Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gothaml

If you have a microwave drawer, how wide is your aisle?

gothaml
10 years ago

We have 36" between countertops in our ktichen design (skinny 100+ yo brownstone). I could not figure out where to put the microwave, until I read a thread here about microwave drawers.

My question is: it looks like the handle sticks out a bit, for those of us graceful types who tend to run into things...how wide is your aisle in front of your microwave drawer? And do you run into the handle?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I have a 1957 galley kitchen in MCM house.

36.5" between countertops. I don't find it is a problem and don't think about it.

You could spend some extra change and get the Thermador which sits flush with cabinets with no handle.

• chicgeek
    10 years ago

We love the Microwave Drawer. I had never seen one before and when our designer suggested it, I was skeptical. It was the best option for our kitchen and it has worked out great. We have 37.5 inches between countertops.We haven't found the handle obtrusive in any way. Although we did consider the handle when we purchased our dishwasher which is in the opposite bank of cabinets. We choose a KitchenAid model that doesn't have a handle.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I wound up with about 40" from counter edge to edge, about 38" from front of micro drawer handle to opposite drawer handles and 23"when the micro drawer is open, The front does stick out a bit in front of the cabinets drawers and the counter top. I have a range top that also sticks out, and in my case, that sticks out further, so the micro is almost recessed by comparison. My knob to handle clearance at the range top is right at 36". It is not a problem for us, but as suggested, you could go with a version that is more flush fitting.

• taggie
    10 years ago

As stated above it sticks out a very little bit, but not as much as my range handles or dishwasher handles. The handle on mine protrudes less than an inch past the counter overhang. You will be perfectly fine with your 36" aisle, no worries.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County