Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jb1176_gw

Stonegirl and others, Cambrian Black Antique and enhancer

jb1176
15 years ago

I've been searching for something I thought Stonegirl wrote about either using an enhancer or not enhancing Cambrian Black Antique. I think I also recall that the enhancer had to be a certain type - I think there are two types and I can't remember what Stonegirl said. I've done a search on this here and can't find what I read - wonder if it was on StoneAdvice.com? If she or anyone else can recall what the recommendation was I would like to know.

My salesperson at the kitchen and bath shop is trying to talk me out of Cambrian Black in an antique finish and going with an engineered stone of similar look. I am resisting the recommendation. I'd like to have a professional's opinion about using an enhancer on Cambrian Black Antique or on Nordic Black Antique before a final decision about this issue is made.

Thanks for the help.

JB

Comments (5)

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Here's my opinion on the subject:

You could go either way and have a really nice looking
    application... Cambrian OR Nordic Black Antiqued will look great
    with a coat of enhancer - BUT... remember that ANY enhancer
    is a temporary finish applied to a permanent material...
    Most Enhancers will wear off over time - could be 6 months..
    could go as long as a couple of years. This will depend on
    the amount of wear that your tops will receive, etc.

Two products that I have had great success with are
    "Tenax Ager" and "Tenax Ager Tiger"...
    Both work VERY well and I have had zero complaints or problems.
    Another product is made by Aquamix and it's
    called "Enrich N Seal" - ALL of these work really welll.

I always make sure my clients know that any
    of these products will wear off over time, so additional
    applications will be a reality - somewhere down the road...
    As long as you know this - it's not a problem - just wipe on
    another application when the stone starts looking dull
    and raggy... otherwise - this is not a problem.

Enginered Stone will look cool too - You have to choose a
    color that YOU can not only LIVE with - but BE IN LOVE WITH
    every day....

In MY opinion - this all boils down to aesthetics and what
    YOU want to have in your home....

Everybody's different - If I were you - I'd look at what
    and why: "What" look do you REALLY WANT and "WHY"?
    Only YOU can answer those questions.... THEN - go with your heart.....

Remember that in the end - it's YOUR Kitchen and YOU are
    the
    one that's going to wake up every day and wander out there to
    fix a cup of coffee and make breakfast - go with what
    pushes YOUR buttons - not some sales person's.....

just my .02 cents worth

keivn

• wpsoko
    15 years ago

Check out mbstone.com for some great stone products and info.Follow on to marblecleaning.org too. Really opened my eyes to the industry.

• stonegirl
    15 years ago

The antiqued finish on the Cambrian black is a darker, more satiny finish than a typical hone and does not require an enhancer. It does not show fingerprints the way a honed top does. It does have a very slight texture, but it is not a "cleaning hazard" at all.

The antiqued Cambrian Black is really easy to care for and could have a very traditional appearance.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

My Cambrian Black is what would be called brushed or antique. It was acid washed in the finishing -- which we found out because we asked the stone yard folks if it had a sealer alreaedy on it. My fabricator and I applied some water to the surface and it beaded right up. Took a little dust off the surface, but that was about it. He said they could try to force some sealer into it, but I really don't think that, if your finish is like what I have, an enhancer would make a beans worth of difference on it.

I agree with everything stonegirl just said. What I'm curious about is why are they trying to talk you out of using Cambrian Black and why you think you need an enhancer on it.

• jb1176
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kevin - Thank you for the clarification about the use of enhancer. I appreciate the added information as I had no idea that enhancer wore off.

stonegirl - Thank you for your response. I know you have talked about this issue before but I couldn't find what you had said before about enhancer and this finish on Cambrian Black. Thanks for the clarification.

lascatx - Is acid wash part of the antiquing process or was this an additional step your fabricator performed on your slab before fabrication? The question about enhancer came about from my having just enough information to be dangerous about the antiquing process. I was concerned about fingerprints and had read somewhere that enhancing helped reduce this issue. Guess that is not the case. I think the KD tends to push engineered product whenever the customer asks about anything less than a polished surface. I do know enough to know that there are problems with engineered stone and I probably wouldn't go that route despite what the KD says.

wpsoko - I did check out marblecleaning.org. Lots of information on that site. I have purchased a couple of the MB products for cleaning and polishing granite. At times I get frustrated with the answers to consumers questions from MB because they are more a put down than an answer. I've gotten a much more positive and productive answers to my questions from this forum and from stoneadvice.com. Love these two forums!