Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Help -- tile edging question

northcarolina
11 years ago

Backsplash tiling is scheduled for Thursday. (yay!) BUT there is a problem. I planned to use chair rail cap at the top where the tile will stick out beyond the cabinets; this is about 6-8" on each side of the upper cabinets. These top edge pieces will butt up against windowsills or door frames, not stop in the middle of the wall. However, I just checked and the chair rail cap protrudes out farther from the wall than the window trim, so the unfinished edges will be exposed. A miter and return wouldn't work because it's butting up against a flat surface and the chair rail profile is not flat.

So is there some way to make this work, or do I just have to use bullnose instead? I'm using plain white 4x4 (I truly do like it better than anything else I've looked at plus it fits the house) and I was hoping to dress it up just a little. The flattish bullnose is not my favorite look; I am afraid it'll make the white 4x4 look cheap. There are so many things going in the backsplash already that there isn't really a logical place for a decorative horizontal liner, so I was going to let the top edge be the extra oomph even though there will be only a little bit of it showing. (The things going on are lots of electrical outlets, light switches at a different level than the outlets, two windowsills 5" above the counter, and cabinet bottoms at varying heights. Not to mention the freestanding range with the tall back panel.)

This is a blurry image from the Internet. I'd love to make this work... or maybe I'm overthinking (yet again) since after all we are talking about whopping 8" runs of tile.

Thank you!

Comments (5)