Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maximum unsupported granite span for desk?

Posted by diy_mike (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 19:37

I am putting in a desk area in my kitchen with a 3ft area
where you legs will go when sitting at the desk.

Will 3cm thick granite span 3ft okay? Each side is supported by one or two cabinets.

BTW we picked our granite today.. Costal Green!

Thanks,
DIY Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maximum unsupported granite span for desk?

If the granite is set at normal desk height, 30"; then a 36" wide drawer unit could be placed such that it is attached to both side cabinets and the rear wall. Now the granite will be supported on all four sides.

We spanned 24" for the dish washer, using 2" cleats on the rear and end walls. To clear span 36" with no support other than a cleat on the rear wall I think is pushing the limits. Having some steel bars let into the underside of the granite would do the trick however

o

If you do it like a table with stretcher bars mortised into the legs, you should be fine. No way I'd do what you're talking about otherwise, even with cleats supporting the rear. Just make it a small table, and you can even put a desk drawer into the stretcher, but make sure they are strong enough and actually supporting the granite.

o

I was told by two different fabricators it was three feet in the situation you're describing - cabinets on both sides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another source

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here