Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewingdeedles

Just finished kitchen

sewingdeedles
13 years ago

I have to thank the posters to this blog for posting information which was invaluable in my kitchen remodel. After living with old melanin cabinets with drawers and shelves falling into each other and doors off the hinges it is a huge relief and comfort to finally have a space which is functional and beautiful. I found the kitchen forum to be my most important resource and inspiration as I designed the kitchen with the aid of my contractor and without a kitchen designer. Sure - not everything turned out the way it was planned; there were bumps in the road, but now that it is finally done I love it and want to share it with you.

Double ovens, 36" range top, 36" warming drawer, vent hood, freezer column, refrigerator column, and integrated dishwasher are Thermador.

Microwave drawer is Wolf.

Double sink is Julien.

Pull down faucet and soap dispenser are MGS Progetti.

Integrated beverage center is Kitchenaid.

Garbage disposal is Viking.

Glass backsplash tile is from Walker Zanger (Oceanside and Skyline)

Cherry cabinets with medium brown glaze and rope detailing were custom built by Willies Custom Cabinets. Cabinets include lots of soft close base drawers, glass front display upper cabinets, small pantry, toe kick drawers, and most importantly for adequate storage 39" upper cabinets.

As you will see the biggest challenge in this space was designing a useful configuration of cabinetry to go under the 1970's floating stairs to replace the former brick planter area. Now the area serves as a bar, wine storage, and storage for china, serving pieces and sterling flatware. Every corner has been put to use without losing the open feel of the space. After all this obsessing what am I going to do with my time now??

Comments (34)

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What you can do with your time is congratulate yourself at length on an incredibly ingenious use of space and a stunning outcome. If that ever gets old, you can share your expertise -- including the bumps in the road -- with other people on this blog. Your experience as your own designer is invaluable.

Congratulations.

• poppy09
    13 years ago

I love your choice of granite, backsplash and cabinets. They compliment one another beautifully! Brilliant job designing your gorgeous kitchen!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Very nice. And thank you for keeping the floating stairway and embracing it for what it is. I like how the staggered design on the front of the doors under the stairs are reflective of the stairs, themselves. My kudos to you and to Willie the cabinetmaker!

• nishka
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is very nice. I love the classic raised panel cabinets combined with the modern glass backsplash.

• chihuahua6
    13 years ago

I love the warmth of the wood and how you kept it open and airy, not always easy to do with darker cabinets. Very yummy kitchen.

• doraville
    13 years ago

What great space saving features you included! I really like the drawer above the oven. You've got me thinking about one above my frig. Enjoy!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

If your goal was to make the spaces a lot more formal and classic, you have really done a good job! Applause for your integrated vision and the interconnection between spaces!

I suspect this is a good party space as well as a functional day-to-day kitchen+dining area+casual eating area end of the house.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Super job! Love the use of the under-the-staircase space as well!

• User
    13 years ago

I love the way you kept all the best parts of your home and added the right touches to make it splendid...you have really made a wonderful space. Enjoy ! c

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

I love what you did with the Walker Zanger tile! Very inventive use of different types of tile together.

In general, the way the light plays off of all the different surfaces (cabinets, countertop, backsplash) is really stunning.

Congratulations!

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Very, very nice! Your cabinets are beautiful. I love the details.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Seriously nice! Great glass inserts, btw. It all came together beautifully ;)

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Beautiful job! I love your floating staircase and what you did with the cabinets under it. It must be fun coming down those stairs and being able to see into your new kitchen. Congratulations and enjoy.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

oh lal laaa!

Wonderful kitchen. Kudos on the DIY design. I give extra points to DIYers :)

The stone is stunning. love the BS, appliances, flooring, cabs and everything else.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Very, very nice! Your cabinets are beautiful! Love that rich color! That whole room is so rich and warm and open at the same time! What a fabulous use of space!

From one DIYer to another--major kudos! Congrats!

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I agree with jakebedy, that the unusual treatment of the front under the stairs and the cabinet end are just perfect. I love the glass in the uppers. And that gorgeous faucet.

Are those stainless steel tiles above the passthrough?

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Wow - phenomenal transformation. Such a creative mind to use the under stair area in such a way! Your colors are warm and inviting and your storage ideas are fabulous! Don't you love the super susan?

I love your bar stools. I've done the same treatment around my pass-through window with the glass tiles -- I haven't seen it before so I was so excited to see someone else take the leap with tiling it in!

Great job!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

It's so, so pretty! The backsplash color, sizes, placement is genius! I LOVE what you did with the pass through, and the clever under-the-stairs storage. All the materials and colors look beautiful together. It looks like a really talented professional KD was involved! Congratulations and enjoy!!!!

• sfmomoxo
    13 years ago

Oh my!!!! It is absolutely beautiful. Your colors and materials are all incredible. I also think your under-the-stairs treatment is especially genius.

I was wondering what color you've painted the dining room?? It is divine!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

You did a fabulous job. It's just beautiful! Enjoy!!

• Yvonne B
    13 years ago

OH. WOW!! What an amazing transformation and I love your attention to detail. I really like your beverage center, and the warming drawer under the cooktop is a great idea.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Wonderful transformation! Your views are amazing! I love the way you've maximized your storage and space. Your granite is gorgeous and everything compliments it so well!

What software did you use to plan your space? Any advice on planning the space without a KD? Your use of the space under the wonderful floating stairs is genius!

Congratulations and enjoy! Please be sure to post your kitchen in the FKB so we can continue to study your space! :)

• rcvt
    13 years ago

Beautiful job! Serene yet energizing. And what you did with the floating stairs is brilliant.

rc

• lala girl
    13 years ago

That is one GORGEOUS kitchen! I am so impressed with the finishes and the functionality - wonderful!! Thanks so much for sharing.

It is also good to read that not everything went as planned - that is helpful for me as I am in the midst of "everything not going as planned." If my kitchen can turn out half as wonderful as yours, I will be thrilled.

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

This seriously has to be one of my favorite kitchens! I have been going back and forth on what I want to do with a backsplash and I LOVE the big glass tiles with the accent thinner ones! Can you tell us what size the bigger glass tiles are?

• athomesewing
    13 years ago

Totally Gorgeous! Congrats!

• sewingdeedles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I am very fortunate to have an amazing panoramic view of the Pacific and Catalina Island. The back of the house is above Trump National Golf Course in Rancho Palos Verdes California. Each day is so different when you are near the ocean. Being home is very relaxing. I also want to entertain more but given the dilapidated and cramped kitchen which was so central to the open floor plan of my home I hadnt been motivated to do so until now. I was trying to maximize the storage space and make the kitchen amenable to daily use as well as entertaining. I didnt really realize how much I lean toward the traditional and formal. I had been waiting a long time to be ready to do the kitchen because I knew I wanted quality and quality costs. However, the other side of me gravitates toward modern so I just decided to embrace my eclectic nature and integrate the flat stainless frig, fixtures and glass tiles with the traditional cabinets. I picked what I liked and tried to blend in with what pre-existed. I stayed with the basic floor plan for utility lines and looked to move up and out. In answer to the questions and comments: the tile above and beside the counter pass through is iridescent Oceanside Tile; the paint color is Benjamin Moore AC-4 in the kitchen and AC-5 on an accent wall in the front hall and dinning area; and all the credit for the staggered facade on the cabinets under the stairs and the idea of floating the bar drawers goes to my contractor who is also an architect. No computer program was used, but had it been it might have avoided some of the mishaps with mis-measurement and mis-communication. Yes the 36" inch warming drawer was a leap of faith as space was at a premium in this kitchen. I am really glad I did it and the deep pot drawers under the oven and warming drawer make up for the pot and pan cabinet I replaced. The large Skyline tile is special order and comes 8" x 10". A full piece is installed above the 4" mosaic blend border and I had it cut in ½ at 4" x 10" for symmetry below the border. Yes I love the super susan and was so surprised it was attached to the shelf without a post. Thank you to whomever it was who used the $30 Grundtal shelf and posted a picture. It is inexpensive, lets air flow through and I followed his or her suggestion of insetting it under the tile so I wasnt forced to have a stainless backsplash to put the warming lights in the hood to use. If I had it to do all over I wouldnt buy the Kitchenaid beverage center even though it was less expenses than some of the others because the bottom rack just sits in the bottom of the unit and is not attached to gliders like the other shelves- a design defect in my opinion.

As I write this I am sitting on a stool at my counter admiring my kitchen. I know my taste isnt for everyone, but I just love living in this space and I hope you like it too. What a great 50th birthday present!
    P.S. Much thanks to my contractor, Anthony Hays of Hays Construction, for guiding me in bringing the vision to reality.

• cj47
    13 years ago

Love that staircase and that gorgeous backsplash! What an elegant and classy space you've created! Enjoy!

Cj

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Amazing transformation... very creative and unique use of the space under the stairs. So much better than what was there before! (I am sure that was a nightmare to keep uncluttered, that open box!) Congratulations!

• zeebee
    13 years ago

Beautiful. The colors and tones of everything come together so well - the cabs, the floor, the granite, the ingenius tile designs. Really lovely kitchen!

• sewingdeedles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hardware is Siro Designs Nuevo Classico

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

What a great kitchen. I love your granite and your choices go so well together. Enjoy!

• sewingdeedles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will enjoy it. Now if I can only remember how to cook. :)

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Wow! Spectacular tilework! I love the way the cabinet glass echoes the tiles. Such a lovely, subtle combination. And the storage under the stairs is fantabulous.