Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doonie_gw

Finished Handmade Tile Backsplash!

doonie
13 years ago

I am thrilled my backsplash is finally grouted. I wanted to post and share how pretty these tiles are. The decorative pieces are Brittany & Coggs. The field tile is Winchester in the colors of maize and peridot, still expensive, but less than the Brittany & Coggs. Both tiles possess the lovely undulations inherent in hand made tiles.

Comments (16)

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Doonie - BEAUTIFUL!

My oh my can't wait to see your finished kitchen....

Eliz

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Woooow!! Gorgeous!

I'm not normally a fan of orange colors, but love it! Sort of an apricot that eminds me of a Dreamsicle! Perfect subtle use of the glass tiles that are just a hair darker

Bravo!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Reminds me of fresh churned butter...and that's a good thing!

• User
    13 years ago

The diamond shaped design in the edge tiles reminds me of confection sugar sprinkled through a doily onto the top of a honey toasted white cake. It looks good enough to eat.

You sure designed a winning combination as a focal point in your kitchen. Totally gorgeous.

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Wow, that's yummy! I love all the textures together, and the diagonal square tiles that echo each other... and the beautiful mitering on the white trim pieces...

It looks like you used two different colors of grout? I've probably missed a post or two.

I'll look forward to the full unveiling!

• bethohio3
    13 years ago

I *love* your backsplash, doonie.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I love the hand-made tiles. The yummy, buttery colors put me in the mind of cooking (and eating).

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Just stunning!! Reminds me of the beauty of a wedding cake-so elegant. Did you do the install yourself?? If not, the person you hired did an amazing job. Can't wait to see the whole kitchen.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting your gorgeous backsplash. I've been searching high and low for something which makes me go "wow" for my kitchen, and this is truly the first time I have seen something which I think would go well in my home. I looked at the Brittany & Coggs site and adore the daisy/bee pattern.

Now, whether or not I can afford it is a whole other matter :p

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

That is very lovely...classy looking!!!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all! The colors make me happy. I am wanting a sunny kitchen. The grout is all one color, maybe not quite dry yet - sanded Custom Antique White per the recommendation of Tanya at Brittany & Coggs. The little squares of stone are honey onyx. We had an awesome tile installer set and grout it. It still needs to be sealed.

sivyaleah, that daisy/bee pattern is the first one I saw in a magazine and it drew me because off the buttery feeling of the kitchen.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

"Sunny feel" is exactly what I need :) My kitchen is rather dark (although I'm installing a sliding door soon and hoping this solves it), and that tile is so yummy. I've been wanting to incorporate an apricot tone to a kitchen as long as I can remember - sort of a homage to my mom, who passed away several years ago and, who adored apricots lol. It just would make me happy to come into the room and see that color; sort of a trace memory of her with me there daily. I just hadn't found a single tile yet which captured the essence of what she represented to me and that tile is so cheerful, warm and homey that it really does evoke "mom" for me.

May I ask what you wound up paying for it? *gets ready to faint*

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was definitely a budget buster, but I knew I wanted it as a focal point to the kitchen. I am rationalizing it by treating as a work of art. I will email you the specifics. It adds a lot of light to my narrow long kitchen, which is what I wanted too!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

That is very well thought out and the tiles look so rich and elegant. ENJOY!!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Oh, my, my, my, my. This is just so lovely. I do love those textural, mellow, tonal tiles. It's okay if you find yourself stroking them adoringly, you know. ;) I can't wait to see the china you use in there.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Pretty!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022