Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gursk_gw

Finished tetris-free topless kitchen!!

gursk
12 years ago

Hello all - after much work, we are finally done our apartment remodel and I couldn't be happier with how our kitchen turned out!!! I love to work in it, and often find myself just standing & staring at it. :)

Thanks to everyone for your help with the planning. Couldn't have done it without all your wisdom, whether you shared it in response to my questions or to the questions of others. This is such a fantastic resource.

As you may recall, I was seriously worried about storage space, going topless, but there is oodles of space, thanks to the fantastic pantry built by my wonderful fiance.

Here are some of the after pictures!

Custom cabinets, teak veneer, Chroma quartz counter in 'Sandcastle', Forbo Marmoleum in Scarlet 3131

Blanco 440175 Diamond White Single Bowl Silgranit Undermount Kitchen Sink, with Kohler Karbon faucet

Futuro Futuro Murano Glow Range Hood

Kohler Karbon faucet

Custom knife block, made from Ikea KRAFTIG cutting board

Electrolux Wave Touch Induction Cooktop

Sharp R930 Microwave

Long view of the pantry

Interior of pantry!

SOSS hinges for the extra weight on the doors

Lee Valley pull out drawers

Comments (25)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Beautiful vent-hood, well-designed pantry, but my favourite is the peninsula with the stretch of gorgeous counter and the cabinets on the other side. Very pretty and very well thought out. No wonder you love to stand and start at it.

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

Love it! The pantry (drool), the two-color cabs done so well, the red floor, the Karbon and induction, and ESPECIALLY the white appliances. Manufacturers, are you watching?!? See how good they look? We want these!

Congratulations and I'm glad you enjoy it!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I wish there were word processing capabilities here because I want to use bold and italics when I say that I REALLY love all that you have done. I guess caps will have to do....

I love the layout, look, function, and well.... everything! I'd be staring at it too if I were you..... This is such a fun and sleek look and it will be an enjoyable place to make some wonderful meals ;) I have seen bigger kitchens that did not thrill me half as much. Your pantry rocks and helps to keep the kitchen looking so cool because it hides all the busyness that would otherwise be visible. LOVE IT!

• boylanite2
    12 years ago

WOW.....that is one amazing space you've created! Love the pantry. REALLY REALLY LOVE the custom knife block. Did your "wonderful fiance" make that too? Care to share the details of that? Enjoy that space!

• MCMesprit
    12 years ago

Your new kitchen perfectly combines form and functionality -- the pantry alone is a work of art! Congrats and Enjoy!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I love the all white, including the white appliances.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

That is so clean, crisp and free of clutter. Terrific lines. I bet the kitchen works great too. The pantry is cool - like the entrance to the BatCave.

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

Amazing! Your teak veneers blend seamlessly into the living space as furniture! And the hood seems right at home as well. Beautiful countertops, sink - love the knife block! So well executed! All the wow factor of a kitchen 4x its size, without the visual impact on the space.

• stogniew
    12 years ago

great kitchen...

Where did you get the hardware for your pantry? I especially like the adjustable "shelving/wire baskets" for the doors.

• gursk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Northcarolina & Palimpsest, so glad you like the white appliances!!! It was the first decision we made, and was a bit contriversial with family & friends. We wanted to avoid stainless steel for easier cleaning & to avoid having the kitchen look too industrial and too time-period specific (and a bit to thumb our noses at the 'you MUST have stainless steel and granite in any new kitchen' camp.)

Electrolux only sells these appliances in stainless steel in our home and native land of Canada... seriously!? Yes, seriously. After much searching, to get them white, we had to import them up to Vancouver from Washington state. Not a huge deal, as the warranty transfers and we ended up saving $$ as the list prices are less down south.

I just wish that the cook top came in white... but you can't have everything, right? I do love the finish on the Electrolux cook top though, a bit of texture instead of a mirror finish so it looks cleaner, longer, between polishings.

• gursk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boylanite2, yes, my wonderful fiance did make the custom knife block. :)

We had the counter top fabricators cut an extra hole when making our counters; they thought we were nuts, but they did it anyway. The hole allows the knife blades to hang down into the space behind the microwave. My fiance then took the very thick Ikea cutting board (KRAFTIG, made from acacia wood & a steal for 19.99) and routered off the bottom outside edges so it pops right into the counter top hole. This allows the block to sit flush, and not move around.

As for cutting the slits, we did a template of the layout on paper and he spent a lot of time, with a variety of tools getting them just right. I can ask him for more specifics if you like. :)

• gursk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Efs, the wire shelving on the doors are Elfa, called their "Door & Wall Rack Solution", which come in two colours, platinum or white. We ordered them from The Container Store. They are super sturdy and I love being able to adjust them. I'm looking at putting in a few shallower baskets - they have all sizes!

The drawer pull-outs and pilaster hardware are from Lee Valley. We built the shelves using prefinshed plywood, the same product our cabinetmakers used for the cupboard and drawer boxes.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Classy and sassy. Good vision. Compliments to the laborer and the designer!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Gursk,

WOW, WOW and MORE
    WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

OMG.
    I am in complete awe. Simply beautiful. This is the kind
    of kitchen I want in my next home. I have already sent
    an image to my DH so he can view on his work pc.

Red happens 2b our favorite color. I love the red accents
    and the clean lines of your space. Very German to me.
    Maybe I mean European.
    My best friend in Hamburg would love your kitchen even
    more than I do. If that is possible?

I love your hood very chic, your beatiful counters,
    the teak run, the creative storage solutions, and how
    you balanced the clean lines with artistic delight to
    the eye. Simple, elegant, chic and functional. Fantastic.
    And the topless is perfect as it creates a place for
    the eye to rest. I imagine this is the kitchen you can
    cook treasures in or sit relaxed at that table with
    a cup of coffee.

The kitchen looks like a million dollars...Dare I ask
    if it is under $50 thousand. Forgive me, I am trying
    to plan my next place.

Love love LOVE your kitchen.
    ~boxerpups

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I ADORE your kitchen. It turned out beautifully. I love the white on the fridge column -- the whole thing recedes into the background and your eye is drawn to the hood and the window. Perfect. Of course I love touches like the hood, the faucet, the red floor (yum!) and the teak veneers. The pantry is going to be a true workhorse without taking up valuable room or being imposing in the main kitchen area.

I really like your backsplash solution on the range wall. Clean, modern, useful and well-designed. No hand-wringing about where to stop/start a tile backsplash and it nicely echoes what's going on on the other side of the kitchen. All thumbs up!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

That is one gorgeous space you've both created! Love the pantry, the teak, the white apps. All your color choices look great. No wonder you're thrilled. Congratulations!

• kashmi
    12 years ago

Just adding another voice to the admiring chorus. As others have said, a wonderful design and execution -- the perfect marriage of form and function.

Would you be willing to tell a bit about the sleek sculpture in the tall narrow lighted niche just around the corner from the pantry? If this by any chance something your fiance did -- given his talents with wood? It's very organic and Brancusi-like. Thanks in advance.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Great, great, great!!!! As a whole it is wonderful; my favorites are that hood and that pantry. Perfect use of space!

• sochi
    12 years ago

Wow, that is fantastic gursk, I love it. We've been spoiled with so many great modern kitchen reveals over the past few days - this is really stunning. The teak is gorgeous, I love the cabinets on the island. Love the Karbon & pantry. The white appliances look fantastic, as does that wonderful red marmoluem. You've done an incredible job, congratulations. Another awesome Cdn kitchen!

• gursk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow - I'm blushing the colour of our floor from this wonderful reception! It's lovely that all of you notice the little details and the planning that went into this. Like I said, couldn't have done it without y'all at THS, I would have been completely overwhelmed by all the decisions and while still having little idea of the array of options out there.

Boxerpups, I can only give you a ballpark for the materials; this was part of a whole unit renovation of our apartment/condo. :) We stripped all 1000+ square feet down to the studs & built it back up, taking out a few walls and restructuring.

Here are some numbers that may help ...
    Full custom plywood cabinets, painted & teak, including installation - $20000 (a bargain IMHO, as we went with unique depths & box sizes)
    Range hood - $3000
    Appliances - $10000
    Hardware, faucet, sink, soap dispenser, Ikea handles etc - $1500
    Counter top - $3500

Plus, here are some of the before/progress pics.

Listing pictures, before we purchased with previous owner's decor. I actually sort of liked the mirrors in the skylight box - was very bright, but a bit too much.

View of gutted kitchen before walls removed...

Gutted kitchen, standing with back to the window...

Restructuring beams in place - walls gone!

• gursk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kashmi,

The niches in that picture were a problem we turned into a feature.
    When installing the beams to restructure & remove the walls, we found that the bearing wall in the apartment below us wasn't built to plan - it was about 4 inches out! So, we had to bulk up that section of wall to transfer the load. Rather than have a big full bump out, we decided to build it with the niche recesses.

After they were all framed in, I remembered that my fiance had this cool piece displayed in his old place, an aluminum propeller he got from his flying air traffic controller brother-in-law. Fortune smiled and it fit in the niche perfectly. Some recognize it for what it is & get their pilot geek on, while others (we artsy types!) appreciate the sleek sculptural lines. Brancusi! Aspirational, definitely. :)

Now if only filling the other two were so easy...

• enduring
    12 years ago

I loved the niches too! I'm glad that Kashmi asked about them. I love bringing art into the kitchen.

• kashmi
    12 years ago

Gursk: Ah! Knowing that it's a prop, that's exactly what the eyes see now!

These niches are an excellent example of the "make lemonade" cliche. I love them! May just steal the idea -- providing an excuse to feed the pottery and blown glass obsession.

• raro
    12 years ago

Serene, beautiful kitchen; I adore it too. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Question about the IKEA drawer pulls - do they ever catch on your clothing? That was a question my DH had about them; the sample ones I ordered just came today.

• gursk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Raro,

I have gotten caught on the handles once or twice - but no more often than I would on a knob. What I have found is that sometimes when opening heavier drawers with a wet hand, I can loose my grip. Not big deal, but if you have longer fingernails, this can be a bit painful.

Otherwise, I love them - they way they work, the way they look & the price was fantastic!