Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrm54

range to cabinet height issue

mrm54
9 years ago

We just remodeled our kitchen. We did not plan on changing the cabinets and after the floor was placed down (3/8" engineered hardwood) we decided the cabinets were trash. When the new ones were installed, they were placed on the concrete slab and the wood floors butt up next to them and there is shoe molding. Looks nice, but.....now we want to replace a slide in range. The issue is the current range had to have the feet removed to set on the countertop correctly and I can't use the bottom drawer. From the hardwood floor to the top of the granite, it is 35 1/4 inches. Does anyone know of any range that can be that short or any alternative to what to do here? Most of the ranges that I have seen are at least 36". I am not about to remove the cabinets and mess up the backsplash to have them reinstalled.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

mrm54:

I've seen this problem previously.

You must make sure the weight of your range bears on the range frame and kitchen floor whether or not you use feet. The weight of your range cannot bear on the top flange. There should be a space, even 1/64", between the bottom of the flange and the top.

• User
    9 years ago

The solution is a freestanding range like the GE Cafe. Or, remove the cabinets and install them correctly with the bottoms at the same height as the finished floor level. That would mean putting flooring under them, or the equivalent height plywood.

• mrm54
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you think if I posted on the appliance forum someone might know the shortest slide-in range? What I don't want is for the range to be higher than the cabinet tops with the feet in the lowest position. removing the cabinets and replacing is not an options.

• weissman
    9 years ago

Get a free standing range as suggested above. There are pro-style free-standing ranges such as the GE Cafe, Bluestar, Wolf, Capital, etc. that have the controls on the front and don't have backsplashes and look a lot like slide in ranges but don't sit on the countertop.

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

You can go to AJ Madison and check out the drop in ranges, they have some 26, 27, and 28 inches high. They might be able to be adjusted higher. Or put your own measurements in the "refine your results" area.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Sounds like the installation of NEW cabinets neglected the height issue. Good luck.

• kompy
    9 years ago

Have your tops been cut yet? If not, get a separate cooktop and install single oven beneath. Other than re-installing cabinets or getting a FS range....there really isn't much else you can do. Let us know if you find a shorter slide in....that would be nice to know! There was a gardenwebber than once just had granite trim placed around her range. Was the fix she went with. Did it look OK? Kind of . Not ideal, but worked for her. I'll try to find that picture. Hollysprings? LWO? You remember who that was????

• kompy
    9 years ago

Here is pic with cooktop and undercounter oven. I assume your tops are installed. Talk to the top shop to see if it could be reconfigured to do this. Or you'll have to replace tops.....expensive, yes....but maybe the best optoin! As for the carpentry? Just need a couple of fillers.

Look for a Sears Outlet for low price deals on new and refurbished appliances!

Below is a solution for another gardenwebber whose cooktop was too high.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mrm54
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks to all of you, I was not getting any response from the appliance forum. I have been researching this for at least 2weeks. AJMadison has a spec sheet for a Samsung slide-in that says the feet can be adjusted to make the height 34-36 13/16 inches and yet the user guide for the same range says the height is 36-36 4/5 inches. Does anyone know if the feet can be lowered to 34", not that I need that much but it would be nice to know for sure it would fit in my cabinets? I love what was done with the cook top and undercounter oven, but that would require some toe kick repair and a front piece of granite.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

There is no slide in range that can be adjusted low enough to compensate for your installer's error. Your best choice will be a freestanding range without a backguard.