Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pugler

Barker cabinet doors with Ikea cabinets? Has anyone done this?

pugler
10 years ago

I have long been inspired by Vsalz' beautiful kitchen with the Cabinetnow doors with the Ikea bases and have read many posts here about Barker doors. In my situation, I am extending my kitchen and trying to reuse some of my old cabinets, Barker offers the closest match. I will be painting them also. Am I correct to assume one may purchase the Ikea bases without doors? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

The problem with Ikea and Barker vs. say Ikea and Scherr is that Barker can't really help you with door sizes, etc. at all.

Here are some threads about it from his forum and Chad is really, really good about answering questions via e-mail but it's definitely not like Scherr where you just tell them the Ikea cab size and they automagically know the right door size.

I personally ended up going all Barker partly because I found the idea of having to determine the door measurements kind of daunting but mainly because by going Barker, I could get them custom sized which helped me a lot. I have a 26" cab, a 40" sink base etc., Barker has better trim choices and so on which would not have been possible with the Ikea.

It was more $$ than the Ikea/Barker combo would have been but in the end we decided it was worth it and are quite happy we did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barker Forum Ikea

• eam44
    10 years ago

You may absolutely purchase Ikea cabinets without doors either online or in person, whichever you prefer.

Each cabinet is really a collection of, say,10 items, each with a part #. At the store, a kitchen person will add the cabinet you want in a Harlig door, for example, and then go in and just remove the door, leaving the other 9 items in your cart. If you go this route, double check size, configuration, and frame color (birch or white) while they're typing it in. Mistakes happen.

If you're doing this online, simply select the item you want in the configuration you want, and click on the
    "Show dimensions, weight and article numbers"
    link. Then copy each article number into the search button at the top of the page, and the item will appear. Buy it online. Repeat with the next 9 part #s. When you come to a door, just don't buy it.

GW is great for some types of info, but you should really check out the Ikeafans web site for more guidance. In order to use Barker doors, you will need the measurements for the doors. You can find these on the Ikea web site if you look hard enough, or you can check out the Ikeafans link below. You'll have to look up info on hinge cup cut out size and location. Barker will cut them wherever you want them, but you need to know what to select/ask for.

It is worth comparing the cost of a Barker Cabinet vs. Ikea/Barker Door. For ordinary cabs there's not that big a savings to be had with Ikea. For tall pantry/oven cabinets, or corner cabinets, the difference is substantial. Also, when ordering through Barker Door, make sure to take note of the maximum door width that differs among styles.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Measurements

• dojey
    10 years ago

So is there anybody on here that has the measurement details for the hinge cups? The measurements from ctaylor6 are extremely useful... but it's the hinge cups which are causing my paralysis.

I've actually bought all my boxes and such from Ikea... just not the fronts. Would really like to go with Barker Doors because they'll finish it as well (going for pure white).

Anybody have any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea kitchen planner design

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

dojey:

Find a cabinet shop familiar with the 32mm system. Negotiate a price, have the doors delivered and drilled then pick them up. Not a usual DIY project.

• dojey
    10 years ago

Terbuchet, thanks for the quick response. If I understand correctly, you're saying to order the doors with no holes/hinge cups, take them to the local place to get them drilled, and then take them home and install per usual?
    (didn't get the email saying there was a response up.. *^.^*)

• Hillside House
    9 years ago

^ This is my #1 dislike of the Houzz thing. 18-month-old threads being bumped by a pro shilling for jobs.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Gennifer, try flagging it as spam (the little gray flag to the right of the name) and see if Houzz will get rid of pro-spam.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

pugler & dojey,

I bought IKEA cabinet boxes & the blum hardware. I cut a few of the cabinets down because they didn't come in the size I wanted w/ IKEA. So, that makes those 2 cabinets, not IKEA friendly. I've been talking w/ Tanner at Scherrs & he is amazing. They know all of the IKEA sizing & can bore the hinge holes for you. Even w/ the 2 cabinets I have, they are going to make the doors to fit those cabinets, essentially custom, & figure out where the holes need bored for the hardware. They aren't going to guarantee those doors, but I have faith in them to know where they need to go. They do this everyday. I may be wrong, but I do believe they will paint the fronts. Not 100% sure if they'll do any color you want or if they just have a few different colors. They may do a color in particular for you, if you have the exact paint color. Maybe get it yourself & send it to them?? Worth a shot to see if they'd go for it. Tanner is a huge help & very patient w/ all of my questions. Good luck!

• User
    9 years ago

Just remember that the NEW Ikea cabinets are NOT the same size as the old ones. Aftermarket door suppliers may not have the new measurements yet since the line was just released. Double check those measurements before ordering!

• homechef59
    9 years ago

I just ordered painted cabinets from Scherr's. I gave them my paint color, SW Dover White. They didn't hesitate. While I used Scherr's, I know that it is one of two stock colors at Barker's. I assume that Scherr's would do any color you wanted. They were very cooperative.