Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-pendant over island?

Posted by alicepalace (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 18:29

Our ceilings are not particularly high (91") and I was wondering about island lighting. Do people ever use non-pendant lighting over an island? Ours will house our sink, DW and a 36" drawer cabinet on one side, three 12" depth cabinets on the other. The sink will not be centered, so a single light in the center would be odd and wouldn't illuminate the sink that well. Nor would 2 pendants necessarily take care of the problem.

What are your thoughts about using something like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-pendant over island?

I'd think about recessed can lights. While I think what you are showing is pretty cool, my impression is that track lighting is heading out of style - even though they are still selling it. But, I could be wrong on that.

o

I have can lights. They are OK. I couldn't have pendants over the island because there is a large antique leaded glass fixture over breakfast table that would conflict with anything hanging. Family pieces that I cannot bear to part with defined and limited my choices throughout the kitchen.
BUT if I were designing on my own preferences and taste, I would consider this very strongly for an island.
This isn't, to my mind, ''track lighting.'' I like it a lot more.
If your kitchen is modern and sleek--or if it speaks to you. go for it.

Sandra

o

I have to agree -- I don't really consider this "track lighting" per se. I have some of that out in the living/dining area of the house. OLD track lighting that is really OUT. This does seem modern and sleek -- we are going to have somewhat of a sleeker vibe, though not modern. We have Ikea Adel Medium Brown (warm wood Shaker-style) cabinets with fairly simple but modern drawer pulls, Kashmir White granite on the perimeter and honed Jet Mist on the island, and a fairly contemporary backsplash -- American Olean St. Germain. So the fixture above could prove to be more contemporary than we want, but it's the IDEA of it, really, that I'm wondering about. We have a peninsula and an island and a table, and I think it will look a bit funny to have dangling lights all over the place! Plus there's the low ceiling issue ...

o

It looks like that fixture takes MR16s, which are very directional. I'd be wary of creaing a spotlight effect on your island.

o

cawaps, I never really thought about the directionality (?) of the bulbs. Thanks for bringing it up. I guess we have more research to do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here