Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Sources for cream color crackle subway tile?

sayde
14 years ago

Have gotten a few quotes from local tile place but would welcome suggestions where to shop

Walker Zanger Gramercy Park Bone China -- lovely handmade 2 x 6 tile. Quote was $27.80 SF! Any suggestions where to shop this?

Essenze Craquelle Magnolia and Rixi Crema -- two nice 3 x 5 tiles -- one crackled and one a very interesting veined-texture in the glaze. About $10 - $15 SF. These are machine made and very nice. If only I hadn't already seen the Walker Zanger!

Johnson Studio Collection makes a crackle subway tile. I used this in a bathroom in the biscuit but the color won't work in the kitchen. I think they were between $8 and 9SF. Great tile if you want white or one of the colors they offer.

Meredith is out of business -- could not have afforded in any case . . .

Still looking . . . .may broaden to non-crackle tile with a nice flat glaze.

If anyone has any guidance on the Walker Zanger, would love to hear. . . .

Comments (12)

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Did you look at Ann Sacks? Their Capriccio line is very affordable. I was also going to suggest the Grazia Essenze and Rixi--- but I believe they are actually 2.5 x 5. At least the ones I saw were.

I think I am getting Walker Zanger SoHo 2 x 8s in a gloss glaze here. I badly wanted 2 x 6s but they are all over $20/sf. The WZ 2 x 8s are under $10...

• prill
    14 years ago

i got some samples of Emser Cape Cod series. They have a pretty cream color crackle. I think I was quoted about $13.00/sq ft. No one around here carries Emser (No. East) so I had to call No. Caroline wholesaler to get the samples. Check out emser.com

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Horus Art makes a wonderful cream color crackle subway tile. I used the white, but it also came in cream.

• sue36
    14 years ago

Prill,
    Do you know the name and number of the Emser wholesaler you called? I was interested in the Emser also. Thanks.

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

I like the Grazia Rixi Cream Crackles but they are 2.5" x5" but are reasonably priced. I was quoted about $12.50/sq ft.

• prill
    14 years ago

Sue36 - if you to to the Emser.com website and click on locations, it gives you a map of all the stores. I called Charlotte NC (figured it was closest to Mass.) and talked to Mike. He was really nice. The number is 704 504 5288. He also told me I could order right through him even though they are wholesalers. The samples I got are really beautiful.

• sayde
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the information! Of course you're right -- the Rixi and Essenze are 2.5 x 5.

• rockafel
    14 years ago

www.motawi.com Motawi Tile works makes beautiful tiles in a variety of solid colors (including a crackle cream) and almost any size you can dream of. On their website, look for 'field' tiles for the solids.

They also specialize in arts and crafts accent tiles which really make an impact.

Here is a link that might be useful: Motawi Tile Works in Ann Arbor Michigan

• tzmaryg
    14 years ago

I also used Horus Arts white which I bought from my local decorating place. I don't recall the exact price for the field tile, but I do recall that it compared very favorably with not as atractive crackle tile from larger stores. The other issue was the design and proportions of the matching trim pieces. They fit my overall design much better than anything else. But THEY were expensive. I'm delighted with the result. That particular splurge was worth it.

• debs3
    14 years ago

I am not sure about the cost, but Pratt & Larson has a nice selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pratt & Larson Ceramics

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Check out Seaside ceramic subway(it's 2.5 x 5) At Anchor Bay Tile they are $15 a sq. ft. Look at the Cotton color.

{{!gwi}}

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I shopped those to death three years ago, and couldn't find anything as pretty as the Walker Zanger Gramercy Park Bone China (with the hand-painted trim, no less). So I 'bit the bullet' and paid the price, and still just LOVE that tile. It was my one real kitchen splurge.

Of course, they didn't have Arizona Tile in my neighborhood then. (Or the Emser Cape Cod.) Arizona has a few really pretty colors of crackle subways (including a bone) at a very reasonable price point -- like $6-$8/SF. No - they're not as breath-takingly lovely as the WZ, but at some point, the price difference does factor in.