Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mazy123_gw

Loving my acid washed marble

mazy123
11 years ago

Just wanted to post about acid washed marble since I couldn't find much info about it when I was making my marble decision. I got Carrara marble and the place that fabricated recommends an acid wash finish that basically pre etches the surface. Then they put four coats of sealer on it. I have had it for about two months and so far it has been great. No etches or staining yet. It is not shiny since the acid hones it and it has a different type of feel than just regular honed marble. I really like the feel of it and everyone that comes over can't stop touching it. Hope this helps anyone that might be thinking about marble.

Comments (40)

• beeps
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sounds interesting! Can you post a few pics?

• lascatx
    11 years ago

A lot (maybe all?) of honed marble is acid washed as part of the honing process. It comes in polished slabs, so they have to take the polish off, which is easiest to do with acid. Then they buff it to the desired degree and to make it more uniform. Sounds like yours was not buffed.

• vickevette
    11 years ago

Hi Mazy123

My fabricator mentioned this option and said it looks really cool, but did not save any samples from the job he did. If you could post some pics, that would be wonderful! Thanks in advance.

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

I'm sure hoping Mazy peeks back into this thread. I'd definitely consider marble if the look is consistent throughout and I like it.

• petuniatwelve
    11 years ago

No staining? Not even from olive oil or mayonnaise? What type so sealer did you use?

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I'm also curious to see acid washed marble.

Petunia--my honed Carrara doesn't stain from anything, including mayo or oil.

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am about to post my finished kitchen pictures in the next couple of days. I will take some close up ones of the marble too.

No staining from anything. The sealer they used was bulletproof sealer. I can find out.

Lascatx, I don't know what the process was like exactly. I can call them and find out more details.

Fabricators were Dominion Marble and Granite in Ashburn VA.

If I leave a glass out or something leaves a smudgy, etchy looking mark, I just wipe it off with a towel and it is gone.

I will find out more today and report back.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Mazy--thanks for posting this info. Still trying to digest. Very much looking forward to seeing pics of your marble so I can compare it to my honed Carrara. Thanks!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Very interesting! Maybe one of our stone experts will comment as well...

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I think some fabricators are using marketing techniques to try to make their stone sound more special.

You have honed marble that is much like any honed marble anyone here has bought in recent years. Mine 6 years ago had acid -- I was told the same acid we use to pH balance our pool, poured and smoothed across the surface, washed off and then buffed to a uniform finish. Once delivered and brought into the house and laid flat, there was an area that did not appear uniform so they took it outside and I watched them give it another splash and buff. Same stuff, but my guys just call it honed.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with what they are doing (unless they are charging more than the rest of the market there). Perhaps they are even being more accurate in some respects since all marble that I've ever been aware of is polished at the quarry and has to be honed on this end. It's like granite names -- their are common names, but there is no standardizing.

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

breezygirl, I know it is a lot of info to take in. I am getting ready to post pictures once my doors get back on after getting repainted.

lascatx, I don't know any more about what is done than what Austin wrote me. I do know that my acid washed marble feels different than the honed slabs that I felt in my marble search. I also took home marble samples from different fabricators and Dominon's acid washed sample was different and the one I was happiest with so I don't think that they are just calling their honed marble acid washed just to market it differently.

Interesting that yours had acid on it too. Have you been happy with it? Does yours feel different too?

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I've been very happy with mine. I knew I didn't want shiny granite in my kitchen. At the time, there weren't as many people installing marble in kitchens or choices for either the stone or finish. I was just happy to find someone who had spent some time in Europe and understood what I wanted and had no qualms about helping me get it. I didn't really find a lot of variations to try on, but you could certainly have a variety of final effects depending on how much acid is poured on, how long it is left on and how the stone is treated after it is washed off -- mainly on a scale of a bit rough to semi-polished. The closer you get to polished, the more that etching is going to show up.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    11 years ago

The use of acids to hone marbles is interesting to me. While it may produce good results on some marbles other marbles which exhibit certain characteristics or of lesser quality(lower grade)may not fare so well.If the stone has weaker minerals that are more susceptible to attack from acids such as weaker veining systems or certain minerals it may be eroded to the point where it will look like an antiqued finish. Anyone who has polished marble and has gotten etch marks know that those etched areas can be prone to soiling more easily as the stone is open(rough texture). Some stones may become too rough using this process to maintain easily even with a proper sealing job. Under a microscope the the stone after acid washing may look like a thomases english muffin(knooks and cranies). This can make maintaining the surface harder.
    If the fabricator is knowledgeable of the stone he or she can produce good results. I Think similar and in some cases better results can be obtained using different types of abrasives to establish a honed finish. Using silicone carbides and aluminum oxides are one way of honing marble in a much safer way.
    When your acid washed counter needs to be refinihed(someday) you don't really want to give it an acid wash using toxic products like muriatic acid in your home.
    Muriatic acid is just plain nasty to work with in your kitchen. It can etch glass with the fumes(which are very toxic). Please keep in mind a stone refinisher can achieve the same results with out using harsh acids.

• ww340
    11 years ago

I tried to talk my husband into an acid washed marble for his bathroom vanity. It was very different from honed. It gave it an antiqued look. It emphasized all the nooks and crannies of the marble. It was a much rougher finish than honed.

• sydneyleigh
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the info!

I'm about to do marble in my kitchen, and we've been debating over acid-washed or honed. Actually, we are in VA too, and Dominion is one of the companies we're looking into. I would love to see photos of your countertops. And I would also love to hear more about your experience with Dominion. What did you end up paying per square foot? We're finding prices vary widely around here! How was the installation?

Thanks so much!

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Sydneyleigh, Sorry I am just seeing this now. I sent you an email with my contact info. Hope you get that.

Somebody from the kitchen forums came to see my kitchen today. She saw I lived in Northern Virginia and wanted to see the marble in real life. I am happy for anyone that wants to come to Ashburn to see it and touch it.

Hope that helps.

• MelYoung
    11 years ago

@MAZY123 - Hi there - I think I helped that lady yesterday. I'm the in house design consultant at Avanti Marble & Granite and she came to select her stone and told me that story. What a small world!

• drewem
    11 years ago

Would it be possible to post a picture of your countertops? Thanks!

• catkin
    11 years ago

bumping for pics

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone, Here is my first attempt at posting a picture. Hope it works!

MelYoung, That is such a small world story!!

• sydneyleigh
    11 years ago

Hi Mazy123,

Just wanted to send you a quick note to say thanks for your help! Seeing your counters helped my husband envision in them our space a bit more. And now he's completely on board with the acid-washing - thank goodness! He's got a few days off in October, and we will be using them to get all the details nailed down for the re-do. Maybe we'll have a new kitchen by the new year!

Also, we met with Bonnie last night, and totally loved her! I was very impressed by her knowledge of cabinetry and attention to detail. I'm excited to see how she transforms our builder-grade maple cabinets!

Thanks again!

• angel411
    11 years ago

Cool kitchen...we need more pics!

• martipat
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone, I'm the person that went to go see Mazy123's kitchen. I am so happy I did. First, it just solidified my decision to go with marble and I am so happy that I got to see first hand what her marble looked like. One word - beautiful! It was smooth yet had a just the tiniest bit of texture and there was not an etch in site! The only issue is that not all fabricators acid wash marble - mine doesn't so I will have to go down the honed route. However, for everyone that can still have this as an option I would seriously consider it! I can't wait for Mazy to post more pics of her kitchen it was incredibly beautiful and it inspired me a great deal! And yes, I got my marble at Avanti (I told them about your marble Mazy123! - it is a small world :) ). Thanks again for letting me come in and see your kitchen...

• jpageturney
    9 years ago

Do you still love it after two years? Debating the same thing with the same company!

• jpageturney
    9 years ago

In case anyone else finds this helpful, the original poster very kindly called me and still loves her countertops. Many meals later, there has been no staining and the little bit of etching does not bother her. The acid wash, as billed, makes the etching harder to see. Will be installing the same next month!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Thanks for update.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Jpage, please post pics. Excited for you!

• Sally Layman
    6 years ago

Can you tell me the formula for the Acid wash parts muriatic acid to water? I have a honed hexagon tile floor that has grout film and is shiny in some areas.

• trish chapman
    5 years ago

we have the carrara marble for an island in the kitchen. it has been a nightmare! we have had it sanded and sealed twice. the other day i was at a home tour where the fabricator shared this process with me. i would love to try it as my island currently looks terrible. please let me know how you are liking yours.

• lisav41
    5 years ago
    I know this is an older thread but we are thinking about going with acid washed marble (actually, it’s a Dolomite called Mont Blanc but it’s softer like marble). Curious to learn if people were happy with this process, and if it held up well over the years. Thanks in advance!
  • Jen Pankuch
    2 years ago

I was doing a google search on acid washed marble and this post/thread showed up! We use Dominion Granite and Marble in Ashburn and we work with Christian. He also suggested the acid wash and I am so glad to have found this post and testimonial of it’s funtion and durability! We are definitely taking his recommendation and having it done on our new kitchen carrera marble countertops. We currently have exoctic quartz which takes any kind of daily use, spills, etc. so going to natural stone with it’s characteristics has me a little nervous but I feel less hesitant now that I read your post!

• fern hill
    2 years ago

Hello, I also visited Mazy123's kitchen back in 2013. After seeing how gorgeous it looked, I had Dominion install acid washed carrara in my kitchen. Its now more than 9 years later and the counters still look great. It does etch ever so slightly, but the etches are nearly invisible unless viewed at a specific angle. You really have to hunt. I'm also able to remove them by rubbing the area with a slightly acidic cleaner such as barkeeper's friend (oxalic acid). That was not something Dominion advised, I just took it upon myself to try it and it worked!

My counters have NEVER stained. I've resealed them maybe twice over the years with bulletproof and have had no issues. I will say I don't have children and my husband and I are careful to wipe up spills quickly, but we cook and entertain frequently. I love the look and feel and would do it again!

• Y Ortiz
    2 years ago

@fern hill what about hot things? if you accidentally place something hot in it? does it go bad? can i see a oicture of yours?

• fern hill
    2 years ago

Hi, Here is my kitchen. I never put hot things directly on my marble. But that has nothing to do with the acid washing or the sealer. Its just not a good idea, as almost any stone could crack from thermal shock, especially if it has a fissure or weak vein. The cutting board next to my stove stays there always to act as a landing pad for hot pots. Plus it adds warmth to the white on white color scheme, acts as a work surface, and looks pretty with the floor! BTW-Another reason to have some handy boards is that carrara marble "bruises" if you knock it with a pot or even put a coffee mug down too hard. It'll get a little white fleck that will never go away, caused by the crystals in the stone getting crushed. Hence the round board near the coffee maker! The marks are usually not very noticeable but I dont want to tempt fate. Again, these marks will happen in any carrara, regardless of how its finished or sealed. I hope this info helps. i'm happy to try and answer any other questions.

• Y Ortiz
    2 years ago

@fern hill beautiful kitchen!! thank you for the advice! I will take that into consideration. 🤩

• fern hill
    2 years ago

One correction! I just checked and I no longer use Bulletproof sealer. I remember now that a new product came out, also recommended by Dominion, called: DryTreat Stanproof original impregnating breathable sealer. Of course there might be an even newer product, but thats what I've been using with excellent results.

• fern hill
    2 years ago

Sorry, Dry Treat Stain-Proof. Typo!

• Y Ortiz
    2 years ago

Thank you!!!