Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nishka_gw

The choice is Yellow River !!

nishka
13 years ago

Our kitchen renovation is now half over.....

{{!gwi}}

After weeks of worry and distress, we have finally chosen the granite. The winner is Yellow River!! I think we made the perfect choice.

Thank you to michellemarie, boxer and all for posting the Yellow River pictures.

After the granite is installed hopefully by July 15th, we can make a final decision on backsplash and paint. Thanks to meg_ma's pics, BM Roasted Sesame Seed paint is at the top of the list.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (30)

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

That is a stunning work of Mother Nature.

Why do they call it yellow river, though -- is that where it comes from? It doesn't look very yellow in the picture. More greys/browns.

Congratulations on picking your winner!

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a good question eastbaymom. I have no idea. I took these pictures with my cell phone so the coloring might be a little off.

It seems like the yellowish gold colors look almost tan online and the large veins are not actually as dark as they appear here but either way these are definitely two of the most striking slabs we have seen in our search of the Atlanta granite warehouses.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I heart Yellow River!

• missstella
    13 years ago

Nishka,

I'm also in the Atlanta area and looking for granite--so many places are not around anymore. Any recommendations on where to look?

Who did your cabinets--they are really beautiful.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Before I became a soapstone convert, I strongly considered installing Yellow River in my own kitchen. By sharing those e photos of your gorgeous slabs, I am reminded of how much I used to lust after that stone. Yellow River is beautiful! And, so are your cabs! And that incredible arched window! I can't wait to see the final reveal!

• purplepansies
    13 years ago

Nishka,

Love your cabinets - gorgeous color! I'm very interested in your sink - can you tell me what it is? And is the left bowl larger than the right? If so, that is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks!

• steelerfan_2010
    13 years ago

Nishka -

The granite is beautiful. The early pics of your kitchen look great! The arch windows are nice also. Looking forward to seeing the finished kitchen.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

missstella -

We looked all over town for granite. After searching several of the warehouses on Peachtree Industrial and one in Douglasville, we narrowed our search down to two places....

http://www.granitecountertopsatlanta.com , known as Crowe Custom Countertops

http://www.granitedirectwarehouse.com

We were looking for a striking exotic with lots of veining and "flow". Of course we were also looking for a reasonable price since our contractor/cabinet builder was allowing us his wholesprice for group A granite and we were paying the difference.

Based on this gorgeous Yellow River and the best pricing, we ended up going with the first place, Crowe. They will be doing the templates on Tuesday.

Our cabinets were built by Bobby O'Reilly. They are semi custom with solid cherry doors, 1/2 plywood boxes and 1" solid cherry face frames. They are fully stained inside and out.

All of the lower cabinets have stained roll outs and the island cabinets have pullout wicker baskets. The sink base was custom built to accomodate the apron front sink. The wall cabinets beside the range will have reeded glass door insets.

We couldn't be any more pleased with they way they turned out. We saved about $10k over Home Depot's price for a lesser cabinet, and that was with their $8000 buy more, save more pricing special.

If you'd like more information on the granite places or the cabinets just let me know.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Purplepansies -

Yes you are right. The left side is larger than the right. I wanted a divided sink but I also wanted the main washing side large enough to fit my heavy cookware without the handles touching the sides. My last sink was so scratched up I was hoping to avoid that this time. My husband thinks the right side is the perfect size for beer on ice.

It's a 33' Kraus Stainless. I included the link to where I ordered it below. It came well crated and wrapped, and right now it is flawless. I just hope I can keep it that way! It also came with bottom grids and strainer drains.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraus Sink

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Congratulations! I really love my Yellow River and I just can't wait for you to post pics of it installed. I encourage you to study your photos and go to the fabricators to lay out your cabinets on the slabs. I think my husband spent between 4-6 hours doing it. He said the shop people left him alone so he could do it. I know my fabricator never would have laid out my slabs the way we did and I really wanted it done a certain way.
    I may have found my backsplash tile. It is Gramercy Park by Walker Zanger. I plan on using the dot linen or the bone china and I have to figure out a way to use one of their flower tiles. I brought home samples today and it seemed to look good as the light changed throughout the day. Good Luck and keep us posted!

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

I was considering Yellow River so I too "heart" your choice. Its a gorgeous granite with lots of movement. It wasn't right for me (but could have been).

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Beautiful cabinets! And I love your arched windows. Can't wait to see the finished product.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

michellemarie -

Thanks so much for the advice. My husband is already planning what he wants to go where, and we definitely want that large vein somewhere on the island.

When you can, would you please post pictures of your backsplash tiles? I'd love to see them. I am still clinging to the stacked travertine but I also saw gorgeous slate bricks displayed with the Yellow River so my mind is wandering.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Cabinets look gorgeous!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Great choice for the counter. The window above the sink is such a nice feature. Looking forward to seeing the photos when it is done.

• marjoriest
    13 years ago

Nishka,

I have been trying to pick granite for our kitchen (the cabinets go in tomorrow!) and visited Crowes Countertops this weekend. I LOVE the yellow river too and had to smile when I saw your post!! Same place imagine that. How has working with them been? Please post pictures when they are in. I am trying to decide between YR and Crema Bordeaux.

• vate
    13 years ago

Crowe fabricated and installed our contertops. We were (and are) extremely happy with the results.

The granite itself was sourced from Earthtones:

http://www.earthtonesgranite.com/index.html

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vate, That is gorgeous granite. It looks very similar to one they have on display in the showroom. It works perfectly with your cabinets.

The counter tops were finally installed today. These pictures are not the best but you can get some idea of how they look. I will have more later.

Now the question is....what backsplash??????

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

Beautiful choice! I was looking at yellow river myself. I love a granite with lots of movement in it. It's like jewelry for the kitchen. And you always know when you find "the one".

First its wait wait wait and more waiting.. and then all of a sudden they want you to make the paint, granite, and backsplash decision in a day. I really had to wait before I found the granite to pick the paint color. Once I did that, then the backsplash.

Hmmm.. no I take that back.. I picked the granite first, then a rug. Once I did that, THEN the paint (which utterly matches the rug.. which utterly picks up undertones in the granite) and THEN the backsplash tile to tie them all together.

I got the rug at the Big O, and then I found out they actually have tile there too. I had no idea and I've used them for years.

You may want to check them out. Their selections are limited, and sometimes there is only "just enough" for your project. I love my backsplash tile, and there was only 1 box left after my order. There were some juicy selections there of backsplash tiles I'd never seen before.

• gillycat
    13 years ago

your kitchen is looking magnificent. the stone could not be more perfect and the whole look is just lovely.
    waiting to see the rest

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Your granite looks fantastic -- stunning with your cabinets.

And your faucet and soap dispenser are beautiful too!

Are you considering the brick pattern backsplash tile that is propped up above the granite in one of the photos?

• marjoriest
    13 years ago

Nishka, Your pictures are gorgeous! We decided to go with Yellow River too so they are inspiring and I can't wait to see ours installed. Now we just need to pick paint colors. Thank you so much for posting. Thanks to Vate too for the info on Crowe.

• chocolatetruffle
    13 years ago

I am not a granite person, but yours is gorgeous! I could actually see myself getting this if I did another kitchen. Truly stunning work of nature.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for the compliments. I know anyone who has been thru this process debates, ponders, sometimes argues and even agonizes over these decisions, but in the end every kitchen I have seen here looks beautiful.

We all have different styles but what I like about this forum is that everyone is able to appreciate the work others have done. I struggled with what to do, what about resale value, etc. but in the end I did what was right for me. (hint, hint...two tiered island)

Eastbaymom - Yes, we are considering the travertine bricks in noce and beige. I think the beige is a little too light and the noce has too much brown. We are also looking at peacock slate, which gives a very dramatic contrast and pulls out the gray in the granite, but can't find it in the brick style. My husband loves the look of glass tiles so we are trying to incorporate them in some way too.

Ah, decisions, decisions. Any suggestions for a backsplash would be welcomed since nothing is really jumping out at us now.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marjoriest - I forgot to say to you that these counter tops are absolutely gorgeous, just as we imagined. They had eight new slabs come in on Monday of this past week and my husband picked two new slabs from that lot since the one we had looked at initially was cracked. All the slabs are very similar and all are beautiful. Good luck with your installation. I know you will be very pleased.

• marjoriest
    13 years ago

Nishka, don't know which batch our slab came from. I didn't see any obvious cracks but honestly we have been so rushed here with guests for the last two weeks I didn't do a close inspection. The slab was in the warehouse side and was beautiful.

From 2010-07-12

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...your kitchen is beautiful...love the cabinets and that is gorgeous stone. Look forward to seeing this kitchen finished. :-)

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Your granite looks just gorgeous!! I knew it would! One of the things I love best about the Yellow River is that it has the pewter, gold, copper, and cream tones in it. It really lets you go wild with other finishes in your kitchen and ties them together beautifully.
    I am still trying to decide on a backsplash. I am leaning towards the Walker Zanger tiles that have the flowers in them. I had the sample boards for 2 weeks and I still think it looks better in my kitchen than anything else I have brought home.
    So many of the tiles that I would bring home would end up looking beigy or peachy. I also prefer the glossy tiles, but I know the trend on here is travertine and glass mosaics.
    Good luck with whatever you decide. You have done a wonderful job with your kitchen!! ~Michelle

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marjoriest - You would have seen the cracked slab. It was clearly marked and we knew it was cracked when we looked at it. Since they only had a few slabs, and we definitely needed two, they were going to try to fabricate around the crack but as it turns out we got to pick from the new lot that came in on Monday.

Michellemarie - I agree about the many colors in the Yellow River. I want to bring out more of the pewter and less of the gold and brown. I don't want to have one tone overload with reddish brown cabinets and dark yellow walls. We looked at tile again today but are still no closer to a decision.

• twill_fuse_net
    13 years ago

I just had to reach out to you - I was searching for Roasted Sesame Seed pictures and found this post. I nearly fell over. We are remodeling our kitchen. We have nearly the same cabinets and chose the same granite (after an exhaustive search). Also, our homes look so much alike. I have built ins in my family room, odd shaped window, lots of white pillars etc. It looks like your family room is sagey green and so is mine. I would love to see your final pics. Also - do you like your sink. I'm not a big fan of stainless but my husband wants it (especially after seeing your kitchen!)