Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Missing my Sammy...

lavender_lass
10 years ago

This is not a kitchen question, so I'm sure it will get put over to Conversations...but I am just so sad this morning. My little Sammy went to the vet for a routine blood sugar check yesterday. He was supposed to stay for the day and then come home, so we could adjust his insulin. He's gotten so much better lately, he wasn't needing to take very much insulin at all, so when they called at 10am yesterday...and told us he had died...my husband and I were just devastated. It's been a really rough year and losing little Sammy just hit us really hard. He was only 6 and we had him since he was a little baby..we even had to bottle feed him. He had no idea how big he was and loved to hide in his toy.
{{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures
{{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Comments (56)

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Please accept my sincere condolences for your sad loss. Pets do get into our hearts and become parts of our families, don't they?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much, for the kind words. He was our little boy and bottle feeding definitely made him more of our 'baby' than the other kitties. He was such a sweetie, we will miss him. Our little girl kitty is about 7lbs. dripping wet, and she already misses him. She had Sammy convinced he was half her size :)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Oh, so sorry to hear that! You've had quite a year. Glad DH will be there with you!

• rosie
    10 years ago

Lavender, I'm so sorry. Sad at any time, but our little buddies are such special comforts and companions in need.

Too early, I know, but the kitten I brought home made a real difference to my husband when he was going through a rough patch. He found it hard to be too sad with a kitten playing in his lap and napping on his shoulder.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

omg, is he too cute. What a face! How devastating to have lost him, and so suddenly. It seems so unfair, poor little guy. My heart goes out to you all. It's a heart wrenching thing to have to go through, losing of our pets. Rest assured, Sammy will be watching over you, till you meet again.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Oh lavender I am so sorry. Pets have no idea how special they are to us and Sammy was obviously very special. Hugs to you and DH.

• nancylee_ky
    10 years ago

so sorry for the loss of your Sammy. It's always hard when a loved pet passes away, especially when it is so unexpected..

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Oh LL-so sorry about your Sammy. It's extra tough when unexpected. :(
    Those furry family members really have a special place in our hearts don't they. I second everyone else, glad your dh is home with you. Hopefully your other kitties will help you heal as they adjust to his absence also.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful kitty.

Was his diabetes steroid induced? If you don't mind me asking, what reason did the vet give you that he died?

I had a cat that looked very similar to yours become diabetic due to steroids. He was only on insulin three months before he was normal again. But a few months later, during surgery, they found out he had pancreatic cancer that had spread. I tested his blood sugar levels at home by pricking his ear with a human diabetic device. There's a wonderful website that taught me everything I know - www.felinediabetes.com if anyone else has issues.

• numbersjunkie
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear about your beloved Sammy.

I have a book called Dog Heaven that I bought for our kids (and for myself) when we lost our first dog Sandy. It described a wonderful place in Heaven where they will live forever. I'm sure there is a Kitty Heaven too. And he will live in your heart forever as well.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Lavender
    So sorry for your loss. You have endured so much this year already.
    I am sending you positive energy to help you through this time.
    A2gemini

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Lavender-my heard goes out to you and DH on the loss of little Sammy. May he live forever in your hearts. He was lucky to have had you as his cat mom and dad.

• Linda
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry Lavender. Our fur babies are so sweet and innocent, and they leave such a big hole in our hearts when we lose them. ((((((((Hugs)))))))))

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

So sorry to read about the loss of your beloved Sammy. It is hard to lose a pet that is truly a part of your family. I am sure Sammy comforted you the past year during DH's illness. By the way, so happy to read he is home!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Oh LL, I'm so very sorry about you losing Sammy. I have cats and I know how devastating it is to lose one. They are members of the family and we hold them in our hearts. We know they have a relatively short time with us, but it never gets any easier when they leave us. I believe they have souls and are loved by God.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss of a beloved pet.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

LL, so sorry for your loss.

(((HUGS)))

Bee

• sochi
    10 years ago

So sorry Lavender. That is just so sad, thinking of you.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Poor kitty. I'm sorry, Lav. (((Hugs for you and DH)))

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

LL I am so very sorry for your loss. Your Sammy looks so much like my Tommy. Our last dear boy Boo, who became ours when my dearest mom died, also had diabetes and only lived several months after being diagnosed even though he was on insulin. Hugs to you.

• boone_2009
    10 years ago

So sorry for your devastating loss, lavender_lass. It *is* devastating, because pets are such a huge and important part of any family that has them; our gorgeous golden retriever died more than a decade ago and we still mourn for her and talk about the little things she would do in her special ( and sly!) way, that made us all laugh so much. Thinking of you,
    Boone

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Aww, that is so sad Lavender Lass, I'm really sorry for your big loss. We are major cat lovers, so I can feel your pain. Clearly you nurtured him and gave him all the attention and special care he could ever need, so you can take comfort in knowing that you made a huge difference in his life. Hang in there -- Inga and Pearl (our cats) are sending some kitty hugs your way.

Karin

• enduring
    10 years ago

So sorry about Sammy. You have a wonderful story of LOVE!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

(((hugs)))

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm so sorry you lost your little guy.The death of a beloved pet is really a major loss. Hugs to you both.

• springroz
    10 years ago

Oh, I am so sorry. The entire house misses Sammy. Hugs from Kentucky!

Nancy

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Oh Lavender, how terrible. :( So very sorry. Hand-raising (bottle-feeding) creates an even tighter bond to a furbaby, I think...and the sudden loss...goodness. You've had a rough go of things lately...hugs, prayers, and positive energy going out your way.

• mjocean
    10 years ago

LL,
    So very sorry for your loss of a beloved pet and family member.
    MJ

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry, lavender! We recently lost a beloved canine family member, and it does leave a big hole. I'm sending hugs your way!

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry! My heart absolutely bleeds for you.
    Having lost so many over the years, I know the hole in your space and heart right now.
    To this day I grieve over each and every one of my babies, suddenly gone or sadly, not so suddenly. I don't seem to stop as they each have such a special space. Quirks, snuggles, happy tails. You know.

I know right now this probably isn't in your thought process, but when I lose a baby, I adopt another in honor of the one who left. I live in the country, and in the last 5 years, I just wait. Someone shows up in my driveway, dumped by some ass who thinks domestic cats (sometimes declawed) can hunt for themselves. Or I make a mistake and look at PetSmart and one escapes and gets to me, only to give my hand kisses. I'm doomed.

But my point is they come to me when I need them most. I think they all pick us. Sammy was as lucky to have you as you were to have him sharing your life. I'm just so sorry.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Love my sweeties too. I am so sorry.

• lannegreene
    10 years ago

What a handsome boy he was. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure the diabetes was a challenge for you and him. But I'm sure it made your bond closer. He was lucky to have a caring family. I lost my Lucas a year ago this month and still miss him daily. Do you have another pet to share your life with? It helped us to have another cat to love, but not replace him.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

((((((Hugs)))))))
    He was beautiful.

Sympathy to you and your DH.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your kind words. My husband just came over and read all your responses and he couldn't believe how many people had such nice things to say...thanks again :)

Sammy was a wonderful boy and we will miss him very much.

Allison- Sammy was not taking any steroids, but I have had two cats (over the years) who did. One died of a stroke several years after taking them and another developed tumors in her chest, several years later. I don't know if the steroids caused that, but the vet seemed to think there might be a connection. So sorry for the loss of your little boy. Thank you for providing the information on diabetes.

I also want to say that my husband and I are so sorry for all of you, who have lost pets and we both want to thank you for sharing those memories with us.

They are so special and as Christine said, each one of them has such a special place...quirks, snuggles, happy tails. So true.

• chompskyd
    10 years ago

So sorry, LL. I'm an animal lover too, and have a dog with diabetes. Caring for them when they are ill creates a stronger bond too. Sammy was lucky to have you.

• berardmr
    10 years ago

I am a big animal lover and have fostered lots of dogs in the last decade or so.

I am so sorry for your loss. I feel that I have to say this -- it does seem a bit odd if your boy was fine before he went to the vet for routine testing and then suddenly he's dead at six years old. Diabetic or not, do you think anything could have happened at the vet's office? Maybe it doesn't matter now, and I don't know that I'd even pose that question to my vet. But his untimely death is odd, don't you think?

Sending love and hugs your way.

• flwrs_n_co
    10 years ago

LL, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear Sammy. We've lost quite a few dogs and cats over the years. It hurts still--each and every one, but I cherish the time we had together, whether short or long, and believe we'll be together again one day. I'm sure the many wonderful memories will help to heal your grief over time. My deepest sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your loved one.

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

(((HUGS))) I'm so sorry for your sudden, devastating news. How lucky Sammy must have been to have such wonderful, caring owners. (HUGS)

• CAGiselle
    10 years ago

I just read this. I'm so sorry. I have tears In my eyes as I write this. I know the pain and grief of losing a beloved pet.

• czarinalex
    10 years ago

It's so hard to lose them. We've had many cats over the years and it never gets easier. We lost our little Shadow last Oct and I still cry sometimes. So sorry for your loss.

• carp123
    10 years ago

that's tough. remember the great time you spent with him. it would make me happy knowing how loved he was.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

How heartbreaking to lose a precious member of the family. I agree that Sammy was lucky to have such loving owners.

Carol

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Oh Lavendar, very sorry for your loss. It is truly heartbreaking. And the. News was so shocking,so unexpected He was your little baby and we know ,unfortunately, how awful it feels. Westsider

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

In the past 2 years, we have lost 2 cats, 2 gerbils, and a tadpole.
    We read this poem every time we bury one of our furry (or not so furry ) friends. So sorry for your loss. It can sometimes hurt more than losing a human family member...

RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

Lavender-my heard goes out to you and DH on the loss of Sammy.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the very nice words...we really appreciate it. Sammy was such a special little boy and brought a lot of joy to everyone. He was so shy with strangers, but loved cuddling on the loveseat, watching his favorite TV shows. Yes, he did have favorites...mainly anything that didn't have loud noise or things blowing up, which would send him right under the table (LOL)

For all of you, who've lost special pets, I am so sorry for your loss, but know that any pets that's loved so much...is very lucky indeed.

Oliver- Thank you for sharing the poem...it's a beautiful tribute to our other family members :)

• Donaleen Kohn
    10 years ago

Oh, I am so sorry. We are struggling with a diabetic cat at our house. Oh,you must miss him like crazy.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Lavender_Lass, I am so sorry for your loss of your precious adorable Sassy who was much too young to pass away. Our pets become part of our family and it hurts so much like losing a child when they pass away. I miss having kitty cats. One day I will have a cat or kitten again. Due to my home office and some clients having allergies I had to be careful when bringing home a pet to love to be sure they were the least allergic kind or I would lose clients. I miss the purring and the unique personalities of each cat as we had three growing up. I now have two Maltese and one Shih Tzu as they do not shed. I am still missing my Skeeter so much so I know how painful it is to lose a furchild especially one bottle fed that passes away much too young. Sending you comforting, caring and understanding hugs.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Lavender_Lass, I am so sorry for your loss of your precious adorable Sammy who was much too young to pass away. Our pets become part of our family and it hurts so much like losing a child when they pass away. I miss having kitty cats. One day I will have a cat or kitten again. Due to my home office and some clients having allergies I had to be careful when bringing home a pet to love to be sure they were the least allergic kind or I would lose clients. I miss the purring and the unique personalities of each cat as we had three growing up. I now have two Maltese and one Shih Tzu as they do not shed. I am still missing my Skeeter so much so I know how painful it is to lose a furchild especially one bottle fed that passes away much too young. Sending you comforting, caring and understanding hugs. I had to edit to correct a spelling error. I should have spelled checked first. I am off to get some sleep. So sorry for your loss.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Lavender_Lass, I add my heartfelt sympathy to all those who have written. It has to be difficult to get such unexpected news. I just checked into GW for a diversion and found your thread. I am so sorry for your loss! Give yourselves time to grieve. Be gentle with yourselves. (Yesterday was a bear of a day and today hasn't started off very good. We had to put our precious 16yr old dog to sleep. Never had to choose such a hard thing with a pet before. It's awful though right to relieve her suffering--lymphoma and collapsed earlier in the day.) We all will find a new "normal".