Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sadiebrooklyn

marble slab for backsplash

sadiebrooklyn
13 years ago

I keep seeing pictures of people with marble slab backsplashes behind their ranges. I am doing marble counters (carerra) and wondered whether to consider it for backsplash as well. I would think you would constantly be worried about stains and etching with it behind the burners.

then again, if I'm using it on the counters (though I was planning on brushed stainless for counters around the range) - then maybe it doesn't matter?

anyway - would be interested to see pics and read opinions

sadie

Comments (13)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

SEal it and it won't stain. Get honed and the etching won't be very noticeable. Then again, I think it depends on your tolerance level and expectations...as well as the look you are going for.

We had polished carrara subways and I am a slob of a cook. No etching, despite splatters of jam and tomato sauce pretty regularly.

• User
    13 years ago

Sadiebrooklyn, if you keep your plans for brushed stainless around the range, please please post your final photos?

That is what I am wanting to do on the cooking side of our galley kitchen in our Alabama cottage. I think it will be very serviceable.

I know marble is a lovely creature, but I also know that the way I cook causes a lot of splatters from grease to tomato sauce, and wok cooking atomizes a lot of grease and steam. So I don't want to be stressing out over keeping something clean looking. Bulletproof and maintenance free is my basic requirement for an ideal kitchen surface.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Hi Sadiebrooklyn, Thanks for posting this question about marble slab backsplashes. I had been curious as well about how functional they are. Plus, for my personal taste, marble counters plus marble backsplash is just too much marble for many of our simpler homes. I love marble and I hope to use it on at least some of my counters in my renovated kitchen; but I'm not going to use it on my backsplash because I'm not going for that kind of "luxe" look in my kitchen. (I don't think the kitchen in my simple 1920s foursquare should look like Versailles!) That said, marble is gorgeous and marble backsplashes looks great in many of the super fancy kitchens I've seen in design magazines and on GW.

• threeboys2love
    13 years ago

I have a slab of Calacatta Gold behind my stove. I LOVE it. I wanted to use marble somewhere in my kitchen and was too afraid to use it on the counters. I knew the staining and etching would bother me. That being said... I sealed mine behind the stove and seem to have no problems. Here are some pics:

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear rmkitchen, Thanks for posting your pictures. I've always loved your kitchen. The marble slab backsplash looks great in your fresh, contemporary update of vintage. It would look great in a very modern kitchen too.

• sadiebrooklyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rmkitchen - I can't tell from the pic - but is it carrera or calcutta?

This discussion has been super helpful. I've been moving away from stainless range back with shelf because of the comments about the shelf interfering with the vent and also the general comments about stainless being difficult to keep looking nice.

mocassinlanding: my kitchen probably won't be done until january (if I'm lucky) but you can see a pic of the stainless counters if you go to henrybuilt.com, click on "materials" on the side bar and it is the 5th picture in the series. At least in the photo it looks very dark (I like it). Until I get into the design phase with HB and see the samples in person I won't know for sure if that will be my choice!

Interesting paradox that the more elegant design solution (hate to say luxe) is also practical in terms of maintenance.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Brooke! It's sooo good to "see" you again, especially accompanied by photos of your gorgeous kitchen (one of my all time GW faves)! Puhleeze -- send me an email offine, why don't you? I've been dying to get in touch with you and don't have your email address. Thanks!

Sorry for the momentary hijack, Sadie. Although I have a marble backsplash, it's not a slab. It's a mosaic of Calacatta Gold. Still, I've had absolutely no problems with having white marble installed behind my range. BTW, I'm pretty much like Rmkitchen on the sealing thing. Mine was sealed when it was installed nearly 18 months ago and I haven't resealed it since. Even so, it's managed to hold up quite well through tomato sauce and fried chicken grease splatters and all manner of errant cooked food missiles. So far, it's still looking great just with an occasional wipe of soap and water or a household cleaning agent in a spray bottle.

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Totally agree with rmkitchen (and I've always had her kitchen in my inspiration file!). The backsplash makes everything EASY peasy lemon squeezy. Seriously, the clean up is just a breeze. I used the white granite and the other day I noticed I splashed oil, tomato sauce and something else rather gunky on it...and voila, wiped clean with just the counter cleaner. Tile would make me crazy trying to clean the grout of oil. I love my whole slab backsplash. And this is kind of a silly reason, but with all the posts labeled "What backsplash should I choose?", I was worried that I would be one them. I just couldn't deal with yet another crazy decision sicne I was doing a whole house remodel...lazy lazy I know, but it was one of my reasons.

Here is my granite:

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I'm so grateful for this thread!
    I have a marble mosaic backsplash with a wide slab frame around it behind the range.
    Martha, I'm glad to hear you're mosaic backsplash is still easy to clean after the honeymoon period. What shape mosaic did you do? I had a hard time finding inspiration pics when I was planning. I ended up with 3/4x3/4 squares in calacatta. I did eeny meeny miney moe between squares and mini brick.

I was concerned about having 'luxed out" my kitchen too much with the marble. I'm really glad you posted pics Rmkitchen! You have loads of marble but still managed to pull off "charming" and "cozy" in a beautiful and elegant way! I'm currently shooting for the same thing. I just can't pinpoint how it's done but can tell that yours is done well!

Sadiebrooklyn,
    Sounds like you should consider the marble as a backsplash option! I can't testify to the practicality or maintenance yet because I haven't moved in....
    Cooking is the only thing in my life I'm not sloppy or adventurous about so I had to go for it.

I've had progress since these pics were taken, kitchen might be finished this weekend.......
    {{!gwi}}

I tried to cozy it up with a few warmer elements and casual lighting. (I know, finished ones are more fun to look at, lol)
    {{gwi:1485506}}

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

Well, I think I just broke my computer from drooling on it because of all these insanely gorgeous kitchens!!! I have officially died and gone to heaven. I am saving all your photos in my "lust" folder ....

sadie -- our marble is called Calacatta Xtra.

I cannot tell you all what a delicious Friday night treat this is for me to see your kitchens! Thank You all for posting them. Love love love your kitchens!

xo

• chestnut3
    last year

Hi there. I’m resurrecting this old thread to ask a question about making the transition from the thicker marble or (perhaps quartzite, granite or quartz) behind the cooktop to the quarter inch tile on the rest of your walls. I have quartzite counters and a 36”x36” slab behind my cooktop. I am thinking of doing the 2.5“ x 8“ Cloe tiles (not installed yet) and I’m not sure how to match it up next to the backsplash behind my cooktop. If anyone has close up pictures I would love to see them!

• T Powell
    last year

That’s a great question, Chestnut3. I am at the 21 month mark of a major kitchen remodel and have had PLENTY of time to decide /change my mind /decide / change my mind… about the right combination of tile and or slab backsplash. My perimeter countertops will be soapstone on white cabinets and the island is Danby marble on dark blue cabinets. I currently have Formica “slab” behind my cooktop and really love the easy cleanup but was worried about putting marble in that space due to stain potential. I also am considering doing a soapstone slab but feel like that will make my kitchen too dark and heavy. I have only 2 upper cabinets that will come all the way to the countertop and flank the cook top so there will be a natural place to stop slab and not have your issue of tile right next to slab, but in other areas of the kitchen I will have tile next to slab. I will be anxious to read responses.