Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gglks

Urgent....Off White vs. White cabinets...

gglks
15 years ago

So I have until Tuesday to make up my mind.....I was planning on going with Omega/Dynasty Wyatt door in Maple/ Pearl and the island in Alder/Chestnut. Now that I have been unable to peel myself away form GW, I'm second guessing myself. I really love RMKITCHEN and MAMAPAPAPAIGE'S kitchens and both seem to be creamier rather than pure white.

Should I go with Oyster paint instead of Pearl??? I think Alma is out because it appears yellowish to me. Opinions please!!!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Omega Cabinetry

Comments (11)

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sooooooo glad you responded!!!! I think my gut tells me to go with Pearl. We live in a very wooded area and my house tends to be shaded and dark. The kitchen is currently white and I really do like it. I had a sudden panic of a "cold" sterile white kitchen. Now that we are "talking" it through, I don't think it would ever turn out that way. Thanks for bringing me back to the "light"!

• flseadog
    15 years ago

For the same reason as rm my perimeter cabinets will be pure white. Our kitchen is mostly an interior room and we have only one west facing window in the kitchen. The other natural light comes from the east facing windows in the great room. I wanted my cabinets to be bright.

Although your cabinets are Omega and mine will be Brookhaven so this may not apply in your case, a designer I spoke to who is really, really good with color took one look at my Oyster Bay Brookhaven door sample and pointed out how pink it was. I had never noticed this before but she told me that most glazes or paints that have oyster in the name do have a pink undertone. This is another reason I went with the pure white---the setting sun from the west and the pink toned cabinets would have been more of a rosy glow than I wanted.

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of any choice but just trying to give you some information that was helpful to me in my choice. Good luck.

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flseadog, thanks for your input....the work PINK scares me so that helps with my decision!!!!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Watch out for Pearl, it is very creamy, at last in my Armstrong cabinets. We just began installation the other day and realized how close in color they are to our Rich Cream walls so we're having to repaint the wall in another color so the cabinets stand out. We didn't take a sample of the paint to the showroom and just used our eye thinking the Pearl was much whiter than it actually is. We love the Pearl, but it is way too close to our wall color. Here's a photo that is not at all too good. I can post better ones tomorrow.

{{!gwi}}

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

I agree with rmkitchen. You really need to look at the paint samples in your kitchen. Don't make a decision based on a picture on GW. I would have made a huge mistake if I had chosen the paint color based on my decision at my KD's office. I was going with what I thought was creamy white and when I brought it home and looked at it in my kitchen it looked tan. The sample I thought was too stark white ended up looking creamy white in my kitchen and that is the color I ended up with. I was so glad I brought the sample boards home.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

gglks,
    thanks for the compliment on my kitchen. Just wanted to agree with what others have said and to go with what you like for your kitchen. We get a TON of natural light in our kitchen and I think a pure white would have looked too white, BUT the real deciding factor on the cabinet color was that the place we ordered our cabinets from had a VERY limited selection for colors. I had originally wanted a custom paint job (which would have been an extra $2K so it got nixed)... I wanted a color called Sag Harbor Gray which is medium to dark in tone. My husband wanted White, so the off white was a compromise. When we started our project, I had wanted a more contemporary urban feel than what I ended up with. My husband (who is normally very agreeable and doesn't get too involved in design decisions) wanted a very neutral (safe) look. I was just so thrilled he agreed to the kitchen re-do at all, so I went along with his choice of cabinet color and in the end I am thrilled with the result (but honestly, had we done it my way (the sexy/moody/urban feel), I would have been thrilled too... it just would have been lots of different choices - surely not the granite I chose - I would have gone with suede finish on Antique Brown granite (had it all picked out to go with the custom cab color)).

Anyway, I am rambling, but just trying to make the point, that depending on which color you go with will create a different look (and different choices in terms of granite / tile, etc), but if you are like me, you'll be happy either way.

btw, the omega color samples on the internet might be off for me. The Pure White looked like baby blue. The color samples I was looking at on the internet when choosing my cabinet color were pretty far off of the actual samples. Do you have an actual physical sample to choose from? ... I carried mine around along with all my other samples (flooring, tile, butcherblock, granite) while I finalized my decisions.

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for all the input!!! i actually have had a "pearl" door sample in my kitchen for weeks now and feel confident about it. it is tough to look at colors online. i looked at a kitchen, can't remember whose name, but when i went to get a paint chip, it was much darker than it appeared in the photo.

mamadadapaige, i know what your are saying about your husband! I too am just so shocked we are actually going through with the remodel that I have to let him have a say in some of this!!!! He preferred the stainless farmhouse sink rather than a white.....thanks to GW, i found rmkitchen and loved the stainless!!!! as you said, i'm sure i will be happy with whatever we pick. My brain does sometimes feel "fried" by all of this and often you lose perspective! It is such a big, probably one-time expense that everything seems to be such a big decision. Thanks to GW, you get some good advice and realize it really only matters if you like it in the end! Thanks to all for some grounding insight!

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

To my eye on the sample colors the Oyster has a gray cast, and the pearl has a blue cast. You may want to avoid gray if your looking for light and airy. Trust your gut on this one!

• izzyce
    15 years ago

I actually think it is crucial to look at the colors next to your countertop/stone choice. I am doing white cabinets with white marble countertops... the questions were if I chose bright white cabinets did it look like a doctor's office? did it look like the whites were supposed to match and didn't? I decided on the creamier white (the exact color of mamadadapaige in fact) because it looks like I chose a color on purpose that didn't go with the countertops, and gives some definition to the marble.

I think the tones in your stone will really pull out the colors of your paint. I steered away from anything that gave the white paint a greenish cast - I am erring on the yellower side for paint. So definitely check that in combination with the light in your kitchen!

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

I totally agree with Mary in NC. We both have Divinity color Medallion cabinets. She really helped me pick out my creamy white. See the cabinet color in your kitchen and listen to your gut! The color I originally picked out looked tan in my kitchen just like Mary in NC said. What also helped me was to put the cabinet color next to a white piece of paper. To me, whatever "color" was in the cabinet color was easier to see. Hope that makes sense! Good luck. Can't wait to see what you pick.
    Barb