Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunsoleil

Glass Tile Trim?

sunsoleil
10 years ago

I am leaning a bit more towards glass with my blue pearl granite, however, I have concerns about the two walls that I have that will need trim on the top and sides of the backsplash. I have seen installation videos and they suggest polishing the sides. For those of you that have glass, how have they treated the edges and are you happy with them. I love the finished look and choices of white ceramic, but it looks a bit too traditional. I had wanted a more contemporary element in the kitchen for a more transitional look. I also keep wavering on trim, thinking less may be more.

Comments (12)

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Our glass tile has a little bullnose effect to it, and both DH and GC talked me out of using liner tiles. So ours just ends with a bead of caulk. There aren't many places where the tile just ends - mostly it abuts the cabinets or windowsill.

But I think it can look good either way. It doesn't need trim, especially if you are going for a clean look.

• bcafe
    10 years ago

We used a Schluter edge to end our tiles. Our particular tile did not have a coordinating bullnose.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

We also used a Schluter edge on our glass tile. It comes in different finishes and different profiles. We got ours at a building supply discount store. It is available at some of the big box stores and most tile stores should have it. our edge is metal. I think that some of the edges such as their white one are made of some type of plastic. We paid about $20 for an 8ft length. It might come in longer lengths too. It can be cut.
    here is how our edge looks placed vertically

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My tile is going to extend beyond the kitchen cabinets and down to the extended countertop. How would I handle the right angle it would form?
    Bagergal, I love your tile! What is it?

• badgergal
    10 years ago

annalyn, My tile is called Shamrock Shake Multi. I bought it at a local flooring and tile store. They obtained it from a wholesale supplier called 21st Century Tile that distributes in the midwest. I do not know the actual manufacturer of the tile. 21st Century does have a website but I don't think they sell from their website.
    Here is a clearer picture of the tile. It coordinates perfectly with my Verde Peacock granite counters

In regards to the handling the right angle you will have, You could probably do a miter joint with 2 pieces of the Schluter edge or just have the have the vertical edge piece and the horizontal one meet at 90 degrees. My tile only runs vertically behnd my cooktop so I dont have any pictures with angles.

Maybe someone else who has used the Schluter edging will chime in.

Good luck with your tiling.

• bcafe
    10 years ago

Our white Schluter is metal. It is placed vertically as well so I don't have any corners or turns. I am really happy with it. Ours was purchased at a flooring store for ~$13 for about 8'. It was a special order.

• j_hack
    10 years ago

Bcafe... Can you post another photo of your backsplash? Maybe a further back photo. It looks very pretty!

• bcafe
    10 years ago

My tablet doesn't take the best pictures but here is a general idea of the splash.

• j_hack
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pic! It is gorgeous. What is it exactly? My wife likes it also which is saying something!

• bcafe
    10 years ago

The tile is 3x6 cobblestone glass by Bellavita. The color is Turenne.

• will2kz
    10 years ago

This is a mix of frosted and clear and blue/black glass tiles that I concocted from three different sheets. I wanted it to match a couple of design elements in my kitchen, namely my blue/black/white granite, and my frosted light fixtures. We are loving it.

• will2kz
    10 years ago

We also did the Schluter edge as the wall was too far to make the obvious stopping point.