Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slonewby_gw

Slonewby backsplash update...IT'S HAPPENING!!

slonewby
11 years ago

Electrical isn't done yet but I couldn't wait......my backsplash is going in as I type! He just finished grouting...waiting to seal....IT'S SO PRETTY ! Thank you to everyone who suggested staying lighter! I'll post some completely finished pics but here is the progress.....

Comments (48)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

FAHHHH-BU-LOUSSSSS

• bahacca
    11 years ago

PUR-DY!

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

yes yes yes!!!!! i have been WAITING to see what you put in girl! thanks for sharing :) but if you are gonna post pics, you gotta post what the back splash is :-)

• slonewby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Missy! It's a super simple and super inexpensive beveled subway tile in cream from Bellavita Tile with alabaster sanded grout. Honestly, it is the PERFECT cream for Bianco Antico..warm/soft but not yellowy. I couldn't be happier (and hubby is still saying...needs color...haha....I can accessorize!)

Couldn't find an accent that I liked but when the switchplates go in, it will change the look too~

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Very pretty!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Of course we all knew it would end up beautiful, just like the rest of your kitchen! You so make all the right decisions :)

• glo1751
    11 years ago

It looks very, very pretty Slonewby. I was waiting to see how it looked and thought maybe you weren't going to post. So glad you did!

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Stunning! And I love all your teapots displayed in the uppers!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Love the lit glass cabs and gorgeous warm granite! CONGRATULATIONS!

• beeps
    11 years ago

That's lovely. You made a fantastic choice. Beautiful kitchen.

• biochem101
    11 years ago

SO......where are those finished pics???

Don't tell me you tore it all out. ;)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

How do you say Gorgeous!!!! So happy you are out of the ABB cub. Soon for me!
    Love those pendants in your kitchen - well love it all!
    Can't wait to see the final picture show!

• slonewby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, everyone! It's been a fun project...albeit, very confusing at times!

haha....biochem...I'm waiting for the finished pics too! >:-/ Interestiingly enough, my contractor...who has been a high end contractor for the past 17 years, finally bit the bullet called bad economy and went to work managing a huge appliance company. He's working like crazy and we get what's left of him. Luckily (for him) ...he's family, so I'm not inclined to bite his head off...(too much)...but, it means I have to be patient. Last time we had him, he did some of the electrical and we spent the rest of the day working on an unrelated project.

I only have a bit of electrical to finish the job but it might still take awhile. Rest assured, I'll have the complete pics up when I have a complet kitchen!!!!!

PS...I love the switchplate covers I picked. I had to paint them but the look just perfect!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Oh my! It's gorgeous!

• hags00
    11 years ago

I like how you took a crown over the windows and it can act as a small shelf.

• slonewby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, hags~ you wouldn't believe the fiasco it was trying to get our cabinet people to do the window casing and shelf! We finally just did it ourselves. They wanted to charge something crazy like $800 to do what we did for about $80. It made a big difference for me though to have trim around the windows. I'll post some better photos when we're all done!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Looks great. Just wish I hadn't re-watched "Bridesmaids" right before reading your subject line.

• csmerk
    10 years ago

Simply gorgeous! I have to go with a less expensive granite than BA but it will have the same color scheme. I so badly need to know the brand and color of your floor slate/tile. It is exactly what I am looking for. Would you mind sharing that info?
    Hope you are enjoying your beautiful kitchen.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Very airy and light.

IfDH wants color, do the staging thing and put a bright red bowl with lemons in it on the counter.

A few bright things in the glass front cabinets, and a cookie jar might be enough. And hand towels ... you can do a lot by tossing them artfully around the space.

• slonewby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone~ csmerk...the floor is a porcelain. I LOVE this floor. My kitchen has been in for a year and I'm almost embarassed to say that I actually have never mopped it once! I sweep and sponge up the occasional spill but it just doesn't get dirty! Even when I think I should mop, I run a sponge over an area and there is just nothing there! I also love that it is not at ALL slippery when it does get wet..unlike so many porcelains. It has great texture to it.

This is the info I have on it from the sample tile: Himalaya Porcelain, Makalu (Past HiMa). I don't know what all of that means but if you need more info, I can ask our supplier.

I do have to warn you though...several pieces in the box of tile had quite a bit of "rust" color to it ...I didn't like the rust at all so we ordered a bit extra and we pulled the rusty looking tiles out. I wanted the "chocolate velvet" look. We grouted tightly with a charcoal grout and I absolutely love it. I think I have a recent pic but I can't seem to figure out how to use photobucket..they've changed everything! I'll try again later~

• slonewby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry...double post now deleted

This post was edited by slonewby on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 21:57

• lmsscs
    10 years ago

Very nice. I like how simple it is. The countertops are the stand out for sure, but I do really like the look of the tile. I can't wait to see the whole reveal.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Everything's Gorgeous!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I think we have the same pendants. Mine are not installed yet but I can't wait to see the pretty reflections from the crystal! Just lovely.

I have a serious case of white kitchen envy. Oh how I wish I had followed my love for white cabinets. It is my favorite all time look but my house that is surrounded by trees on all sides just called out for wood stained cabs.

• springroz
    10 years ago

Are you SURE you have enough clearance between your sink and range? It looks tight.

Very pretty!!

Nancy

• banzaiengr
    10 years ago

Beautiful, yes another white kitchen.

• csmerk
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your quick response about the tile...I loved it from the picture but now love it even more based on your description. A floor that shows no dirt is exactly what I am looking for with two kids and two messy dogs. I'm in New Jersey and would love to know who your supplier is b/c internet searching for this tile is limited. I've come up with one website only. I would much appreciate any more info you can provide. Thank you again

• kaysd
    10 years ago

It looks lovely.

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

How do you spell E~N~V~I~O~U~S~

Crazy great. More than just "another" white kitchen. Enjoy.

• csmerk
    10 years ago

yes, this ranks on the top of "great white kitchens" ...perfection

• slonewby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more picture...it's an older one from during construction but it shows the lovely, sparkly light that the pendants can throw: I don't usually have just these accent lights on but it is pretty fun!

• slonewby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okay..this is too fun. Easy to share photos now! Here's one more...this is the most recent photo. I found that antique sewing machine at a thrift store and added it as an island. Also...the backsplash behind the sink is a piece of pressed tin that doesn't belong there...I'm paranoid about splashing anything icky on my new tile so I put it there when I'm cleaning messy dishes...lol

• deedles
    10 years ago

Very pretty kitchen! I especially like your cabinet configuration around the window with the glass and open areas. How do you like the vertical plate storage now that you've had it for awhile?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely stunning! I just love it. Oh how your pendants sparkle. I am so looking forward to that!

• slonewby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deedles, I really like the plate rack...those are our everyday dishes and the salad plates and bowls stack above. It's right over the dishwasher so it's an easy put away. I've never had a plate rack and it was a fairly expensive option but I'm glad I did it....I think it gives a nice feel to the kitchen.

• nanedjorhan
    10 years ago

Slonewby, your kitchen is absolutely stunning!!

I know I am a little late to the conversation here, but I am hoping someone will stumble across it and help me out.

We also have white cabinetry (Ikea Lidingo for those who know it), Bianco Antico granite countertops, and wide plank cherry wood floors. We are also going with a creamy white bevelled subway tile from Lowes. (Not a lot of choices here in Canada, but this tile actually looks like a good tone.)

I'm wondering if anyone knows what trim color/brand and wall color/brand Slonewby used?

While I'm thrilled I am actually getting a new kitchen, I am overwhelmed with all the choices!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I don't, but if you click "My Page" in the post above yours, you can send him/her an email.

• slonewby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nanedjorhan....I'm not certain what you mean by trim or wall color. We only have wall showing in a tiny space above the windows..the rest is all cabinet or tile backsplash. Our cabinets are painted in a creamy off white called "Acacia"...as is all of the moulding and trim. I matched the wall as best I could (brought in a swatch of the cabinet and had them custom mix to match)

I hope that helps and please ask any other questions you have! I love my kitchen!!

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Just great. so many details, like the lights (whose are they?), the shelves above windows, the trim that makes it look like furniture, pretty chairs, etc.

• slonewby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you, bookworm ! Lights came from Lowes...they are discontinued now. :-( I bought an extra one on clearance just in case I broke something on one of them! lol. Our contractor and I made the window casings b/c our cabinet people wanted something ridiculous like $800 to make them (cost us about $50)...and, I actually replaced the stools with antique tractor seat stools...the teal ones were always temporary until I found the right ones.

• nanedjorhan
    10 years ago

Oh thank you for the response! I really thought this thread was buried...mind you I really don't know how Garden Web works.
    Anyhow, I did notice the small space above the kitchen window that is wall space.....wondering what color it is?
    And, you painted all your trim the same color as your cabinets?
    I think that painting my trim the same color as my cabinets may be the way to go. We're doing crown and some trim to give the cabinets a built in look. (Got part of the idea here: http://involvingcolor.com/involvinghome/on-soffits-and-crown/ ) Now I just have to find a color that matches Lidingo white Ikea (some info here: http://involvingcolor.com/involvinghome/white-paints-to-match-ikea-cabinets/ ) , and decide if it will also work as the trim color for the rest of he house....once I decide those wall colors...LOL.

• slonewby .
    6 years ago

6 years later update! wow!!! has it been that long??? I LOVE EVERY SINGLE CHOICE WE MADE for our kitchen and still love it today. The floor is amazing and doesn't show dirt at all. The cabinets and lighting are lovely. The granite is still the star and I'm daily thrilled with my simple, bevelled subway tile backsplash. I just wanted to pop in and say thank you all again for your help in my crazy decision making process!

• Lisa 902
    6 years ago

Great kitchen. Your pendants are so pretty; they look like you added lovely earrings to your kitchen. Any idea where I could find something like that?

• slonewby
    5 years ago

I'm so sorry, I never saw this! My pendants came from Lowe's hardware store. They were being discontinued at the time and I bought the last two in our store. They periodically carry similar ones though. I hope you found the right pendants for your kitchen!

• Janice B
    4 years ago

Hi Slonewby, not sure if you will see this but I love your gorgeous kitchen! I'm looking for a similar cream tile and finding cream tile very difficult! I need something with a yellowish undertone. Is yours yellowish or would you say more soft white? Wondering if I should try and track down a sample but if it's not yellow in undertone I will keep looking. Thanks so much:)

• slonewby
    4 years ago

Hi! sorry it's taken me so long to see this! It's a "warm white"...creamy but I don't know about yellow. It's absolutely gorgeous and matches my cabinets perfectly (which is SO hard to do when working with off whites!)

• Chris Sherlock
    3 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I am struggling on a perfect cabinet color and yours looks perfect. How will I find it?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!