Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laremodel_gw

Glacier White quartz - natural stone

LARemodel
9 years ago

I went to the slab yards this morning in search of surface materials for my upcoming master bath remodel. I looked at natural stone slabs for the vanity top.

I'm considering Glacier White - which they described as a quartzite - it was identified as quarried in Brazil, where a lot of quartzite is quarried, but it was marked as "quartz." In looking for other examples of Glacier White on the internet, I found one site that describes it as a "precious stone." Another site says it's from Turkey.

I noticed that Glacier White looks translucent, and they told me that it can be backlit. The same yard also has Lumix quartzite, which can be backlit, but the Lumix was busier and had red streaks that looked like bright red paint. Another stone yard has Cristallo and Princess White, which are translucent quartzites as well. The Cristallo was too busy for me, but the Princess White is a possibility.

The names are so confusing to me. Perla Venata and Taj Majah quartzites look identical to me - they come from two different mountains in the same quarry.These two are also possibilities for the bathroom vanity top - and very similar to the Mont Blanc quartzite in my kitchen. The slab yard where I purchased the Mont Blanc now has an entire aisle devoted to Mont Blanc, whereas other slab yards have Taj Majah instead.

I had to pry myself away from the Calcatta Vision Extra marble - it doesn't really go well with my house - I may have to move if I want it. Same with Sequoia Brown, which is described as a "soft" quartzite, whatever that means.

There's no chance of my getting a sample of the Glacier White to do any testing on it.

Anyone on GW have any experience with Glacier White? Does it behave like a quartzite?

Comments (2)