Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coffeebreak

Tsdiver's Layout (pic)

coffeebreak
15 years ago

I'm here, I'm here! Sorry about the delay in responding to your incredibly kind questions and requests. I decided to start a new thread since there were several active threads asking about my kitchen layout.

First off... here is a close rendition to the final layout.

{{!gwi}}

A few items to mention:

Approximate dimension of the kitchen is 13 feet by 19 feet.

The prep sink was supposed to be on the other side of the island near the refrigerator, but due to structural/plumbing issues, the only location it could be is where it currently resides, across from the main sink.

The chalkboard looking thing in the pictures is a dumbwaiter. This is a second story kitchen that opens up to a great room and the front door. The dumbwaiter goes to the garage. This is a manual dumbwaiter, not electric. It operates by a rope/pully system that has a fifty pound counterweight attached. It takes very little effort to move the car.

Many of the cabinet dimensions are not as depicted, but are fairly close. Purely by accident (read that as miscommunication), I ended up with two pull-outs flanking the range. We lost the vertical storage that was to be next to the super susan due to cabinet issues.

Well, anyway, those are just a few of the "not as depicted" issues.

The kitchen is not in the Finished Kitchen Blog because it is not done yet. We had a major backsplash issue that has now been pushed to the back burner. Since this is a whole home remodel, we are now focusing our attention to getting the project through our city's final inspection. Then we can move forward and bring in utilities etc. Hopefully, we will be able to actually move in by the end of summer. Whether or not the backsplash will be completed before we move in is anyone's guess.

I cannot tell you where everything is going to be stored, or how it will be utilized. I can tell you that right now, in our postage stamp sized kitchen, I cannot open the refrigerator and the dishwasher at the same time, so I am looking forward to spreading out a bit.

A special not to those of you who are currently planning your kitchens:

This kitchen layout is a product of the generous time and efforts of the Kitchen Forum Members. I used a software program and applied every single opinion or option that was offered, no matter how I initially felt about it. I believe the range was located on every wall at one time or another. I had the main sink on a windowless wall, I had a rectangle island, I even had a "cantry" (shallow cabinet for cans). The bottom line is try everything!!!! Now is the time to do it!

Hope this helps!

Comments (8)

• happymommy
    15 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to post this. You created a wonderful kitchen. I can't wait to see the finished product.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

My favorite kitchen! - sigh...
    (And I've seen a bunch by now!)

• alku05
    15 years ago

I have the "cantry" thread saved! It has a few of the older, working versions of Tsdiver's layout in it. I actually ended up with a "cantry" in my kitchen because of it. Ok, so it doesn't hold cans, but it's the same idea.

It's more than two years old now, but I have to say that I love that I recognized many familar names of people that are still on this board in that old thread.

• crescent50
    15 years ago

Tsdiver-
    Great kitchen and a definite inspiration for me as I start planning ours. Thanks so much for posting.
    I have been reading about your backsplash woes and am sure that when the time is right, that will be beautiful too. Good Luck with your inspections and finally getting to enjoy your new home.
    Visions of kitchens are dancing in my head- hopefully I'll get my ideas on paper and on this forum soon for ideas and suggestions from all the knowledgeable GWers.
    Thanks again.

By the way, what software program did you use?

• lovemyboys
    15 years ago

TSdiver,

I can't see the layout. It says the image has been removed. Could you post again? Thanks so much!

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your welcome HappyMommy! I hope it helps!

Sweeby - you are too kind. It couldn't have happened without your help. :)

Alku - it is amazing who all is still on this forum from that long ago. Thanks for your continued interest in my kitchen.

Crescent - Hopefully, we are coming to an end with the inspections... finger's crossed! I used many software programs! LOL But mostly the Better Homes and Garden one. It was the easiest and the least cost at the time. I have no idea what would be the hot ticket now though. I also played around with it's parent Chief Architect. It is massive!

Lovemyboys: Here you go! Sorry about that... operator error.

• crescent50
    15 years ago

TS Diver-
    I now have a new obsession & spent the kiddies nap time trying to figure out BHG software program. Just in case, I printed out some blank graph paper and sharpened a few pencils. Your plan is really proving to be extremely helpful.
    Do you happen to know the distances between the island and refrigerator and the island and sink? If I am reading it right- it looks to be 4 feet.
    TIA

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The distance on paper was 3'10" between the refrigerator wall and the island. This is a through walkway to an outside patio area. The distance between the island and the sink wall was 3'6". I say was because that is what was on paper. Next time I am at the house I will measure it out and see what we "actually" have.

I used the measuring function a lot from cabinet to cabinet on the software programs, but I did not take into consideration the small counter top overhang.

I'm thrilled that my plan is helping you! The nice part about the software is the ability to save, swap, re-save, try something different, save the different, open the original, and try something new again. And the 3D... well, it is the best part! I'm not very good at visualizing, so the 3D ability really proved to be an invaluable resource!

Oh... and on my plan above, each square of graph paper is one foot.