Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanew

Boston Area Soapstoners

cran
15 years ago

I have read that many of you have soapstone. I am in the process of looking for my soapstone and was recently told by a marble and granite yard in Westwood that the type I want he hasn't seen for a couple of years. I want a black stone with nice white veining, not spider veins, but more bold. I asked him about Venata. He doesn't know them by name. So I definitely need to talk to some one who is a little bit more knowledgeable. By the way I am about 21/2-3 hrs away so its not like I can just swing by when I get the chance. All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• cait38
    15 years ago

We just purchased a slab of green soapstone from CNL in Canton, Mass, through Tiles by Perfection in Quincy. It is a dark black/blue with spider veins but also some giant white streaks (3 inches wide by maybe 9 inches). Very cool. There were other slabs, if you are interested. Good Luck.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

cran,
    i am in the boston area. I was in the market for soapstone and looking for what you describe: black with nice bold white veins. I couldn't find what I was looking for either and ended up with granite.

there is a HUGE granite/marble/stone place in Everett, MA - very difficult to get there... it is tucked away in an industrial park - if you decide to go there get very good directions. It is called Cumar.

I ended up getting my granite from Gerrity stone in Wakefield, MA (they also sell soapstone). They are very reputable. Not the same selection as Cumar but maybe a little better customer service.

I found when choosing my countertop material(as I think a lot of other GW'ers have) that there is a lot of leg work required particularly if you have a vision.

Best of luck.

• cran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cait, your soapstone sounds beautiful. I will look them up and try get up that way. I am determined to find what I want. Thanks so much. Have you posted any pics of your kitchen?

mamadadapaige, thanks for the info. I'm sorry you couldn't find the ss you wanted, but I have seen pics of your beautiful kitchen and it looks wonderful. Thanks for you help.

• cait38
    15 years ago

Cran, no I haven't posted pictures yet. I hope that the slab looks as pretty on my counters as it does in the warehouse. I had originally wanted soapstone but had moved towards honed granite for a number of reasons. When my husband and I went to pick out the granite slab, he saw the soapstone. If you knew my husband you would know that it is unlike him to be "moved" by a kitchen element, but he really loved it . So did I, and here we are.

The people at CNL commented that the stone was very unusual looking and was quite hard. Maybe you could call CNL and ask if they would describe the remaining slabs. Maybe they could take a picture? I haven't seen the other slabs (they were behind the ones tagged for me) but I assume that they would share the same characteristics.

As a point of reference, the veining in the soapstone we purchased is not as pronounced as the movement in mamapaige's granite. Speaking of her kitchen, I think it is just lovely.

Anyway, good luck and have fun. Cait

• cran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Cait,
    I googled CNL and think I could go there on my way to Westwood. I have an appointment next week. Waiting for DH to get a day off so we can make the decision together, not that he is that interested in it..he has almost had enough already! The thrill of the hunt is not that thrilling to him! How long ago did you purchase yours? Any way I will call on Monday and see what I can find out. Thanks again.

• cait38
    15 years ago

Cran, I purchased mine Monday or Tuesday of last week. I assume that my slab is still there, but I do not know. It is under my name and Tile by Perfection. If you mention Tile by Perfection, I am sure that they will know the stone. There were, as of last monday, about 4 additional slabs. Also, the slabs are pretty big by soapstone standards, or so I am told.

By the way, my husband feels the exact same way as your husband, which is why I was surprised that he actually felt so strongly about this particular soapstone. In fact, the samples that CNL has of the less veined soapstone made no impression on him at all.

Also, if you google Santa Rita venata (at M. Teixeira), I think it looks a lot like the slab we chose. I just asked my husband, who agreed. The slab at CNL, however, is just called green soapstone. Also, we think that it is navy blueish.

Cait

• cran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cait,
    Thanks for all your help. I will call CNL tomorrow morning..I never really thought of Green Soapstone, but the way you describe it I think it is what I an visualizing! Glad you DH was into it as well...never hurts. Thans again.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio