Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintpanther

What is this on my new granite?

paintpanther
14 years ago

So i was cleaning my new and pretty countertop and noticed all these marks all over the stone. It is not noticeable unless you bent over at a certain angle, once at that angle, it is everywhere. Please tell me if this is normal on any stone? I know it is hard to see in picture, i have a hard time getting a good picture of it and this is best i can do:

HELP!!!

Comments (18)

• hsw_sc
    14 years ago

Are you referring to the areas that look "pitted" or "scratched"? If so, I believe that those are just the different crystals and natural fissures that make up your stone. I don't think you have anything to worry about as natural stone will never be perfectly glassy no matter how polished it is. Your stone is beautiful!

/if your friends start bending over unnaturally or contorting themselves to check for blemishes on your gorgeous counters, then find new friends ;)

• paintpanther
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hahaha you are so funny!!!

i am referring to those marks i really dont know how to describe them, it looks like dried glue or gooey stuff that is dried. it is spreaded all over, so no worries?

• User
    14 years ago

You have some very pretty granite there! We have one spot on our granite with something like that and it DRIVES me CRAZY. We were told that a spec of mica probably peeled off during the polishing process and there was not much they could do. I feel like it's a flaw because they actually tried to fix it first and then it got worse. Now even though it looks sort of out of place, I keep a plant on it just so I don't have to see it. :c(

• golddust
    14 years ago

It looks normal to me. Beautiful! It's God made. LOL!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Gorgeous stone....
    Are you talking about the little spots that look like unevenly applied clear nail polish (couldn't think how else to describe it) If that's what you're referring to my guess is that it's unevenly applied sealer. If so, you're fabricator can easily fix that. Enjoy that beautiful stone!

• drjgreenberg
    14 years ago

Paintpanther, I am no stone expert but I was at a stone yard last week and I swear I saw a few slabs that were filled in with acrylic. Sort of like there was an amorphous void a few inches or so when the stone was cut into a slab. So instead of trashing an otherwise gorgeous slab, it was filled in. At first it sort of looked like a chunk of yellow- a nice variation in the stone, but upon a more detailed look, I swear the stone was filled in. I rubbed my nail across it and the fell was different than the stone ans there was a slight seam where the suspected acrylic met the stone.

The slabs were outside and I was feeling them all. Yes there was dirt, but on some (many!) there was definitely mica chipping off. Not sure if the slabs get a final polish or not before leaving the yard or it is what it is.

Needless to say, after a saw 2 or 3 slabs with what I believe to be acrylic fill, I left.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

drgreenberg... that yellowish stuff probably meant the slab was resined. Thats often done when quarried or somewhere in the process to help protect the stone.

• paintpanther
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh you guys are making me nervouss....

let me try to draw those spots i will upload another picture so we all know what i am referring to...

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

I AM a stone expert.....

paintpanther - what t looks like to me is the "natural pitting" in the stone,
    however, i am not there beside you to touch the stone and see what you
    see, so it's possible that it's some kind of adhesive residue that got left
    on the stone by the Fabricator, or another trade.... it happens.

The first thing that I'd do if I were you, is pick up the phone and call your
    Fabricator, and let him/her know what is concerning you....

Then, get a "Widget" - you know, of of those little razor scrapers that you can
    use to scrape off paint and dirt off of glass. Try scraping the "spots" that are
    bothering you. I always keep some straight razors in my truck - JUST for this kind
    of a problem.

i went out to a guys house that I'd done - this was like..... 12 years ago.....
    and he was ADAMMENT (sp?) that his stone had a defect in it (Well.....GOD
    does NOT make mistakes - so that got ruled our pronto! - HA!!!) Anyways,
    I whipped out my trusty razor blade and scraped off the WALL PAPER PASTE
    RESIDUE from his granite....... needless to say - he was way embarrassed and
    tried to get me $20 bucks!!! I was like .... "Whoa....Keep your change dude!!!"

Anyways - try the razor and see if that helps

my .02 cents worth

kevin

• donka
    14 years ago

That looks like natural pitting to me too. Most of the granite samples I have have some sort of natural pits. I wouldn't worry about it, personally, but I'm not there to see it in person.

• paintpanther
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks everyone for the responses. i dont know how else to make it easier to understand what i am referring to so heres a picture, the greens are the spots i am referring to, and the location of the spots corresponds to the original picture:

Original:

Kevin: when i feel those marks with fingers, they are smooth, and doesnt feel like any residue. So i guess it is just natural pitting like most suggested?

Thanks again all!!

• gglks
    14 years ago

my stone has that also and i think it's natural pitting. i notice it more if certain lighting and sometimes is does drive me crazy but i think it's natural. if you have time, i would love to see a picture of your whole kitchen....not just a close up of the granite. i think your granite looks great and would love to see it....

• neesie
    14 years ago

Those are natural fissures in your natural stone. Mine has them too; like you said in your original post you can only see them if you are bent over at a certain angle. It's natural to be up close and inspecting when you first get the granite. You won't notice them after a while. Mine don't bother me at all. It's like the "genuine" seal of approval. I'd like to see a general picture, not an up-close of your granite. I'll bet it's beautiful.

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

I have the same exact thing on my Impala Black. I found out after it was installed and sealed that Impala Black is a hard granite that does not need / should not be sealed. As a result, the sealant absorbed in some places and not in other leaving an odd shiny and dull finish.

Jodi-

• paintpanther
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks all for the reassurance, glad it is nothing, phew!!!

Here are some pictures... without those spots =)

Bar:

Sink:

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Gorgeous stone! My guess is the spots you see that don't reflect light the same as the rest of the slab are probably resined areas. Or since "granite" is a loose term to describe a whole bunch of minerals all smooshed together, it may be just different minerals at the surface that reflect light differently. At any rate, I am sure it;s nothing to worry about.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

hey guys and gals-

looks to me like Paintpanther has a stonee known in AZ and other markets
    as "Delicatus" it is one of my personal faves for looks. I love the quartz deposits
    in it. I would have to say that what you all are seeing is could be small fissures
    in the stone, but also natural pitting as well - This is NOT a sign of defective
    or substandard stone.... It's s natural trait of the species of stone that you have
    selected.

What should have happened, was that your Fabricator (who it looks like, did
    a really nice job) should have shown you the stone - LAYING FLAT - to illustrate
    the spotting tendancies.... this would have prepared you for what you are
    seeing now - its always better in my opnion - to know what's coming -
    BEFORE it gets to your home...

Anyways - no worries - you have a really nice looking installation.

Enjoy it!!!!!!

kevin

• paintpanther
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ccoombs1, i am so very relieved.

Kevin, wow those compliments from you i cant ask for more!! We do have one small concern about the installation where there is a gap between granite and cabinets. Can I ask you for some comments?
    The gap post

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH