Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_2008

Has anyone done Dore Royal subway tile?

young_2008
15 years ago

I've been agonizing over the decision to do this creamy marble subway tile or do it in 4x4 on the diagonal with some deco tiles. I'm afraid the subway will be too plain even though the Dore Royal is quite beautiful. If anyone has done it please show me your photos!!!!! I can't believe how stressed out I am over a backsplash! Thanks

Comments (8)

• gfiliberto
    15 years ago

I have tumbled Dore Royal marble 4x4 tiles straight up with small ceramic flower accents. The harlequin mosaic over my range has polished Dore Royal and Durango Limestone.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

my subways aren't dore, but they are marble. i love the way the backsplash came out, but we wanted plain because there are quite a few other elements in our kitchen that are more 'flashy'.

• young_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much! Your kitchens are beautiful. It is so helpful. Artteacher, I'd love to see more pictures! I love your cabinets too. The marble I am getting is polished Dore Royal. I didn't know it came tumbled too. Is yours called "Time worn"? Thanks for posting!!!

Edlakin, did you use 1/8" spacers or smaller on your subway? I love the look of your subway.

• gfiliberto
    15 years ago

I haven't heard the term "time worn". It was just called tumbled marble. Here are some more pictures~

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• edlakin
    15 years ago

wow. that's one gorgeous tile job, artteacher.

young, my grout joint is 1/8", but i wish it was smaller.

if you're worried that plain marble subways will be too plain, you can always do something similar to what artteacher did above her range. we considered doing the same tiles we have now, but also framing out something like this:

{{!gwi}}

that's tile from the same line, so the marble would match. i thought it would be a great look, but in the end, we decided to keep the backsplash plain. another option would be to frame out a section of the same tile, but laid in a different pattern, like a herringbone.

• young_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks artteacher. You should be very proud of yourself. You have a gorgeous backsplash! Thanks again for posting.

"edlakin" thanks for your ideas too. I am leaving my granite behind my stove even though my installer doesn't like it. My husband is a major cook and I'm afraid the marble will not wipe clean like granite. I hope it isn't a terrible mistake. The subway will just come out from either side of the granite. I'll post a photo soon. Thanks, Janice

• gabeach
    15 years ago

Edlakin,
    is your tile 3x6?
    It looks like it could be larger in the photo.
    Very pretty. I tried the link to the Tile Shop you posted; no luck.
    TIA.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

yes, it's 3x6. the tile shop had it listed as 7.5 cm x 15 cm.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!