Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

Interesting hoods - please post pics!

ssdarb
10 years ago

I want to do something different or interesting with my vent hood cabinet, but I don't know what. It will be a vent insert with the cabinet around it, but beyond that I don't know what to do. It could be really simple, having a ledge where I could place a painting or art object, or it could be wrapped in exposed old rustic wood or something else interesting.

Any ideas?

Comments (32)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I enjoyed that, deeageaux. Strayer, I'd suggest you evaluate your space, how wide and tall your hood should be. Then start an idea book on houzz and add pictures of what you like until you narrow down materials and style. Meanwhile, consider where you will buy this hood: a local cabinet maker or metal worker? Modernaire, Rangecraft, or another company? Maybe you'll DIY with framework and stucco? If you have an extra ten thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket, you can spend it on a hood but you can also do it for less.

• doonie
    10 years ago

Strayer, I started with a hood obsession too. There are some really neat interesting ones out there. Wow, Deeageaux, those are some really phenomenal hoods you posted. I think you'd have to have quite a house to effectively use them. I think they are really exceptional eye candy! Kksmama has some great advise; it's really important to consider how the hood will fit into your entire design.

I came to realize that I needed to tone down my hood want for my space in relation to what else I had going on. I ended up with a fairly simple traditional wood hood with a shelf. We had to build a "stop" for the platter to rest on after the ledge was installed.

There are some gardenweb members with really cool metal hoods. It would be great if they add their hoods to this thread. Here's my simple hood:

• taggie
    10 years ago

doonie, your hood looks fabulous!

strayer, here is mine. I found a picture of a similar 36" hood in a brochure and asked my cabinet maker to craft a 48" version of it and here is what he made for us:

• taggie
    10 years ago

strayer, here is a picture of my favorite hood ever.... it's clergychick's that she designed as a replica of a mantle from her grandfather's farmhouse.

I almost copied the exact same hood because I love it so much but in the end we didn't think our space could support it. But it's still in my idea file in case we ever build a new kitchen.... meanwhile I contented myself with just copying her ornaments, lol. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: clergychick's Traditional Cream Kitchen

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

First, interesting, but perhaps not of interest to you :)

{{!gwi}}

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

DH made a 65" paneled 'hood'. It houses our 53" insert, over our 48" CC. I'm still trying to figure out how to 'decorate' it....

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 6:48

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

P.S. deeageaux - love the hoods you posted. While functionally, I'm very pleased with our solution, I rather lust after the really fun hoods.

• pentimento
    10 years ago

Ivette's kitchen is one of my favorites; she included a simple yet unique and beautiful hood. You can read more about her kitchen at atticmag dot com by following the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivette's kitchen

• doonie
    10 years ago

There is one stainless/pewter metal hood that is curved that I really like. I can't remember which gardenwebber had it in their white kitchen.

I did find this website with handcrafted metal hoods. Maybe I'll get one for my second kitchen!

Just kidding! But I am lusting after them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Handcrafted Metal Hoods

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

There are tons of 'em here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modernaire examples

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

I have to post my favorite hood pic, from HGTV RMS site:

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Now some range hoods for "eccentrics."

hammered Zinc hood not paint nor stone veneer.

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome! Thanks! I will make an idea book of hood. Those are wonderful pictures!

• phiwwy
    10 years ago

I love this thread! We are loving our Modernaire hood - it's done in oil rubbed bronze with blackened steel accents (lip, rivets and strapping).

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

I'm hoping my GC can tell me this type of hood style is within the financial range of reason..because while simple I love it :d

Here is a link that might be useful: [Hood on houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/space-to-expand-traditional-kitchen-philadelphia-phvw-vp~149773)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

niteshadepromises,

Stone veneer is cheap.

$5-$15/sq ft.

You don't need that much.

When people are doing an entire wall or the entire exterior of the house it can be expensive but not for a hood.

But if your contractor does not want to do it then he will quote an outrageous number for labor so you will pick something off the shelf.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Right, Niteshade. This is a frame made out of 2x4s bolted to the wall, covered with plywood or drywall, with insert and vent pipe mounted inside it, with shelf mounted on front, then covered with thin stone.

Any carpenter could knock it together in very short order. Anyone who's ever mortared anything could cover it.

I'm glad you've fallen in love with it because you should be able to both get something distinctive and special to you AND save money over buying any but the cheapest readymades.

Now this, sadly, might be a bit more difficult to copy.

Murano glass hood, illuminated from inside

This post was edited by rosie on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 7:56

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I am so enjoying this post. I really DO NOT like the looks of my XO stainless hood (it is very utilitarian, no aesthetics at all) but it sure does an amazing job of removing cooking odors.

I am being reminded of what a simple gal I am as look at these hoods. The most stunning, IMO, are the simple classic ones.

Doonie, I love your hood. It looks lovely in your kitchen and can't imagine anything could be more complimentary.

Taggie, I love your beautiful hood too and Clergychicks's replica of her DGF's mantle is so cool. How neat to have honored her grandfather that way.

Oldbat, (I can't get over calling you oldbat because I think you are anything but), the hood that your DH built is gorgeous. I absolutely swoon over that hood and your gorgeous backsplash.

Phyl, beautiful hood and fits your kitchen so well.

Deedles, I will sigh with you over that luscious hood. It is so simple but the scalloped edge really makes it a knockout!

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

So many beautiful hoods! The GW kitchens look like magazine photos. Just lovely.

Deedles, that simple hood is a great idea. I wonder how to make that work. Does it look like the wall above the hood extends out to house the venting and blower?

Here's my dream hood. I found the photo on a blog that said it is a french antique.

Does anyone know if there is a fabricator that can reproduce from a photo like this?

What a great thread!

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

crazybusytoo,

I would contact the following to get a quote.

www.modernaire.com

www.prizerhoods.com

www.rawurth.com

Modern Aire would give the most functional hood not sure if they can match the finish.

Rah Urth probably the most beautiful and expensive. If they can't match the finish they probably know who can.

But I would contact them all.

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

Thanks deeageaux!! I'll be contacting them this week. I appreciate your help!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Also try Copperworks in Petaluma CA...they got me a quote on an interesting one with pounded metal that I am still looking at.

Loving this thread and seeing all of the cool hoods......still contemplating my marble wrapped hood.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

phylhl- do you mind revealing how much your hood cost? My cabinet company is having a hard time doing exactly what I want and I thought I would consider other options. I really like yours and think it would add a great look to my kitchen. Don't know if it's in my price range though. I know a lot of those hoods can be upwards of $8000.

crazybusytoo- the hood you posted a photo of is gorgeous! Did you ever get any info on price?

Thx:)

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

lcsk: Prizer thinks they can copy it without any problem, but the zinc in the photo is aged patina, so it won't look like that for a while. My project is moving sloooowww and I just followed up with Prizer this week.

I will keep you posted. Or you can email my contact at Prizer: mtrapp@bluestarcooking.com

Keep me posted!

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

For those considering Prizer, I can vouch for them. They custom made my hood to my specs. I am very pleased with the quality, and fit and finish!

This post was edited by ctycdm on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 20:31

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

OK, here's mine. I like it because it is simple. I was surprised that it is so different from any of the others posted.
    So, FWIW:

It is a custom ModernAire. About half of the cabinet above it is taken up by the exhaust motor and fan. I store paper towels and other seldom accessed stuff in the remaining spaces.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 19:28

• phorbin
    10 years ago

here is mine

• allison0704
    10 years ago

This is one of my favorite vintage hoods:

There's another picture in the article. fyi, the deer plaque is wood, not taxidermy.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Holllywood Italianate Kitchen

This post was edited by allison0704 on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 12:26

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

I love this one--an antique onion-dome aviary frames the kitchen range hood