Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions please selecting granite with soapstone

Posted by AJinNH (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 18:26

I'm trying to select a granite for our island to go with the natural cherry cabinets and classic soapstone perimeter. I saw this slab of Typhoon Bordeaux today and really liked it.
Do you think that it'll be too busy with the soapstone? We're also considering a wood island, but DH would prefer granite for the island.
The cabinet door isn't our sample, but should be close in color.

photo Typhoonbordeaux_zpsc131119f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions please selecting granite with soapstone

Here's another that I liked, very different from the TB. It's very pretty in person and looked nice with the SS, but not sure if it's too taupe.

photo 201ad274-687c-4b2c-b90c-8b525e0d6c90_zps2f4970f5.jpg

o

If I were to do granite with soapstone (which I don't think I would do unless the ss is totally without veining), I'd choose #2 because it seems to have more of the tones of the soapstone. That said, I personally don't think shiny granite goes with matte soapstone particularly well.

o

Thanks needinfo. I'm still considering a walnut countertop for the island. Just need to convince DH.

Most of the matte or leathered granites that I've seen are very dark, and in a previous post I was discouraged from doing a dark granite with the soapstone (I was looking at nordic black leathered).

I love the honed marbles, but I don't think they'd be practical for us, we do a lot of canning, too much acid, they'd etch in no time.

DH's opposition to wood on the island is that he doesn't like the look of 'wood on wood, too similar'. I don't want to paint the island, but maybe I can figure out a way for a nice contrasting stain with the cherry perimeter?

o

Just a thought: what if you stained the island very dark, and put a cherry top on it that matches the perimeter cabinets? That gives you contrast between the island base and top, and also between the island top and perimeter soapstone. Might satisfy your DH's reservations.

o

Ruby, I like that idea. I think he's coming around. Our last conversation on the topic was very encouraging. I want this kitchen to be something we both love.

Thanks for the idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here