Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wikachick

Cabinets Installed, Ceiling Not Level...Help!!!

wikachick
15 years ago

Hi all,

We just got our cabinets installed, and the cabinet guy informed us that the ceiling is not level; in some spots it is off by an inch. We are using crown molding, and the cabinet guy says it will look crooked. The GC told us that he would "make it right," but apart from ripping out the ceiling, what can he do? It's already been drywalled and painted, and the ceiling lights are in. I'd hate to go medievel on the guy since he's been pretty wonderful otherwise, but I'm getting agita from this tsuris. Any suggestions, other than slashing my wrists (I've already thought of that), ;) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments (15)

• gglks
    15 years ago

Don't panic!!! This happened to a friend of mine. Her KD told her to to keep the cabinets level at the bottom on the wall cabinet and have the crown molding cut to fit the upper part of cabinets. If you look closely, you can see the crown molding isn't completely even but had she not pointed it out to me, I probably wouldn't have noticed. I do think if you are putting in a backsplash, you may notice those tiles not beening evenly lined up. There may be a better answer out there, but in case there isn't, my friend kitchen looks great!!!!!!

• pcjs
    15 years ago

You GC is right. We used a filler on top of the cabinets and the crown was floated at the ceiling and you can't tell and we have the most uneven ceilings around.

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

I wonder why your cabinet people didn't think of this before installing. How much is it off?

We assumed ours wasn't level when we ordered our cabinets so they made our uppers an extra 3" at the top (not usable space) so when the crown is on you can't see any gaps. This can be done with a matching piece for each cabinet separately. You probably can use 1" thick wood. It's just to keep a black gap from showing and is undetectable to people.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Ditto what others have said...our KD planned our crown molding as 3-pieces. The middle piece, "Stock-S", is what is modified to fit the space (also called "filler" by some). The other two pieces remain the same. Here's a pic of the design & then installed.

• pcjs
    15 years ago

LOL, Buehl - yup, that's the DIY name and I think what Kraftmaid called it.

Here's ours going in - if you look at the top left - the crown is going up - the filler piece is up and the last part of the crown by the window is not in yet. Our ceilings are far from even and that was done eyeing it and one can't tell at all.

*****************Right here *

• alku05
    15 years ago

Our ceilings are woefully sloped. Luckily, we planned the same filler/crown setup that buehl showed. The only difference is that our filler is mall and our crown is big.

The picture above is the closest look I have of my crown. See how the crown practically touched the door in the cabinet by the hood? Now slide your eys down and see that there is almost 1.75" of filler between the crown and door by the oven cabinet? All of the TKO folks here have been staring at my kitchen pics for months and haven't noticed it. No one will notice yours either.

• wikachick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone, I have put down the razor blade (for now, anyway). gglks mentioned the backsplash, though---I was planning to tile up to the ceiling and am freaked that my wonderful design will look crooked. The only saving grace is the vent hood is a chimney style that will be in the middle of the tile near the ceiling, plus it's only a 42 " space total, so perhaps the 18" on each side will be straight enough. If not, my GC will wish I'd never been born. ;)

Thanks again for all your help. I'll keep you posted on the final outcome.

Cheers.

• theresab1
    15 years ago

We had this problem, we have an old house 90+ years, and our gc basically put an extra layer of plaster on ceiling and leveled it out. We had crown moulding as well but my dh wouldn't go for it covering up the crookedness. So our ceiling was replastered to level it out (took our gc 1 week to do it!)

• Craig Latham
    3 years ago

P

• Craig Latham
    3 years ago

P

• Craig Latham
    3 years ago

Ppp

• Craig Latham
    3 years ago

Ppp