Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do induction ranges/cooktops create static interference with cell

Posted by tea4all (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 18:02

I had decided on Induction for our kitchen remodel. However when using a Salton induction hotplate yesterday, static became unbearable on my iphone each time I got near the hotplate. I can't imagine this would happen with a real induction range or cooktop. Please inform me. This is disconcerting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do induction ranges/cooktops create static interference with

I have never noticed it with our induction. We've had it almost a year now.

o

Oh thank you! That is very assuring especially because you have first hand experience with induction. I appreciate your response.

o

We've had our induction range since early this year, and have also had no interference with cell phones. We love induction!

o

Same here - we don't even have a landline phone.

o

No interference here either. One year experience with induction, and it's a biggie! 5 burner. 36"

o

The problem was probably between the unit and the wall socket, rather than the tech. ;)

o

No interference here either. One year experience with induction, and it's a biggie! 5 burner. 36"

o

I was gone this evening so missed most of your replies. Thank you all for your responses! I am much relieved for I really would like an induction range or cooktop. The hotplate was my first experience with induction--so clean, fast, and easy. The static interference through me for a loop.

Plllog do you think this would be similar to the interference my sis experiences with her under the upper cabinet mounted radio and her fluorescent lights?
Is this something I should talk to an electrician about when we get to reno the kitchen?

o

No problems here. I've used it a bunch of times while talking on the phone.

o

Strayer thanks for responding to this issue. I knew you GW induction users would be able to tell me the real scoop on cell phones and induction ranges/cooktops!

Tomorrow I will experiment using the hotplate in a different outlet while using the iPhone. What a crazy experience it was.

o

I guess it's the hot plate itself or the plug/connection to the wall.

If you get an induction cooktop you will be blown away at how wonderful it is. Go for it. I could go on and on, but it's too embarrassing to admit how much I love a kitchen appliance!

I've got a huge hungry family. Induction is so fast and controllable, the only thing it interferes with is wasted time.

o

Strayer you make me smile! :) What a good post to read before I go to bed! Thanks a bunch.

o

Tea4all,

If you want more informed speculation than mine, ask about the interference in the Appliances forum. There are engineers and tech geeks there who know better than I. I don't use my cell phone in the kitchen, but having not heard about interference, and with the replies denying it, I figured it was similar to your sister's radio (well, not specifically, since I don't know your sister, but like the vacuum cleaner and the TV in the long ago era of the cathode ray picture tube).

o

Induction is common in Europe and Asia. So are cells. This is, what? Twent first century?

Three years of induction cooktop and many of cell phone. No prob at all.

o

Plllog I appreciate your response. I will see what the appliance forum has to say about the issue. Thanks again.

Westsider40--good points. That is why the static took me so by surprise. I wondered if the electrical line in this 35 year old house was acting up. This house is developing idiosyncrasies-- just like me as I age. :) Thanks for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here