Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdhall8

My kitchen needs help!

kdhall8
9 years ago

We just installed new granite countertops & white subway tile backsplash. The wall color is pinedale shores & cabinets are sand beach but it doesn't seem cohesive. Any ideas or suggestions to pull everything together & make this kitchen look better would be much appreciated.

Comments (50)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

The wall color is making your cabinets look very yellow. I would definitely change it.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Maybe it's my monitor but your subway tile look very grey to me and seem to clash with the wall color and the cabinets.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Yeah, what color ARE your cabinets? They look almost pink on my screen. Someone else said yellow. There is definitely an issue with the cool wall/tile and the warm cabinet color going on.

Maybe try to get some of the big (10x10?) color cards from BM in some different colors you might consider for your paint and tape them up right next to your cabinets on the soffit area and see if you can find one that does work.

Or, maybe someone will have some photoshopping skills to do the same.

• kdhall8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. The cabinets are beige. I didn't take the picture in the best lighting.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Yeaahhh...the wall color and tile look great together, but neither look real good with your cabinets. Your best bet is to find a wall color that will draw together the cabs and tile.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

The white range and hood aren't working either. I thi k his is a case of change the wall paint, backsplash, appliaces, OR paint the cabinets.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Maybe a gray wall color or color more like the cabinets, but slightly darker, so your kitchen is gray, cream, and natural.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 21:21

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

If possible at all, I would change the stove to match the dishwasher. Your kitchen is really pretty, just a little tweak is all it needs. Painting the walls would be the least effort with the greatest return as well. I happen to like gray and cream together. It can work! A stainless stove to match the DW will help to play into that theme. Loving the inspiration photo above with the white backsplash and cream cabinets and stove. Pretty and soft. Lovely.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

nosoccermom -- do you know what color the cabinets are in your example?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I suspect you might be switching the range to stainless when the time comes, as the dw is ss. I was thinking a white or gray wall color too. There are some beautiful beige cabinet kitchens that use white as a backdrop. Love your cabinet color which looks beige to me. Is the bs white or gray?

Beautiful kitchen example, nosoccermom. Here's one using white to offset beige cabinetry.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Paint the wall above the cabinets the same color as the cabinets. If you hold your hand over the photo and block out that greenish paint, it looks just fine. IMHO it's the green paint that's mucking up the whole thing. Just too many different colors.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

nosoccermom's picture is the OP's kitchen! :o) OP says "Sand Beach" but does not give a brand.

• kdhall8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will eventually be changing the range & hood to stainless steel but I can't do everything at once. I definitely love the color gray. Do you think gray walls or gray cabinets would look best?!? The current color of the cabinets is sherwin Williams sand beach. Thanks for all the feedback!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

It would be far easier to paint the walls. Grey would be fine, even a blue or green but they all have to be the RIGHT shade. Too cool and you are right back where you started.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Thanks GH -- NSC posted two photos -- the OPs and another one below it.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I think arkansas_girl is right. Paint the walls either the color of the backsplash of the color of the cabinets. The blue, though a really pretty color, seems to be throwing things out of balance. Picking a gray or another "color-y" color will be tricky with the white/beige cool/warm thing you have going on. If you really want color it seems like it would be easier to introduce it through accessories.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I would match the backsplash for the wall color..and add the "fun" color with accesories..

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

nightowlrn said: "Thanks GH -- NSC posted two photos -- the OPs and another one below it."

Oops! Sorry! I can't tell you how many duh moments I have had already today. I should know better than to skip my coffee. :o)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

@night.
    No clue, but when I chip it, I get this:

At OP: I'd rather repaint the wall than paint the cabinets.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Maybe a really soft turquoise green for the wall, or the cabinet color or backsplash color.

{{!gwi}}

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Well, I'm a geek - I had to mess with this. I totally endorse painting the wall the same color as the cabinets. I think it's the only way you will get the white and cream not to fight. I tried coloring the green with every color-picker version from the crown's white, the ceiling's white, the backsplash areas and they all looked horrible. But picking the cabinet color, see below:

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Glad you did that, beauty, because I have been pondering why people think the wall color is the culprit. IMO, it doesn't change anything to change the wall color. I don't think there's any way to make the tile and the cabinets work together. Since the OP has gone to the expense of new tile and new granite, I think the only solution is to paint the cabinets white.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

That definitely looks better but I agree with may flowers that the cabinets and the tile just don't play nice together. Maybe try painting them the white of the crown molding. It's that whole cool colors/warm colors clashing thing.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

I like it with the wall color the same as cabinets. At least try it for awhile. with white cabs this kitchen will be sterile.

Accessorize with pretty greens, blue and soft oranges. I like this color scheme.

I would not go to the trouble to paint the cabs unless it's something that needs to be done or you want to do it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The cabs would be cute painted something like the wall color. Good color with black granite. Lots of ways you could go to make it a cute kitchen. I'd rather see that then trying to make it a trendy gray kitchen.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I agree that the cabinets don't match the back splash but I would not want to tackle that job of painting all that. I would at least start with the very simple solution of matching the paint to the cabinets. That photo of the kitchen that nosoccermom is very close, the kitchen with the black counters. As it is with the sage green top, it doesn't add to the kitchen, it really just looks like a green stripe up there.

I have to say that IMHO the cabinets would look, not cute but tacky painted the greenish color...sorry but I don't agree that it would look cute.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I think people are entirely too stuck on color trends. It is not necessary to paint the cabinets white. I would have opted for a creamier white for the backsplash but beige and white don't clash. Or is that a light gray? I'm not sure. I think it looks fine without the band of green at the top of the room, just not what people are used to seeing.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The tile look gray but it's white. Mixing warms and cools is tricky. There may be another wall that has the green, so I wouldn't assume it's just a random green stripe. The fridge wall could be entirely painted green.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I would guess there are green walls in the rest of the space and maybe an adjoining eating area, but I don't think it flows well into this area.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

I think the cabinet color is the odd man out. If you keep it, then painting the walls the same color seems the best solution. But overall, it seems the best solution is to change the cabinet color, unfortunately. I do think changing the cabinet color to one that works would transform the kitchen beautifully. Simply painting the wall the present cabinet color seems to suck all the life out of the kitchen and make it very bland and uninteresting.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

It's only bland if you happen to prefer other colors.

I'd rather redo the backsplash or revert to paint there than undertake painting the cabinets. That is a huge, time consuming job that sometimes results in a problematic finish.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It depends on whether that is the original finish. I assumed it wasn't, but maybe I've seen too many DIY cabinet paint jobs posted here. If it's factory finish, I wouldn't paint them. If they were recently repainted as part of the update, maybe they don't need much prep. They look really clean and fresh. She asked about painting them gray, so she's willing.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

TY NSM. GL OP!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I, personally, do not like the look of the cabinet color on the walls; I think it make the room look top-heavy.

However, a good solution might be to paint the walls the same color but a different shade, like half-formula, for example. Then you know the color will work with the cabs but there will be some contrast and softening.

I am also one who thinks that re-painting cabs would be the last choice of the three.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

I really like the wall color with the cabinets and countertops. If you block off the rest of the photo and just look at the color combo to the right of the range, where you can't see very much of the backsplash and the stark white of the range and hood, it looks fine to me. I think it is the backsplash and range/hood that is throwing things off. On my monitor, the backsplash looks like it is a cool light gray and the cabinets are a warm beige, hard to make those different undertones play nice together. The beige and blue-green combo gives off a beachy sand and sea vibe that I really like, but the cool backsplash just isn't working with the other elements as it is. If the backsplash is there to stay, I would do as Greenhaven suggests and go with a lighter shade of the cabinets on the walls for a tone on tone effect. It will feel much more cohesive when you are able to switch out the stark white range and hood.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, not exactly the same colors the cabinets, but either lighter or even darker.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I agree with some of the posts suggesting painting the walls a lighter version of the cabinet color. Perhaps color match the cabinet color and then lighten it to creamy off white. It will look nice!

Painting the cabinets would be my last choice. I really like the color they are already - just not so much with the current wall color.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Here's another kitchen with creamy cabinets and white/gray counters and BS.

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Brooklyn Photographers Rikki Snyder

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Brooklyn Photographers Rikki Snyder

There are at least 10 questions identifying the wall color -- and no answer. Incidentally, I find it annoying when there's a whole article and then no responses to the questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: [kitchen and house in NJ[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/my-houzz-relaxed-classic-and-collected-in-new-jersey-stsetivw-vs~25713750)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Sorry, couldn't find my post amidst all the spam.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 10:52

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I think the least work approach would be to find a color in the same family as the cabinets. The photoshopped one above is not the right shade, but it gives an idea. I think it would help to bring in some of the blues and greens with some accessories -- touches of color on the counter (this is when you get to say, "But I really NEED the auqa Kitchenaid mixer to pull this kitchen together and it FAR less money than painting all the cabinets or replacing the backsplash." Heehee).

Second approach would be to redo the tile. Sorry, but I think it's the culprit in my book. If you had grey or green glass tile that softly echoed the wall color, you might just be waiting to replace that range and hood.

Painting the cabinets white would be the most work and a significant expense. Lots more hours and plenty of materials even to do them yourself. You might be able to do it for less money than the tile if you DIY paint and not the tile, but it will take a month or two of weekends -- maybe more depending on your schedule.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I would paint the soffit almost the exact color of the cabinets and get a stainless steel stove.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

The photoshopped photo with the neutral paint made all the difference to me! I can visualize it the perfect neutral white and it would be fabulous! Almost like the picture no soccer mom posted. LOVE that. It's clean and pretty and it reminds me of kitchens in France but of course with colorful accessories. Please don't paint the cabinets, they're perfect just the way they are. They don't need it and it would be a PITA. JIMOâ¦

Here's another pretty kitchen with similar colors on the right side of the room at least:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Basking Ridge General Contractors Scandic Builders, Inc.

This post was edited by gr8day on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 22:12

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

If you decide to not do anything, at least try and bring the color of the wall into some decor in that stark undecorated kitchen. There isn't even that color in the hand towels. It really needs some personality, right now it looks like you just moved in.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

gr8day - the photo you posted is the first kitchen I've seen with 3 different colors of cabinetry. It's different...maybe a bit much for me.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i'd switch the range and hood and match the backsplash to the cabs. the three different whites/offwhites/beiges are making things weird.

• homebuyer23
    9 years ago

This is a pathetic mock up and I am NOT one of the usual advice givers here, but this thread was interesting to me and I was bored tonight so I just played with this so fwiw...what about a darker taupe paint color & the aqua accessories?

Its extremely hard to find just the right shade of it, but I find that a greigey taupe can sometimes work to blend cools and warms. And I think the white range is whats really distracting, luckily the OP plans to replace it eventually. I just copied the color of the DW to color over the white range...

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I think beautybutdebtfree's mockup of painting the wall the same as the cabinets looks great and solves the problem. The big blue stripe at the top is not connecting with the other finishes.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I think a greige like that would look good but would go lighter so the cabinets aren't sandwiched in. The area also looks top heavy with a darker color.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree with snookums and fesity. Like beautybutdebtfree's mock-up but would go a little bit lighter or slightly darker. But it looks like the OP has jumped ship.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

As someone suggested above, it would be beautiful with the walls nearly the same as the cabinets and then do the accents in the beautiful wall color. I love how that looks in this kitchen! Have you made any decisions? The white backsplash seems to be quite popular with the off white cabinets in all my journeys through photos.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Toronto Kitchen & Bath Designers Bloomsbury Kitchens and Fine Cabinetry