Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I provide my own wood for cabinets?

Posted by LMRinc (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 17:35

In the process of construction, we will unfortunately have to cut down at least 4 very large mature maple trees and 1 oak. I want to keep them in the home and not have them turned into fire wood.

I'm wondering if having them made into cabinets or flooring would be sky high in price or ok?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I provide my own wood for cabinets?

Yes, it can be done. Our neighbor did it (no idea what they paid). She used a custom cabinet maker.

o

It's probably more trouble than it's worth, although it certainly can be done. Commercial mills generally won't touch urban trees due to the risk of embedded metal (nails, bullets, etc). You'd need to find somebody to cut and clean the trees (i.e. trim off all the branches), then somebody with a portable milling machine - I forget what the name is of the most common type. Basically it turns a tree trunk into lumber.

Then you'd have to get your custom cabinetmaker to transport and kiln dry the boards. Probably would take a couple months, I think. After all that you can get it milled up into cabinets.

o

There is a brand of portable bandsaw mill called "Woodmiser" used for cutting up yard trees into slabs or timbers.
Casey

o

Our local community college has an urban forestry project that salvages urban trees for lumber. The interesting part for someone like you is this:

"While there is some custom milling for special orders, generally the logs are cut into 4 quarter and 8 quarter slabs. These slabs are stored until they are placed in kilns to be dried. Once dried, in about four weeks, the wood is made available to students...

You can read about it at the link. I wonder if there is something similar in your area?

Here is a link that might be useful: URBAN FORESTRY AT PALOMAR COLLEGE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here