Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdw829

Do you have Kashmir White (or another porous stone)?

rdw829
11 years ago

And are you happy with it? Do you have pictures? As I posted in another post, we have narrowed it down to White Lexus (which I think must be called something else in other places and looks a lot like Kashmir White) and Bianco Romano.

For the $1K difference, I am leaning towards White Lexus - but concerned about the possibility of staining / upkeep - and whether we need the DalTile sealer (for which I have now been quoted $499 - eek! - making the price difference closer to $500).

Any opinions, advice or pictures would be appreciated!

Comments (9)

• jkoebnick
    11 years ago

I have white Fantasy but many people when they first see it think it's Kashmir White. It is so pretty! We had our fabricator seal it which was $299. I notice that when water sits on it, it darkens in that spot but then disappears when dry. I do have one stain which was from olive oil that sat on the countertop overnight without my knowledge. No one ever realizes it's a stain because there are so many variations of color in the granite.

• rdw829
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love your stone! I'm trying to decide if it would be too risky to get White Lexus without the sealer? With the puched price to $499, it really feels expensive. But the Bianco Romano is coming in way above where I want to be.

Ugh - not sure what to do. Just founf out that the BR is abour $500 more than I expected, so looking at a $1K difference with the seaker, $1500 without the sealer.

Do I dare get a stone like Kashmir White without the 15 year sealer?

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I strongly suggest you see an IRL sample of stone sealed with the 15 year sealer. My guess is that its the plasticy kind of sealant. I, for one, wouldn't want any stone in my house sealed with that. What members commonly do here is to buy a $30-50 bottle of sealer and apply DIY. It's very easy to do and will protect your stone from stains. Many light colored granites need to be sealed. I used 511 impregnator sealer made by Miracle on my Carrara marble. No stains.

As with any stone, try to get a sample for your own testing. See if it etches or stains. Then apply a sealer and test again.

• vidyaram
    11 years ago

I have Kashmir White granite on my island and didn't get it sealed. It was porous and then I sealed with Miracle 911 like what breezygirl mentioned and have no problems whatsoever in the past 1.5 yrs. It is available in Lowes or HD.

• funnysunny
    11 years ago

We had Kashmir White installed in November by StoneMasters, which I believe is a fabricator you visited from your other post. It was sealed before and after install with the standard sealer (no add'l cost), not with the DalTile sealer or the sealer with the five year warranty. We haven't had any problems with staining or etching. Like jkoebnick said if water is left on the counter for awhile, it will leave a dark mark. That mark quickly disappears after the water is wiped up. We plan on resealing the counters with a sealer from HD or Lowes as needed.

• funnysunny
    11 years ago

oops forgot to attach the pic of the granite.

• rdw829
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone - and funnysunny in particular - thank you so much for your help and posts! You have made me feel so much better about sticking to budget with either White Lexus or Kashmir White - and not spending on the DalTile.

Thank You!

FunnySunny - Love your KW! Were you happy with Stonemasters?

• funnysunny
    11 years ago

We are very happy with StoneMasters. They did a great job.

• rdw829
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PS - I just reread this thread. So sorry for the typos - darn typing from my phone!