Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

Cabinet that opens from side

olivertwistkitchen
11 years ago

KD suggested a tall cabinet next to fridge to use as sort of a pantry, but rather than opening from the front, opening from the side. (next to this area is a doorway to DR). Does anyone have a pic of this kind of thing?

Comments (13)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

KD recommended the same for me - I didn't like the idea and went with a pull out pantry - I think it is about 13 inches wide.
    I love the pull out pantry - but it was not inexpensive.
    Brookhaven/Woodmode but I think they contract the cabinet out.
    This is before fridge came home and only partially filled.

I just felt the doors would get in the way of the entrance to the walk in pantry and the DR.

• loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

I love mine. It is on the side of the ovens and in the hallway between the kitchen and laundry. I stood in the butlers pantry which leads off that hallway to the dining room behind me to take this picture. The kitchen is off to the right and the laundry and garage off to the left.

We angled the one end to open the doorway into the kitchen more so the cabinet actually has 2 doors both of which are open in the picture below.

My cabinets are 30" deep so this one is 30" wide and shallow. I LOVE the shallowness. Nothing gets lost and I can see exactly what I have.

Next to it, so between the cabinet and ovens, I have the same type of pullout cabinet as a2gemini. It holds a ton of stuff. I prefer this 1000 times over having one deeper cabinet which was also a choice.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A2gemini-we are prob going with wood mode too. I had preferred a large pull out like yours but KD told me that in our small kitchen the hardware required to do a pull-out would take away from my storage space making it not worth it.

loves2cook-yes, I think that is just what the KD meant! Would you mind posting a few more pics of it, from different angles and/or with doors shut? The curve is interesting, and also the doors on both sides. Do you really end up using both doors or just the bigger one?

• Mimou-GW
    11 years ago

Check out the Finchley kitchen. I think it is the middle picture, 2nd row.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet next to fridge

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, cool, thanks. It amazes me that people can just find you stuff when you ask!!

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jstehl, I love your cabinets. And I love how that looks. What cabinets are they?

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

I had the same set up as jstehl, exactly. Highly functional, looked great. It was "utility" on the spec sheet, but we used it as a pantry. It was the depth of a wall cabinet, so things really didn't get lost as long as you were organized about it.

• jstehl
    11 years ago

Thank you. They are Kraftmaid. Like I said I made this a utility cabinet. I also had a receptacle put inside for my cordless vac. I am posting a picture of the inside but after this was taken, I put up hooks to hang the mops and brooms. I also had the choice of putting shelves in and use as a pantry but I really wanted the space for my mops and cleaning supplies.

I am also adding a link to my pictures of our renovation if you would like to see a few more pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Renovation

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Oliver- I used a standard 8 inch arch pull. It comes with special screws.

Jstehl - I had to do a double take on ur kitchen. Looks al
    Looks almost identical to mine and good to see alternatives!

Loves2cook! Wow- you filled yours right up! Still tweaking ours. I have one more shelf and after seeing yours, might pop it back into the cabinet

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I have one that looks a lot like jstehl's (Sorry, no pix). One difference is that ours is only 9" deep. This depth is quite nice. We call it our "shallow pantry." It holds a few rows of cans and other things, and nothing gets lost. We reallly like it!

• loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

a2gemini, as you can see I have some double shelves in my pull out, too. It is filled to capacity but I love how easy it is to open it up and everything I need to bake is all right there in one spot and it all goes away so easily. So efficient.

Olivertwist, I have some commonly used items in the "front" angled section that I can access quickly without walking around the side. It's a litlle awkward in this space both because the angle and the shallowness limit things you can fit on these small triangular shelves and also because the hinges impede into the space and take up even more room on those shelves. If you can keep it square like jstehl you'll have more usable space. I like mine this way because it opens up the walkway into the kitchen and also because I have so much storage in the new kitchen I could afford to give up a little here.

I store things like canola oil, nutella (HA, if I moved that around the corner maybe I could justify the few extra steps as excercise to walk off what I eat LOL), gatorade, and some other things we use on a regular basis in the triangular section. The side door accesses stuff we use regularly but not as frequently eg nuts, extra salad dressings, boxed foodstuffs, etc. It's about 10" deep.

Here are some more pictures

Here you can see the pull out pantry (Checkered door) and the angled door. If you look carefully you can see the knob for the side door

Same view with the angled door open

From the butler's panrty (same view as previous post) with both doors closed

From the garage door looking into the kitchen

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love it!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor