Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelwags

Help with kitchen remodel

hazelwags
9 years ago

Hi - I've been lurking for a month or so ago and thrilled to have found this site. We are starting to plan a kitchen remodel that would expand our current kitchen into part of our family room. I tried drawing a simple floor layout to give you a feel of the space.

Our goals:

(1) Increase storage. Right now, we keep a lot of stuff (food processor, pantry items, cake pans, etc.) in the basement and I run up and down the stairs multiple times during dinner prep.

(2) Include an island for our 2 kids (ages 7 and 9) and their friends to eat, do homework, hang out, etc. We do not expect to have family meals at the island. Maybe breakfast or lunch when it's just me and the kids but not our whole family.

(3) Logical layout - I want something that intuitively works and makes our lives easier, not more difficult.

(4) Touch-down space for school papers, mail, newspapers, magazines, phone, tissues, phone chargers, etc. I have to admit I am a paper person and don't want to ignore this need in our kitchen remodel.

(5) Improve lighting in the space. Will widen the kitchen window by a foot and add a window by the table in the family room (next to the fireplace).

Other relevant info:

Cooks - mainly me. My husband at times on weekends but we don't have a lot of time when we cook together.

Family - 4 of us - Me, my husband, the 2 kids mentioned above (ages 7 and 9) and a black lab that likes to be near us.

House is a New England Colonial.

Cabinet style will be either frameless or full overlay with a very simple cherry recessed (Shaker style) panel.

General plan:

A.) Open up more of the wall between the kitchen and dining room to brighten the kitchen.

B.) Open up the wall to the family room. The family room has a cathedral height ceiling whereas the kitchen and dining room ceilings are 92 inches.

C.) Move our round kitchen table into the family room by the sliding door and add a window to the left of the fireplace.

D.) Widen the kitchen window and add a window in the family room next to the fireplace.

I've met with several kitchen designers and they all provide a similar plan. I understand relocating the refrigerator to the long wall and placing the stove on the short wall (opposite of what I have now.) It will make it easier for the kids to get to the refrigerator from the kitchen table and/or island.

The problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how I would use the space as they've laid it out. It seems like they move the appliances and then just plunk cabinets anywhere they fit.

With my refrigerator to the right of the dishwasher, it doesn't seem like there is actually enough space for both plates and dishes to be easily accessible to the dishwasher and table.

I also want to have some sort of pantry. Some designers suggested a high cabinet with 2 doors and pull out shelves. Suggested widths are 18' and/or 21'. This would go to the right of the refrigerator next to the sliding door. Another KD suggest a 12 deep cabinet turned on it's side so the doors are perpendicular to the refrigerator doors. I don't know which gives me more storage. I see advantages to both.

Also, The drawers to the left of the stove are intended to hold pots and pans but the widest one that has been incorporated into the design is only 27 inches. That seems like it might be too small but I'm not sure how to get bigger ones into the space.

I feel like I need help looking at this and determining if it will really work for if there is a better way to do it. After reading a lot of comments from folks on this forum, I'm confident I've come to the right place!

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: