Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range & Hood in front of a window?

Posted by lajoanna (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 18:39

Thoughts on placing a 36 inch viking with chimney hood in front of a window....

I saw at a friends.
Wanted the GW opinion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range & Hood in front of a window?

How big is the window and where is it in relation to everything else?

I could see where a 12 inch window that ran on top of the wall for the whole length would look nice - in the right room. But wouldn't have a window directly adjacent and above a range that large on purpose. If there was an existing window to work around, I would consider changing the window size.

o

Check your local code - often a range or cooktop is not allowed in front of a window.

Also, consider something other than Viking :-)

o

We have done just that. Blue star 30", soapstone backsplashe and window sill, and copper hood above window. I can post pic later if your interested

o

As suggested check local code. I have done this once years ago,
I have also seen it discussed on boards by architects and builders. There are restrictions in national building code mechanical section and in NFPA (fire code).

In general the window should not be operable, have either extra clearance to the glass from heat and or use tempered glass, or both.
Clearances to combustibles is also required which is typically 30" at the back wall and 6" to each side. So the window needs to be wider than the cooking surface and window sill needs to not be combustible.

Even if you can get away with it locally it would be wise to check current national codes to avoid complications should you ever have to deal with an insurance claim.

o

Go for it! Here is mine. My village is very persnickety, and they allowed it. I don't believe there could be a national code proscribing it if many locales permit it.

photo CIMG3639.jpg

The thread I link below has lots of good info, and further links other threads with good information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here