was thinking once you mentioned the silver monitor! I think the monitor could look way cool against those stainless bricks. From a distance, it would tend to blend in with its background, further enhancing whatever is on the screen. I also like the idea of the stainless bricks, especially if you have other stainless touches elsewhere n the kitchen. OTOH, I refrained from mentioning it for the same fears you identify -- in the long run, that might be an excess of pop for the application. So, if you want to make a "safer" choice, I might agree with happymommy's idea of just leaving the wall painted and omitting the tile altogether. I'm not so sure how I feel about continuing with the Chalk White, but I'm thinking . . . not so much.

• sauceyc
    15 years ago

I think the Chalk White ... and stay with paint. At least initially ... you can easily change the paint later - or even add backsplash later ...

Your granite and cabinets are GORGEOUS!!! I almost went with Bianco Antico! It's such a beautiful stone. My stone (Lennon) is very similar.

And I must thank you, redroze, once again ... for your ceramic vision/inspiration. I just love it. I was completely thinking frosted glass ... and then saw the photo you posted of the 2x8's. I have samples coming from Heath in Sausalito ...hopefully tomorrow:)

So ... THANK YOU!!

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

Redroze -- That is some beautiful tile. I'm so glad you're going for the Heath. I agree about the Chalk White and am looking forward to seeing pics (if it was me, I'd just put more of the tile behind the computer -- the more of it the better as far as I'm concerned.)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

My vote is for the Chalk White.

BTW, saw the Daltile again today. In the glossy finish, the Arctic White looks perfectly white as I'd remembered it to be (whew!), but it does have a slightly warmer hue to it in the matte finish (mind you, this was on 2x2" tile squares on the sample board!).

The Ann Sacks tile looks great with both your cabs and your granite!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Martha - The stainless steel mini bricks are so pretty, aren't they? My favourite application for them is above the range under a ss hood vent. Since we have a painted hood that nixed that idea. I still need to find some rooms to put glass tile and stainless steel tile...maybe the laundry room!! =)

Sauceyc - I am so thrilled to help someone out, given all the help that I've gotten here. I just googled the Lennon granite...what a beauty! That's a great ad, don't you think? They don't even have grout in the tiles, merely spacers, and somehow that La Cornue ad just sold those tiles!

SW - It's everything you raved about! Well, I'm keeping the backsplash options open. I'll wait until we got our new monitor in a few months then decide then. For now, we stick with paint.

Cat Mom - I'm relieved that the Daltile is really white, and sorry to scare you on that one! That makes sense, since I was looking at the matte it probably looked warmer to me. Are you going to go with it then?

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Another vote for CHALK WHITE....my you have exquisite taste!!!

• overlyoptimistic
    15 years ago

Hi redroze,

Prior to purchasing, I would talk to Heath and ask about the level of variability and then make sure you are comfortable with some variability. Some of their colors are more variable than others. I suspect the whites are classified as low variability.

I installed Heath in our bathroom-- canvas (off white), eucalyptus (light green) and a dark green. It is amazingly strong, well made tile. They categorize canvas as light variability. I LOVE the variability-- really makes the tile come alive, in my opinion. I have photos of the bathroom, but the photos don't do the tile justice and the variability is so slight that the photos don't capture it.

With Heath, like many handmade tiles, you also need larger grout lines (1/4 or there abouts). So make sure you are okay with that.

We also live near Heath, and having been there many times I've always felt they were very helpful.

Best of luck.

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

Well, I'm going to hop in and say what everyone else is--chalk white in those beautiful tiles and leave the space behind the computer painted since you don't want that area to be a focal point. Your kitchen is gonna be stunning!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Overlyoptimistic - I hadn't considered the point about variability, I will ask them as I know we didn't want a lot of variability. Regarding the 1/4 grout line, that worries me a bit. Can you post any pics of your Heath tile?

Thanks Mindimoo and Jaedwards!!! I am so excited to share our final kitchen with everyone. =) The granite doesn't go in until August 7, and our pendant lights are on their way. So I really want to finalize this backsplash tile. I hope the variability and grout thickness doesn't bother me too much!

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

We have handmade tile -- from Sonoma Tile, another California tilemaker -- in our bathroom and the tile guy did say before he started that, since the tiles varied ever so slightly dimensionally, the grout lines would have to vary as well. That is, the grout lines are not exactly the same everywhere. But the difference is extremely slight, maybe 1/16 of an inch or so from place to place. The grout lines range from about 1/16 inch at the thinnest up to 1/8 at the widest. I love the look. It's just ever so slightly variable, as is the glaze of the tile, which gives it just the look I wanted, as if human hands had touched it I guess, softer, maybe.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SW_in_austin - so you're saying we can install handmade tiles with a 1/16 or 1/8 grout line? That's great news!! Thank you!!!

Overlyoptimistic - Perhaps that was the recommendation from your tiler, but we don't necessarily need to follow that rule?

• iris16
    15 years ago

Have you considered that you might have a slide show going on on the computer screen. Especially when you are showing off your vacation pictures. I would want something very minimal behind the screen, probably paint, which you could change easily. Love the way the computer wires will be hidden.

• wascolette
    15 years ago

Love your choice of chalk white for the tiles. I would leave the wall painted without tiles for where the computer will be. Beautiful kitchen!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

redroze, unless something changes when we go back to order the tiles (e.g. like, they tell us about another brand of tile, same size and color, that's available at 1/2 the price of the Daltile!), I think we'll be using that as our field tile (and something else as a small border to tie in the other elements/colors--and I'm not gonna say anything more about that one yet! :-)).

I am so glad you found tile that you love! Much better than trying to make something else "work." Even better that it's really, really nice, and looks so wonderful with your beautiful granite and cabinets!!!!

• lincolnduncan
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I, too, became slightly obsessed w/ that ad. Would you mind telling us the price of the Ann Sacks 2 x 8. We won't have that much backsplash (lots of windows) so I think we may splurge. Thanks!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

When we went to SF recently, we took a tour of the Heath factory, and ended up in their overages/seconds room, where you can take home a whole box of whatever you pick for $25. Talk about tile heaven!

So far I've made house numbers and a doorbell backing out of them...more to come :)

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Iris - Good point! I'm sure during parties we could put on a slideshow, or play mp3s and put on a funky screensaver as digital artwork.

Wascolette - Why thank you!! I love your kitchen so that is a huge compliment coming from you!

Lincoln - I know, good advertising isn't it? I bought it from the Troy, Michigan store and she gave me an excellent price of $22.97 per square foot, which is less than the list price she originally quoted at $28.71. Speak to Diane, she is awesome. She probably sympathized with the crazy freight charges since they're shipping to me in Canada.

Flyleft - Cool...you folks in the US get so much great shopping. Heck, with that price for tile, I would just tile my entire master bathroom from floor to ceiling, who cares if they match!

• overlyoptimistic
    15 years ago

Sorry Redroze. Some days I don't get to check this forum. I would give Heath a call and ask them about the grout width that they recommend. They told me to use 1/4 inch grout lines. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the tile installer because that was me.

Here is a picture, but it really isn't great in terms of the tile and doing it justice.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gglks
    15 years ago

i also agree with the chalk white. you mentioned your hood is going to be painted??? do you have any pics of that? i am also going to have a painted hood and would love to see what you are doing with yours!!!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

(side note: overly, I really love the counter in that bath too-could you share what it is? An engineered quartz maybe? Nice and thick--very very cool. I'm trying to decide on a fun counter for our powder room now. And the pieces on the wall--they're beautiful, from what I can see. I'd love to see a quick pic of them themselves if you're inclined)

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Overly - Your tiles look GREAT. However, I think the Heath person you spoke to gave you the wrong information or at least a non-detailed recommendation. On the Heath FAQs on their website, they state that 1/8" is the recommended size:

I really do not like the way grout looks. Can I install with a very tight grout line and not the recommended size of 1/8" (3/16" for 12" modules)?

Possibly, however it depends on whether or not the natural irregularity in tile size and shape allows for a tighter fit (typically easier with smaller sizes). It also requires a much more skilled installation to get a good end result. If the grout line is too tight the tile could chip at stress points while the grout dries. Your tile installer should have a grout selection kit with the many shades of grout available and there will likely be a choice that blends in with the tile rather than creating contrast.

Gglks - Here is a really bad, upside-down pic of our hood. It has some extra trim pieces on the sides for carrying purposes. It's a really simple look - not exactly the look I had wanted but close enough.

{{!gwi}}

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Overlyoptimistic - Forgot to add that I did get in contact with Heath before I ordered. She said their handmade tiles are normally done with a grout line of 1/8 to 3/16, including the ones displayed on their website.

• overlyoptimistic
    15 years ago

Hi,

I did the bathroom in 2004-2007. I'll admit that I told my wife I could do it in 3 months and it took 3 years (hence why I call myself overlyoptimistic). I know Heath changed hands at some point and I'm not sure when. So, glad to know that you have the latest and greatest info. I suspect that I tried to make 3/16 grout lines; I do recall all sorts of spacers from 1/16 all the way to 1/4. It was tricky tile to lay given it is handmade. But the stuff is some of the best tile I've seen. Totally bullet proof and amazing looking (IMHO).

In terms of the countertop and vanity-- both of those are also my handiwork (and another reason it took so long to finish the bathroom). The vanity is cherry. The countertop is concrete-- a mixture with Cheng colors and a lot of crushed glass. Fun to make but time consuming given I have a full time job :)

Best of luck with the tile. I know you'll love the stuff. Now you need some dinnerware to go with it...

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Now you need some dinnerware to go with it..."

Tempting...very very tempting!!

• margieb2
    15 years ago

Love the chalk white and the little specles that bother dh will add to that hand made look which is nice. In terms of the area behind the monitor, I'd put the monitor up first and live with it for a little while...you may have a eureka moment!

Can't wait to see it finished. Looks gorgeous.

-Margie

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

redroze - I don't have an opinion on the tile, as I am brain-dead at the moment after moving into our new house yesterday, but I just had to laugh when you wrote about your DH's pipe up through the wall so he could run his wires. My DH had 3 of those put into our house so he could run all his wires every which way.

My biggest regret about our move is that I didn't take photos of his wires in the basement of our last house - it took him 6-8 hours to remove all the wires he had snaking through our house! I was out of town when he did it, but I understand that the pile was huge!

Thanks for the laugh - I needed that! And good luck choosing your tiles...

Patti

• margieb2
    15 years ago

Redroze, What if you were to frame the monitor with crown moulding or cabinet moulding so that the monitor looked like a framed piece of art on the wall?

-Margie

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Margieb2 - the monitor has an arms that juts out a bit from the wall so it can be tilted. I like the idea though, if it were mounted directly on the wall.

Bellsrus - I think it's one of the reasons I love DH! If we could put up with their wiring then it means we love them!!