Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 1/2 years w/o backsplash...How about this?

Posted by sandesurf (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 19:15

I know, I know, "Let the granite be the star", but I'm just not feeling it.

Go ahead, please give your opinions or suggestions.

Thank you!

This kitchen is in our vacation/retirement home, in AZ. I'm going for a Southwest/rustic look?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 1/2 years w/o backsplash...How about this?

Another view

o

Remember me? :)

o

It is interesting and the colors work together but I find it too busy with the granite. Sorry. I have busy granite too and plan to do a large solid tile in a brick pattern.

Having said that, we all see things differently and appreciate different levels of detail. I am on the low end of the scale for pattern mixing. :)

o

I want to tile the whole stove wall, counter to bottom of cabinets, but then go low, under windows, and stay low to the end of peninsula.

o

The glass mosaic is completely at odds with what you say your vision is--it isn't rustic and it could only marginally be described as Southwest.

I'll admit to a bit of a bias toward this sort of mosaic, since I have seen many kitchens go horribly wrong with them. I think it is very easy for them to overwhelm a space when used over a large area.

Here is a mockup of the range wall. I subbed in the granite from the other pic--everything in the range wall pic seem to be colorshifted a bit pink. Maybe your tastes are different than mine, but I find that much mosaic to be TOO much.

o

cawaps: Yikes! That's what I was afraid of. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that!

cheryleb: I have been on the low end of pattern mixing as well, for over two years, and it's gotten me nowhere. I thought I'd go bold! LOL
But, after seeing that mock-up...yuck!

o

I thought it looked nice in your pic with the sample. The mock-up does make it look like a bit much. Hard to say...

o

If you want a southwest rustic look you should really look for a handmade ceramic tile and I think a square rather than a subway will get you where you want to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: fireclay matte tile

o

That's the problem....you look at a sample and it looks great, you love it...but seen over and over in a line...well, you got the picture! Try this next time..make enough color copies for that stove wall, tape them up, and live with it for a few days. A few dollars in copies could save you a lot of $ and also help you decide a direction....plainer, busier, squares, rectangles, etc.

o

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the advice!
I guess I don't really know what "style" is...
I was trying to stay away from squares but will
give them another look.

Thanks!!! Keep the ideas coming please!

o

Beautiful stone and coloring. Yes, something simple to highlight it, not overwhelm, tower over. You've got enough pattern and texture already with some on the floor too.

o

I think you would be happier with a neutral colored tile. Maybe a tumbled stone?

o

Google suzatwork's kitchen on GW, very similar to yours. How about tumbled marble with copper or bronze accents? However, the metal inserts may be too busy with all of your accents already in the kitchen.

o

Rustic Southwest is not my specialty, but have you considered using a metal tile mosaic? The antique copper ones below would look lovely with the granite and the cabs.

o

I think I'm going to have to agree that a multi-color mosaic is going to be much too busy with a busy granite.
I think the interest will need to be in the pattern vice the color.

o

Love those metal tiles. Thank you! And you're so right about suzatwork's kitchen. I thought I wanted some accents like that, but I can see the beauty of plain tile.

I came across this picture while looking up typhoon bordeaux kitchens on Yahoo.
I like it, but does anyone recognize the tile?

o

I have a hunch those are travertine tiles.

o

Too close in look to our floor tiles, right? Our floor is not travertine though...

o

Re Karen's suggestion of Fireclay tiles. They are really beautiful and come in a TON of colors. They have a handmade quality but a touch of sophistication too.

o

Take a look at Syzygy tile, there are actually a southwestern company in Silver City NM. I will be using them in my kitchen which has a rustic modern vibe. They amazingly beautiful handmade tiles. They have a more earthy feel then Fireclay IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Syzygy Tile

o

Sandesurf, Typhoon Bordeaux right? I love it and have it in my kitchen. The area around your sink looks so much like my granite. Isn't it lovely? I am going to go with a crackle subway tile. I am hoping my tile/flooring guy has the line available that I want. I really want a vintage look and I think the crackle tile with a simple listello border will be just the ticket.

o

have you considered terracotta or concrete tiles? i think they would give you a rustic look. i fourth looking at fireclay. also, there are some real beauties by tabarka and ken mason ( beautiful but pricey). i have used and liked a brand called arto brick too. maybe they might have something that catches your eye.

o

my goodness, there are so many different tiles and stores!
Love the look of the sygyzy tiles. They are amazing, as are the fireclay. I see there are a couple of stores within 50 miles of me. I'll have to track them down. What the heck, it's already been 2 1/2 years...

o

Holly-Kay, YES, TP! Love it too! :)

Do you know what brand/color of crackle tile you're going to use? I took a sample of a crackle tile out there, and didn't think the color was quite right. Can't remember the name of it, but I would remember if I heard it.

o

Just for fun, thought I'd post a pic of where we started from! :)

Tile shopping today...

This was NOT our old kitchen, but the way we bought the house!

o

I really like the Syzygy tile, and did two more mockups. This one uses their Graystone tile. Their tile comes in a zillion shapes and sizes, so if this is boring, they would be many ways to spice it up, even keeping a uniform color.

o

And again in their Portobello color.

o

I too have Typhoon Bourdeux in our new kitchen( we move in 2 weeks) And while its a busy granite, I went with a ivory 3x6 subway tile in brick style turned out really nice, I was going for a clean look and wanted to keep our focal point on the granite itself also our cabinetry in kitchen is dover white looks really nice! I would keep your backsplash simple because the granite is really amazing..Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here