Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thornhill_gw

Wolf 36" range with island trim vs 5" riser

thornhill
10 years ago

I have had the Wolf 36" all gas range for about 18 months. We have the island trim even though it is not on an island with a white marble tile backsplash. On the far left and far right above the trim the heat has caused the tile and grout to take on a brown/orange hue. I scrub this every so often and it takes most of the colour off, but not all of it. Over time less and less is coming off. I decided that perhaps I would purchase the 5" trim even though I don't like the look as much if it prevents this issue. I am concerned that the same staining will occur, just 5 inches higher. Anyone have any great insight into this?

Thanks so much

Comments (13)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I have the 5inch trim. At first I didn't think I'd like the look, but I really do. My previous range had the island trim, and I like this better. I've only had the range for a few months, but there is no discoloration on the grout, which is a light cream color. One of the reasons I selected the 5inch trim was to hopefully prevent the problem you are experiencing. The vent holes on the trim face the front, so the heat is not escaping directly onto the tiles .

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

delete duplicate post

This post was edited by cat_mom on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 14:39

• michelle16
    10 years ago

No tile yet in my kitchen, but I will use this trick, since I have the wolf and small island trim-thanks cat mom!

• thornhill
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may have to get the riser. I doubt I am consistent enough to do the foil trick.

Thanks

• julieste
    10 years ago

I have the 10" riser and never, ever would have chosen this on my own. But, we bought a floor model that had this riser as a part of the purchase. I like it a lot, probably more than I would have liked the 5", because I think it makes a statement.

• Rocco Liggieri
    6 years ago

I'm in this boat now. I have an older R series 36 inch range. I have the 20 inch shelf, but it is ugly. Since I'm retiling my backsplash I want the Island Trim. While I know the part number, I can't find a picture of it. One site that sold it, the picture looked like the 5 inch riser.

• Rocco Liggieri
    6 years ago

It's so strange how I can't find images of the actual part number which is 814892 (island trim). Anything that does come up with an image for that number looks like a 5 inch riser. I called Wolf and they were of no help.

• Rocco Liggieri
    6 years ago

Maybe this place has it right:

https://www.certifiedapplianceparts.com/CSC/Island_Trim_-R36__ISLAND-R36/i_1_0/_814892.aspx

• Rocco Liggieri
    6 years ago

jellytoast does the island trim have any special mount, or does it just sit on the top?

• Sue Locke
    6 years ago

We have a 36" riser because when we bought the house the range had a 10inch riser that was horribly scorched and nothing removed the scorch. Now I realize if I use the back burners the new riser will also scorch. Pretty poor design but the range came with the house so I guess I will use foil.

• Renee
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just called Wolf about this issue (we're debating the 5" v. 10" riser for our new dual fuel 48" range). Wolf says with the dual fuel, discoloration on the backsplash tile and grout isn't as big an issue since the heat from the oven is pushed out the front of the range, near your feet. I still think we might go with the 5" riser because our range has a double griddle, which I can easily see splattering a lot of grease and stuff.

• tspizzuco
    4 years ago

Renee, would you have a pic of what you are discussing by chance? I am expanding my kitchen and putting a 36inch or 48 (not sure yet) in Island. I will have concrete countertops and the little backsplash will also be concrete.. ty.!!