Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Our cabinets are here!!!

redroze
15 years ago

I'm doing a happy dance! There's dust all over the floors and cabinets, and they're shrink-wrapped, but they're here nonetheless!! Some of the hidden hinges need to be adjusted as there are gaps here and there, but again, they are here!!!

Our kitchen.

{{!gwi}}

The dusty island. You can see the Aubrey pulls from Restoration Hardware (and my twitchy finger).

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

You can see the detail of the doors here. This is actually the panelling on an end run of cabs.

{{!gwi}}

The skinny one on the bottom left is our garbage pullout. Hooray!

{{!gwi}}

The loooong open shelving.

{{!gwi}}

More cabinets.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Detail on the side of the island.

{{!gwi}}

That is all! Thanks for looking.

Comments (33)

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Looks great!!! When is the install? Do you by any chance have a sketch or inspiration pic of the island. Your pics of the side of the island are similar to the look I'm going for. Just wondered if you had a pic so I can see how the island looks all as one piece? Thanks

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And my favourite cabinet of all. The tall upper cabinet that goes from ceiling to countertop, with glass doors and cute little glass knobs (only glass knobs in the kitchen - my idea although it took the designer to convince my husband of it). Again, hinge needs to be adjusted. This is the bottom of it and the cab is upside-down so you'll have to visualize. =)

{{!gwi}}

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

They are beautiful! Can't wait to see them installed.
    Barb

• gglks
    15 years ago

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see more!!!!!!!!!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mahlgold, we don't have inspiration pics for the sides of the island unfortunately. They are custom cabinets and we told him to go as simple as possible, and he came up with something great.

Thanks everyone, we're excited too!!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Oh, pretty, pretty! And you got one of my favorite knobs--Aubrey. The name of my sweet beastie who is watching over my kitchen reno up in cat heaven. Can't wait to see the rest of the kitchen done. How exciting! I am so happy for you!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Yay!!! Looking good!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The bottom cabs will be installed tomorrow, then granite templating Saturday, balance of cabs and appliances installed next week along with wall paint, then granite.

• clc08
    15 years ago

I feel your excitement! Can't wait to see more pics...love your pulls, too. We're about at the same stage as you...isn't it wonderful to have it finally come together?

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

I love them, especially the glass knobs!

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

Very, very nice! Especially the island & glass door cab! Can't wait to see them installed!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. It's so nice to share my excitement with people that can relate. Gaaa...I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. My senses feel so awake right now. It feels like being a child on Christmas Eve a gazillion!

Here's a few more without the saran wrap. The potlights make such a huge difference! Everything's so dusty and I'm dying to wipe everything, but I know it will get dirty again.

More of the island which is sitting in our attached family room.
    {{!gwi}}

This gives you a glimpse of the RH Gilmore knobs which will go on most of the cabinet doors.

One more of the dear Aubrey pull (if I wasn't allergic to cats, I'd name mine Aubrey too. Such a darling name.)

• Laurie
    15 years ago

I LOVE your cabinets, Aubrey pulls and glass knobs :)

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

it's going to look fabulous! oooooooh, i won't be able to sleep either... i want to see them installed so badly!

• annettacm
    15 years ago

My seven-year-old daughter's name is Aubrey, and I showed her this post with her name in it. She wants me to buy her an Aubrey pull now! Not sure what she'd do with it, but the poor girl can never find her name on anything; the least I can give her is a drawer pull.

Beautiful cabinets! And pulls!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

annettacm--don't forget the Bread song with Aubrey in it! Click on link below, and it's #4 (if the player gives an error msg, close the msg, and then the song will play).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bread--free song download

• gglks
    15 years ago

redroze,

just curious and can't wait for future pics.....what countertop did you pick? How about paint color????

• ravmd
    15 years ago

redroze- anxiously awaiting to see more of your kitchen. just read some of your previous descriptions of what you selected and wondering if you did go with MDF on the white cabinets? They look amazing.!

• annettacm
    15 years ago

(thought I just sent this, but it said "error", so forgive me if I duplicate)

Cat-mom, thanks! How could I forget that! Actually, my parents had that album when I was a kid and I've always loved that song! Where do you think we got the name? It was either that or Rhiannon, as my DH was a huge Fleetwood Mac fan growing up. Aubrey loves to hear "her" song, and now to see "her" pulls! LOL

"And Aubrey was her name; a not so very ordinary girl or name; but who's to blame." Redroze has pulls named after a song! How many TKOers can say that?

• alice462
    15 years ago

How wonderful! They are gorgeous -- can't wait to see more, more, more!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annettacm - Aubrey is a really great name, so original and just classy! I love that my pulls are named it.

gglks - We chose Bianco Antico granite. The wall paint colour is Benjamin Moore's Natural Cream (best described as a greyish taupe), the white cabinets are Chantilly Lace.

ravmd - We did go with MDF on the white cabinets, 20% gloss so relatively low-sheen. They look incredible - even better in person, you'd never tell that they weren't solid wood and I heard they hold paint a heck of a lot better (no cracking and so forth). The brown stained cabinets are maple.

alice462 - I've never seen you post before. Thank you, I'll post more as things get done!!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Two more photos because I am so photo-happy. Do you think I should put pulls on the panels under the cooktop (right) and sink (left, under window)? Our GC suggested it but I don't want guests to accidentally tug on it. They are both false panels, not tip outs or anything.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some of them installed, just begging for granite tops...the brown desk area will get a standard brown wood top.

Some white cabs installed. Tall structure will house wall oven and microwave to the left will be a french door fridge recessed slightly into the wall.

Floor to ceiling pantry with some pullout shelves, desk area to the left.

A better look at the island.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aubrey pull, Gilmore knobs.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Very nice, can't wait to see the finished room.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For anyone who's interested...some more photos. We hit a couple of bumps. See the open shelving? It's too deep which causes the upper cab beside it (to left of window) to overlap on the window trim. So we're getting them cut in the back so they're more shallow - they will still fit some the pottery that I like. Also, it's hard to see but the doors on the glass cab with glass knobs don't line up. Finally, our RH Gilmore knobs had many knicks on them from being banged around in a box as they were delivered from the US. We exchanged them for RH Hanson knobs...they look better!

I am amazed by the craftmanship and am so happy with how they turned out. I started crying one day to my husband, as this finally feels like our home after living in it for three years. I couldn't believe that our kitchen looks like this.

Have to choose a backsplash soon. I'm still back and forth between a white glass or some type of ceramic. I also don't know how we'll handle the backsplash for the stained desk area. Hubby will wall mount his computer screen there so I don't want anything too busy. The granite templating was today, and hopefully the granite will go in this week.

• annettacm
    15 years ago

I had been wondering why the handles and knobs were already on some of the cabinets. Mine weren't put on on until the very end. Why did they put them on so soon? Did the cabinets come from Restoration Hardware, too?

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annettacam - Our cabinetmaker decided to put on the pulls and drill holes for the knobs (since they hadn't come in yet) in the warehouse as they had all the tools in the workshop to drill them on properly. The cabinets were from a custom cabinetmaker, not RH - I don't think they're in the business of doing custom cabs.

• jen4268
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is coming together so beautifully, I know you are excited! I can't wait to see it with the granite, keep the pictures coming....

• dollymibella
    15 years ago

More pictures please! It's hard to give advice without seeing everything together or seeing the swatches. Looks great so far!

• annettacm
    15 years ago

I didn't think RH did cabs, but then I never knew IKEA did kitchens, too... not having one in my area. I wasn't sure ;) I'm learning new things all the time here! :) Seems to me RH should create cabs to go with their fancy pulls! Oh, but then they'd be Restoration Cabinetry, not hardware... OH.. HARDWARE... I get it now.

Can't wait for more pics!

• bdaykitchen
    15 years ago

SO beautiful! I'm inspired (and a bit envious, I must admit-as ours looks like it will be October before we even get started on demo)!

We're looking to do an off-white perimeter shaker-like cabinet with dark island. How did you & your cabinet maker decide on detail of cabinet? Is there a name for this detail?

Really can't wait to see more as you progress! Continued good luck.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks bdaykitchen!! I hope you get the kitchen of your dreams. Our cabinet style is recessed panel, inset doors, framed. The panelling on the doors and the valances have (I think it's called) a beaded detail which gives it just a touch of detail without being too busy.

The cabinet style for the dark stained wood (island and pantry) was a happy mistake, as we originally asked for raised panel to make it look different from the white cabinets. They made all of the cabinets the same detail which I think looks really nice and clean, and classic.