Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

Undercabinet lighting dummy - decision decision decision!

snowang
15 years ago

Ok, I did go to HD and Lowes and check out their displays, but most of them don't work. I will have cream cabinets, UbaTuba countertop, white subway tile backsplashes and the existing ceiling mount fluorescent lighting remains. It's a 10X10 gallary kitchen. I'd like something fairly low cost, with a warm yellowish hue. The ceiling light is pretty bright for whatever kitchen task I have, so these undercabinet lights will mostly for ambience purposes. I already purchased several to start with:

GE T5 Fluorescent Lighting

Xenon

LED from Costco

sorry, have to run, will finish this posting later...................

Comments (3)

• gshop
    15 years ago

We bought our undercabinet lighting from HD and are VERY happy with both the price and color. As you can see we have medium color cabinets and granite and it gives a wonderful warm glow. I especially love the lights at night. They are the slim line fluorescent and very low priced. DH used special light molding to hide the romex wire from the walls. He was able to put them all on one switch. Here is a pic with all the lights on, sorry I don't have one with just the undercabinet lights.

Here is a pic of the light, with the molding at the bottom of the picture (I know it's a weird angle):

We purchased some from both HD & Lowes and came home & plugged them in to see the difference in color & choose the HD ones. Good Luck!

• snowang
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are the fixtures I've gotten from HD:

GE Premium Fluorescent Light Fixture - only about $15, Direct Wire, Thinnest (1 1/4"), can NOT be linked, uses T5 bulbs, 18" long. BTW, I can't find any wiring or connector in the kit. Would I have to buy sth else?

Xenon Premium 3 light fixture - about $49, Linkable, Plug-in connector, 2 light levels, 18" long.

Considering the cost factor, the GE one is definitely better. I'm not sure if direct wiring or non-linkable would become problems when the electrician puts them in. I only need three sets so turning them on separately would be ok.

Ngng, thanks very much for the pictures. I like the look and feel. I'm still surprised that fluorescent lighting can produce the warm color though, since my ceiling fluorescent is not that yellow at all. Is yours GE? I see the wiring in your picture goes on the outside of the cabinet. Looks like your rails hide the lights very well. I wonder if other electricians may drill a whole on the bottom of the cabinet and pull wiring inside. I forgot to take a look at the bottom of the new cabinets and see if the rails are tall enough to conceal the lights. Maybe that's the standard these days?

If my cabinets are 33" wide, what length should I use for the undercabinet lights?

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

We used basically the same units as ngng. Inexpensive, cool burning soft light (but no yellowish hue) and very pleasing. They come in 6,12 and 18 inch lengths.

For 33 inch cabs, you might consider centering an 18 inch unit under them although 12 inch would work well also. We used 12 inch everywhere.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz