Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frugalnotstingy

3rd time's a charm - pls bear with me

frugalnotstingy
10 years ago

My inability to make a decision is bordering on the ridiculous. I found a tile that I LOVE & want to use it over the cooktop. Does it go well with my granite & the backsplash tiles?

Also, if you would care to vote one more time for the bs (glass vs ceramic), I would greatly appreciate it. No more recall election after this. ;-)

Comments (34)

• taggie
    10 years ago

Glass tile backsplash, and no I don't think the cooktop tile goes. But it's very difficult to tell because the mesh area is quite orangish and that may well be throwing the tiles themselves off. Perhaps it might (big might) work with the right grout, but I would stick to the lovely glass subways and call it a day myself!

• jess1979
    10 years ago

Can you explain which tiles are going where. We were going to have have the backsplash using tiles similar to the tiles you have.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I like the glass subways. I would pass on the little ones.

Unfortunately colors don't always translate well online. You may just have to go with your gut feeling.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The tile colors all seem to blend well with your counter grays. I would do a different grout color, as it seems to be giving a peachy cast.

In the last picture, the granite looks warmer. So it's hard to tell! It also depends on how you are using everything, in terms of the tile pattern (especially the small one) mixing with your swirling stone. It would seem to be offset enough being over a range.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Consider the cabinets and not just the granite. With your older oak cabinets, I would be careful about introducing a modern and/or a very high-end look with glass and crushed glass tile. I would use a ceramic tile with your traditional cabinets, but I wonder if gray is too trendy. What are the floors?

As for tiling with something different under the hood, I would only consider that if you have a range and hood that you want to draw attention to as a focal point.

• sapphireriver
    10 years ago

I think they work well together.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Glass..it is a lighter, airier look. The one in the middle looks too orange/peach next to the granite and all those little squares will look busy.

What is your granite? Very pretty!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Are your cabinets going to remain as is, no painting? If so, I agree that something more traditional. If the stone is warmer than in the first pictures, I would also consider something warmer to tie in the cabinets.

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robinie - the gray tiles will be the field tile & the 1x1s will go over the cooktop.

may_flowers - I don't have a range or a hood but I don't know what to do with the wall over the cooktop.

debrak2008 - you are right. The colors do not translate well. The gray tiles are pretty close, the the small ones - not so much.
    I feel like I'm back to square one. :-(

Here is what the cooktop area looks like.

What if I use a bigger tile? It shows more of the crushed glass.

This post was edited by frugalnotstingy on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 2:09

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think it's the two completely different colors that is troubling me. I think you need to go gray OR tan...you can have different tiles over the stove...but in the same color family. Also, for the tan--I would go more with the golden tones in your counter...the tile you show looks like the peachier tones and I think it clashes with your cabs IMHO.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Second Joanie's color choice, and adding that I like the larger version, not the small1x1s.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The crushed glass is too much bling and sparkle for your heavier oak cabinets. You're mixing too entirely different styles.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I found your old thread and I remember your kitchen. Since your floor is a dark gray tile, and there's a lot of it, I think a gray backsplash will give you a two-toned kitchen--gray and brown. It could be a little depressing. The gray ceramic is definitely too dark, but a tan tile could clash with the floor. Can you take a close-up of the floor tile, please?

You might also try posting on the Home Decorating forum without the gray samples and see what they come up with. Sometimes they have a different perspective than people on the Kitchens forum.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I 2nd the idea to post your kitchen without any tile samples on the decor forum and ask WWYD.

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is so hard. (Sigh) I am always just drawn to the gray tiles. Does this mean I have to paint my cabinets to make the colors & style that I want work?

Thanks for all your opinions.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I know those crushed glass tiles are very cool, but I don't think they go with your cabinets and counter, esp. not in that color which reads peachy pink. Full disclosure: I've decided I don't care for glass tiles at all, so I would suggest a ceramic tile in whatever color you choose. Agree with others that, if you have a gray floor, a gray backsplash could be a little dark/oppressive. It's a good suggestion to remove all your samples, take a photo that shows more of the kitchen, then ask, what would look good here. It's better than having responses be, no, not that, or that either.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like the bigger square tile with the gray tile...if you use it as an accent strip about 2/3 of the way up from the counter. It picks up the accent color in the granite and will tie in with the wood color of the cabinets. Very pretty counter top :)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I have those crushed glass tiles on my back splash in a gorgeous green color that blends nicely with my seafoam granite. But we used them VERY sparingly, as accents on a cream color background. They actually look more rustic than modern when only a few are used and paired with a more traditional tile.

Have you considered using an off-white or cream colored back splash tile, rather than the gray? I agree with linelle in that a ceramic tile might be better suited to your cabinets.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Can you take a picture of the glass tile, the ceramic tile, and the mosaic all together flat on the countertop? For some reason when you lean them up against the wall, it's difficult to tell the exact color (for me at least). I think maybe the glass and the mosaic could work, but it's a little difficult to tell if the edge color of the mosaic is off.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Sounds like you are getting overwhelmed. Maybe take a break for a week or so, then look at everything again with fresh eyes. There's usually no hurray to do a BS (other than you want it done yesterday!) For the BS--maybe try to find something with the tones in your floor to tie everything together. I would keep it simple, especially if your floor has a pattern.

• plumberry
    10 years ago

really need to see the floor and more of the cabinet. at first I was going to say the grey glass but if the space is more traditional (which seems so from the cabinet) I would say ceramic - but then I wonder if the color contrast of ceramic would work with the cabinet. the tile colors all seem to work with the counter, just don't know about the cabinet and floor. sorry. I know it's hard but hang in there.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I agree with joanie. The BS can be the most frustrating of the reno. Especially for those of us who did not have their vision set before hand.
    Take a break. I also agree that I would like to see the kitchen without your samples.
    From what I see, i would do a simple cream subway or square. Look at a2gemini's kitchen. She has a border and accent tiles that add the bling you are looking for. I like too how she had her tiles installed. One row straight, the rest on a diagonal.
    I love glass tiles, but not with your oak. Sorry.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The elements you love have a beekeeperswife glam kitchen feel to them, and you are trying to force that onto oak cabinets. I think that you can find tiles you'll really like, but you need a different reference point to lead you down the right path.

How about the Grazia Rixi tiles? They bring in soft color. This kitchen is very pretty, though the accent tiles are very traditional and probably not your taste.

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I feel so pressured right now. My MIL is here and just keeps giving hints about getting my painting finished (painting the trims & wall) & my friends can't fathom why I haven't finished the kitchen yet - one was so vocal as to ask me how I can live in this mess for so long.

Here are some pics of what some of you asked for:

Top view of the counter & the floor:

Yes, may_flowers, I definitely need someone to point me in the right direction.

And I would post a WWYD too.

Thanks again!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Oh, pooh! Don't worry about what your friends say...if they're that concerned, have they offered to throw a painting party? My house is a mess (my husband just got home from the hospital) and that's the way it's going to be for a few more weeks!

I like that saying...those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter :)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

This is because you are TKO. We all experience it. No one except other TKOers understand why we take so long for making decisions, etc.

When I was questioned I would just start talking about what perfectionists we are and do into great detail about design choices. Everyones eyes would start glazing over and they would not ask again.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I just wanted to second mayflowers recommendation of the Grazia Rixi tiles. I have them in my master bath in Mandorla, along with the crushed glass accent tiles you picked out. Perhaps you could use some of those crushed glass tiles as a small accent in your backsplash along the lines of the kitchen mayflowers linked? The Rixi tiles are very understated but very beautiful. Someone recommended them to me and I have totally fallen in love with them. I think they would look gorgeous with your granite and cabinets - maybe in the Crema color. In my master bath I used the Rixi Mandorla tiles as the primary field tile and the little crushed glass squares in the bath faucet and shower niches.

I know it's hard not to feel rushed to find a backsplash, but if you give it some time I am sure you can find something you are truly excited about!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

"When I was questioned I would just start talking ... into great detail ... everyone's eyes would start glazing over and they would not ask again. "

LOL.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I wonder what color you could paint your cabinets that would be more modern looking, which you seem to want, but still blend with the traditional oak woodwork. You have a bridge to build there.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I was just reading through that thread I linked and A2gemini used Grazia Rixi too. You should be able to find her backsplash on GW. Also look at Grazia Melange, which Babushka_cat and a few others used. They have a gray, but now your floor tile looks more brown than gray, so you could use a cream.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Take your time and don't worry about what others say/think. This IS a big decision--it's expensive and you have to live with it for a long time so you want to get it right.

Looking at the picture of your entire kitchen...I would definitely go with a creamy field tile and then do an accent in a tile that ties in the floor color (but that also coordinates with the granite as well). Take a break...then maybe try to scout out some other tile shops...even if you have to travel a little..it will be worth it. In the meantime, scope out on HOuzz, etc..and try to find pictures of similar kitchens..that might help narrow it down.

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

joaniepoanie, the granite is bianco romano. I didn't mean to ignore your question.

debrak2008, i love that "glazing over" comment! LOL

marinagal, I am so loving the tantrum tiles. I really wish I can use them.

Looking into grazia rixi now.

Thank you everyone for the moral support! I was able to take a deep breath & am feeling less pressured now.

Btw, I just started a WWYD post. :-)

• plumberry
    10 years ago

give yourself a break. no one knows unless they are in your shoes. I agree with joanie poanie. our local tile store offered to come to our house to help. maybe you can ask yours. also, we have so many tile samples we tried out in our home that we can open a store.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Great idea about going to a tile store. I went to a few and found a someone in one store that had a great design eye. She found what I think is the perfect tile for our backsplash. You might have to make a few visits to several stores.

For paint colors I already had about 500 paint chips but went to our local sherwin williams store. The people there are known locally for being really good with color. Again found the just right colors.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor