Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auroraborelis

Last Review of kitchen plan - where should the prep sink go?

auroraborelis
10 years ago

I'm finally about to sign off on the design for the kitchen in our new house (new construction). I've been playing around with this for a year, and have really appreciate all the advice I have received on GW! The advice was extremely helpful and now I'm back with two last questions?

Where should my prep sink go? Keep in mind the island will be rectangular, not the current rounded edge.
- keep the prep sink where it is?
- turned on the same cabinet?
- centered on the island along the side where the range is?

And

I want to have cabinet doors on the pantry, as per the example below. However, there is already light switches on the small portion of wall between the cabinet doors and the hallway. How would you handle the light switches and that small portion of wall?

Traditional Kitchen by Tyrone Kitchen & Bath Designers Teri Turan

Traditional Kitchen by Tyrone Kitchen & Bath Designers Teri Turan

As for everything else, the appliance locations are set in stone, but if anyone has any other suggestions then I'm all ears!

Comments (14)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Are those switches something that can go on the side of the pantry? It only an extra step.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Friend of ours recommended that we not put the prep sink on the edge of the island as it is so much more useful to have counter space on either side, so we moved ours down about 18" and we are so glad we did. It still leaves plenty of working space on our island, and the sink is most useful.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie - you are probably right about the sink, I'm going to ask for it to be 18" over.

Regarding the pantry, would it be odd of the light switches were on the exterior wall as you walk into the kitchen?

Thanks!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Good idea to move the prep sink over 18" and then think about putting the pull-out trash recycling center in that 18" beside the prep sink. I use the trash beside the prep sink way more often than the one by the DW.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great idea! Thanks!

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Laura

What refrigerator are you thinking of getting? It seems like a 36" side by side from the drawing. I know people that have had the SZ 36" side by side and hated it with a passion. I had the 42" side by side in my last kitchen and it was fine because the fridge part was at least wide enough to fit in larger items. My personal view is that a side by side is the least desirable fridge if it is not at least 42". If you have to go with a 36", I would seriously consider a regular over/under or a French door with freezer below.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have actually already bought an LG French door fridge. It is counter depth, but has nearly the same amount of space as many standard fridges. Quite excited about it, plus we got it on a great sale!

I have been having a very difficult time with getting the design of my kitchen down on paper and decided not to argue over the choice of fridge in the drawing!

Thanks for the advice!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

For the pantry I would do the kind of light that turns on when you open the door. There is a sensor for that. Can't remember what it is called.

I would want the prep sink moved over as I would want to have the stuff I prepped closer to the stove so 18" seems like a good idea.

What is the isle space between the stove and the island? I think I might want to move the stove up some to avoid having to walk around the edge of the island to the stove with whatever you prepped. If you did that then you could keep the prep sink where it is at as you don't have to walk around it all to get to the stove. Just think about where you will stand to prep and how to get to the stove with it and also how to get from the stove to a sink. I think that will help you decide what would work best for you.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Given the style of the pantry doors, do you think they should be set back so they are the same depth as the rest of the cabinets?

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

The pantry light will be on a motion sensor, do you think that is good enough?

The aisle space between the island and the fridge, and the island and the stove is 42" and more between the island and the cleanup sink, though I don't seem to have the exact distance for that one.

I see your point about the stovetop, but I don't think I can move it as it would throw things off too much from a design standpoint.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Rhome has hers in the corner and really likes it. I would turn the prep sink so it faces the range, which would make it easier to use that side of the island for additional prep.

No suggestions for the pantry...but happy you're progressing so well with your new home! :)

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lavender! Insulation goes in next week, drywall the following week! We are hoping to move in by the end of Sept!

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should the pantry doors be the same depth as the rest of the cabinets along that run?

The cabinet company is suggesting making them the same depth as the pantry would have been. But I don't understand how that will work with the standard counterdepth, (not built in) fridge next to it.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any additional advice regarding the depth of the pantry cabinet doors? Thanks!