Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skoo_gw

Please vote - bands or no bands on Modernaire hood

skoo
14 years ago

I have changed my mind on this 3x now. But at least I've narrowed down my choices since the last time I asked for advice. Supposedly, there's also no price difference in the quote I received for the 2 options I'm considering, so that doesn't help me make up my mind either. So, can you guys weigh in and help vote and give me advice?

Modernaire hood that will look mostly like this, except no pot rail, it will just be a stainless lip on top rather than a crown, and the color on both the hood and range will be RAL 5020 (Ocean Blue - a greenish blue like the ocean above a coral reef):

It will be sitting on top of a 36" Bluestar RNB 6 burner stove (this was the closest color I could find):

Cabinets will be shaker, stained wood.

So, the question is:

1. Keep the vertical bands? There aren't really any big vertical lines elsewhere in the kitchen, unless you count the shaker panels.

2. Lose the vertical bands? More dramatic, but will the hood seem to be awash with blue?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)

• Fori
    14 years ago

Lose 'em. They are too fussy for that range. Don't worry about too blue. Yes, it might be a sea of blue, but that's GOOD.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

I second that. No bands, which are more of a "French Country" look.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I'm usually all for simplicity, but love the sleek lines and how they will break up the wall of blue and give the hood some style. The bands change the impression of the shape of the hood, by giving it a longer line, and I think, connecting it with the stainless on the range better. --The vertical lines could create a good balance with the horizontal lines of stainless on the range. Without the bands, the horizontal lines/stripes of color are repeated and repeated from the floor up...Blue-stainless-blue-stainless-wall (backsplash choice?) -stainless-blue-stainless.

I've looked again and one thing might change my mind. Will the hood and range be the same width or will the hood be wider? If it will be wider, I'm sticking to my initial opinion. If they'll be the same size, maybe you don't want the hood to look sleeker, and it may need the big area of uninterrupted color to balance the bulk of the range...In that case, I could maybe be persuaded toward the no bands look.
    Regardless of your choice (you really can't go wrong), I can't wait to see this combo in your kitchen! It sounds so fun!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

If it has the SS trim on the bottom too I say no bands as well.

• skoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I should have mentioned that this is a full kitchen remodel for a 1920's Tudor house.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

What is the ceiling like? Plain? Coffered? Beamed? I think I might change my mind if you have a detailed ceiling.

• skoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rhome: 36" hood over a 36" range.

rubyfig: Plain with some casual molding that we're keeping consistent. The living room and dining room (on the same first level as kitchen) have existing crown molding all around them.

The only pics of the house I have right now are the ones I saved from when we bought the house, but you should be able to get a feel for it.

Here's a pic of the existing kitchen:

And the living room:

As an aside, that fireplace is my next project. That behemoth brick monster has to go.

• mereanne
    14 years ago

I'd vote for the bands- they show off the curve of the hood and they break up the big blocks of colors. Plus, they will add the illusion of more height. I'm working with modernaire on a hood design right now and love them! Which one of the four stainless varieties are you going with for the trim? Just curious.

• skoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mereanne - I think we're just going to do brushed stainless since that's the trim on the Bluestar, and we're also doing a stainless fridge and dishwasher. Are you working directly with Modernaire? I'm up in the Bay area, so I have to work with one of their distributors. The pricing is somewhat frustrating (one thing over the phone, more expensive once I receive the written quote), but what can you do?

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

I like the bands. We have a MA that is stainless with stainless bands, so no real contrast except design-wise. I think with your bold colours it would look good and complement the BS.

Eliz

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I vote for the bands! And your stove is awesome!

I was able to work directly with ModernAire. There was one distributor (kitchen showroom) in my area, but I'd had a bad experience with them, so they agreed to sell to me directly.

• mereanne
    14 years ago

Yes, I've been fortunate to work with Modernaire directly, since there are no distributors in our state (Kansas). I think the brushed stainless will look very nice with the blue.

Samples of the four stainless options are in the mail, so I should have them in the next day or two. We're planning to go with two of the stainless options, just not sure which two until we see the samples. Not sure whether there is pricing flexibility at this point, but the quotes we have received so far have been pretty consistent.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

I don't know if this will help you or not, but here's a photo of my MA PS26 that may help give you an idea of how big blocks of color on a large hood will work with stainless trim and a matching colored range:

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

OMG Martha - you MUST post more pix of your kitchen!! Pretty please? It is just so beautiful - and of course the fact that red is my favourite colour makes me partial :-)

Back to OP - this reconfirms my vote for the bands.

Eliz

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

No bands.

Without bands, the hood more closely matches "plain with causal moldings". The style of the hood with bands would overwhelm the range.

There's a visual difference between the aga and the bluestar to me, the unbanded hood is a better match. And, I don't think the band can affect how blue-green the hood appears.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

I think no bands as well. With the other details (or lack of details), it will look fussy (the hood you chose already has a very graceful curve in the line). With a Lanache, I think the bands are a better match, or if you had a coffereed ceiling or something like that; but with stainless applainces, plain and casual moldings, shaker cabinets, and the bluestar, a simpler hood is in order. My .02.

• dkitchenreno
    14 years ago

I like the bands. The bands give it a simple style and highlight the beautiful lines of the hood. I also think that breaking up the color will calm the hood and make it flow better with the cabinetry.

• kompy
    14 years ago

Definitely like the bands....I think it would look great with a Tudor home! It will look a little more 'hand made' by a blacksmith, I think. Also, tudor's often have the wooden vertical and diagonal bands of wood against stucco exteriors, as in this photo (link below).

I vote for bands!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• skoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. Funny, now it's 5 vs. 5. An exact tie!!! I guess I'm just going to have to be the tiebreaker myself. Erg.

• gabeach
    14 years ago

You may want to ask the distributor. I got the Excalibur by VentAHood. It is a similar look, but not as pretty as yours. When my contractor placed the order, he was told that most people leave the bands off, despite the fact that it cost extra to leave them off. The logic of leaving something off being an upcharge makes no sense, I know. Upon hearing this, he told them to leave them off without even asking me. I am glad he went ahead and flipped a coin, so to speak, or I would probably still be trying to make up my mind.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks