Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cakelly1226

Finally Finished Pic- Warm wood and Cool Cream Galley Kitchen

cakelly1226
11 years ago

It has been a wild journey but other than a curtain over the kitchen sink, a cover for our banquette cushion and blinds that are on order for the eating area, this kitchen is DONE! Thankfully all went very smoothly, even our grout issue was resolved without much fuss. The only vendor I would never do business with again was our tile store but since our kitchen and both bathrooms are done, I guess I would not go there again anyway!

I don't have all the details since I am not sure of things like the brand of under cabinet lights my GC used(they are a strip with tiny little LED lights) and have no idea who made my faucet and sink- think its Essence??? But I will try to give up as much information as I can. I truly cannot tell you how much I learned on this forum and just wish I found you guys BEFORE I bought my cabs. I probably would have gone custom or at least seen if it was possible. But all in all, I am really happy with the turnout. It is so functional and easy to use which is really all that matters to me!

Cabinets- Diamond- Full Overlay in Cherry with Cattail finish from the Kitchenstore in Culver City(great resource- the KD Jim is very creative)

Countertops- Colonial Cream

Backsplash- Grazia Melenge Butter Blend

Ovens, Cooktop and Dishwasher- GE CAFE

Microhood- GE Profile

Beverage Fridge- GE

Fridge- Kitchen Aid French Door- ADORE!

I got a great friends and family deal on my appliances through GE. I wouldn't have been able to get all new ones had I did not get this deal so that is why so many are GE. I have to say I love all the appliances, especially the ovens. But I wouldn't budge on the fridge however!

Thanks again for all the help when I was freaking out about my backsplash- who knew grout could be such a game changer. I love my newly fixed grout and it makes such a difference.

temporary Kitchen

Isn't she lovely! I really hate orange now!

Cabs are just waiting for the next earthquake to come off the walls!

Empty Useless Space

Notice the fridge leaves me with about a foot of space to cook? So annoying

Useless no more! Now I can have my wall of fun stuff!

Hated the sound of plastic as I walked by every day:(

AHHH- finally done- but wait, why is that grout all different colors? I hate my backsplash! ICK!

Grout looks awful...

YEAH IT'S FIXED!

Looking down the galley

Empty space NO MORE! Pantry, double ovens and fridge- my dream!

Full run of sink wall

Sink view from hallway

Still hate how the light is not centered:(

Cooktop with Micro Hood- works surprisingly well!

Brighter view!

View of breakfast bar next to eat in area- Forced me to redo the living room next to it since that looked shabby- It never ends!

Different View

Breakfast bar tile

Our clean grout and lucky pig- one of only four things allowed on the counter!

I hope you enjoyed this picture overload!!!! thanks again for all the support and help!

Comments (52)

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! Look at aaaaalllll that counter space now! Lovely kitchen, I can see why you are so happy with how thing turned out!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Wow, what a difference grout can make! Your b/s is gorgeous! Love how both warm and bright your kitchen is, a nice mix. I love my KA side-by-side but wish I'd gotten a french door. Oh well. Isn't it nice to have your kitchen back, where it becomes a supporting character in your life, rather than the diva?

• kellyp123
    11 years ago

I love your galley! It is so warm, pretty and functional.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Congrats it looks terrific! What a difference :) Love how your backsplash turned out, that tile is beautiful.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I love galley kitchens. The cabs look great and your backsplash is beautiful with the granite. I can see why you are so very happy!!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Finally! Enjoy your beautiful kitchen:)

• hags00
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, I love everything, what a fabulous update.

Question - what is your ceiling height, what size uppers do you have? Curious how far you have from the crown to the ceiling.

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Localeater- the door style was called Shilo :)
    Bellsmom, thirdkitchenremodel, linelle, oldbat2be, remodelfla- thank you so much for your kind comments:)
    ellendi- thank you again for suggesting ceramic tile for my backsplash- I was so hung up on glass that I couldn't see another solution! Babuska_cat- thank you for the idea and letting me steal your tile:)
    hags00- I have no idea what size uppers I have(isn't that awful!)I think they are 36 inches without the molding. From crown to the ceiling, it's only about 3 inches. I wish we thought to do an extra crown to have it go to the ceiling! My GC did not suggest it at all, nor did our kitchen designer (he really encouraged us to not worry that they didn't extend to the ceiling and since we had cabs that went to ceiling before and kept losing stuff in the upper part the cabs, I didn't think to question it). I also think that since we have such an old house(that is affected by settling and earthquakes) that he didn't want to deal with getting the crown level on the ceiling. I actually like the way it looks but wish we didn't have to deal with dusting on the gap!
    Thanks again for taking the time to comment:)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow!
    That tile looks almost faceted. It's beautiful and I didn't even notice the grout, which means it's perfect!.

You've done a beautiful job. It's a whole 'nother space.
    Can't imagine the ugly duckling really ever existed now. ;)

Yeah!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow!
    That tile looks almost faceted. It's beautiful and I didn't even notice the grout, which means it's perfect!.

You've done a beautiful job. It's a whole 'nother space.
    Can't imagine the ugly duckling really ever existed now. ;)

Yeah!

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christine- that was so wonderful to hear; especially from someone like you! I really trust your opinion:) I adore the tile now-after 7 hrs of labor by the poor tile guy!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Congratulations CKGM, this has been a long haul and it all looks so beautiful!

You were not exaggerating when you said the new grout helped the backsplash come alive and pull it all together. The backsplash, counters and cabs look like one big happy family.

Hope you enjoy your space for many years to come!

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

I like how you banked up the appliances on the one side and the other side is thus free of those items-nice benefit for the space visually.Some galley kitchens aren't as long as yours and can't quite accomplish that...you did a great job with the aesthetics.

• ratrem
    11 years ago

Gorgeous space, so warm and looks so much more functional, enjoy!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Really lovely! The granite and BS are great together, and both suit the warm cabs. Good job, congrats!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Turned out beautifully!

So happy your grout issue was resolved! *whew*

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

CK
    I am so excited to see your kitchen!
    Long work week but want to see on computer!
    Congrats!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I just love the warm wood kitchens, and this is a particularly beautiful one. The breakfast bar looks fabulous and the cutouts keep everything so open. Lovely backsplash, it goes so nicely with your counters. Great job, and enjoy your gorgeous new space!

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks AnnaA, Herbflavor, Ratrem, Ginny20, cat_mom, and Taggie- your comments really make me smile. A2- the pics are kind of small- still trying to figure the exact size to post so they aren't so big:) There are more pics in the album if you want to see:)

• deedles
    11 years ago

Beautiful reno! What a difference and I'm a little jealous of your nice long sink counter...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Very nice!
    Well done!
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come...

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Oh my, look at all your counter space! FAB! Your cabinets are beautiful, and your backsplash looks wonderful! Great job!

Congratulations and happy cooking!

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

what a beautiful kitchen! I love it!!!

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deddles, AnnieDeighnaugh, Shelayne, Noellabelle- thanks so much for the very kind comments:) I know that my kitchen is much more simple than the gorgeous ones I have seen on here so I really appreciate them!

• sowega
    11 years ago

Hi, could you share more on the beverage fridge? What model type, and is it built in or slide-in? We are considering one with similar look. Trying to decide if we get the less expensive slide-in, or pay more for the built-in look.

I assume you intend to use it for quick drinks, kids juice boxes, etc... versus walking all the way to fridge? Thanks, and congrats on your accomplishment. I love a good galley kitchen, so efficient.

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sowega- it is from GE, the top Profile model. It was a slide in with the cabs built around it. It was not expensive and works great. We use it for just what you described- quick beverage grabs, snacks the kids can reach themselves and our modest white wine collection. It has two roll out wine racks on the bottom. I read reviews that it didn't keep beverages cold enough but it has been plenty cold and not even set on the lowest setting. It's only been a few months but we are really happy with it.

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Wow beautiful kitchen! LOVE how you used the space, the placement of your appliances, it looks fantastic.

What a difference! Enjoy Enjoy!

Did you mention your wall color? I love it.

Congrats, it's beautiful.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I followed you backsplash posts and am glad to see that your issues were resolved. Your kitchen turned out great. I am partial to stained wood cabinetry and yours is beautiful. You were wise to fill in that empty space you had. You have merged form and function very nicely. I hope you have many years of good times and good food in your lovely kitchen.

• library_girl
    11 years ago

Lovely...absolutely lovely!!! What a transformation - I'm usually not a fan of stained cabinets but your cherry cabinets are beautiful..just beautiful! And your backsplash is unbelievable - I would never have guessed you had any issues with it. The breakfast bar looks like it would be super handy, especially for the cute little blonde in the first picture. The sink run of countertop really gives the kitchen an open feeling - more so than before, yet it appears you have practically doubled your storage and ended up with 2 ovens!

Thank you for sharing all of your experiences here!

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susied3- it's actually Behr paint( me and my BIL painter are new fans) but color matched from BM Shaker Beige. Thanks so much!
    Bagergal-thank you for helping me through my backsplash saga! I will always remember you as one of those who talked me off the ledge so to speak;) I know it hard to show in pictures but it was a big change when they fixed it.
    Library_girl- thank you- those were some really nice comments on my modest galley. I can't tell you how much more open it feels to me. I used to get claustrophobic cooking in between my old oven and fridge. It's heaven now!

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump for Fun2Learn :)

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Thank you for letting us share in the beauty, fun and excitement of your new kitchen. Now you get to ''play house'', arranging drawers, petting surfaces, and forgetting where the heck you stored your favorite thingamajig.
    Congratulations. It is beautiful.
    Sandra

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sandra- that was such a sweet post. Thank you for all the kind words. They really made me smile.
    It has been super fun figuring out where it all goes!

• mjher1
    11 years ago

I love how the cabinet colour, counter and backsplash look together! So many kitchens are painted these days and I love the stained wood. Great job!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

LOVE it! The Colonial Cream looks yummy with the backsplash and warm wood. The little piggie is sweet, but your daughter is adorably sweet! Congratulations on a dream realized! Enjoy your kitchen and cool new breakfast bar.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

It looks great! I know you will enjoy it!

Just curious, what is the length of the bar where the 2 barstools are?

Thanks for sharing your lovely kitchen!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I love it too! It's so open and inviting. I had a pang of regret when I saw how great your bar area looks and I am not putting one in. How fun to have an all new kitchen and so much counter space. I wouldn't even have noticed the light fixture if you hadn't pointed it out.

• happy2learn
    11 years ago

Wow--what an improvement! Your kitchen looks beautiful and very high end. And your kitchen seems huge now! and the colors are great. I love the tile. I may call your tile shop and see if they can send me a few samples, since supposedly no one on the east coast carries that particular line in stock. Your granite is so similar to mine that I think this tile will look good with my granite, too! Thanks again for bumping it up for me to find easily.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

HI, CK...you've gone and passed me with that gorgeous backsplash. A great galley kitchen! A nice palette with all your colors together.

btw I know gardenweb requests us to shrink the pictures, and I shrank them on my nearly done reveal. But honestly, I like looking at them big! I was glad I could click on yours and see them big on the flicker account.

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mjher1, sanjuangirl- thanks so much! I really appreciate your comments:)
    BlackChamois- it's pretty short, only 56 inches but it works well for the kids and guests to hang out when I am cooking. I wish I added an overhang on the other side too but thought it interrupted the entrance flow.

MartiA8- I have a million regrets too:( but in the end we have great new spaces to enjoy:) thanks for saying you didn't notice the light- it drives me crazy. Why I didn't notice and have them center it is beyond me!

Fun2learn- I am sure you can get it shipped to you but it may be expensive. I know A2Gemini was looking into that tile and she is in the middle of the country. There are a lot of other cool ceramics with variation that I would love instead of mine as well so don't give up the hunt just yet:)

Colorfast- thanks for your comments- are you still ABB? Funny you say that about the pics- they show as small on my monitor so I hope I didn't overload everyone with pics AND post too large as well:( I followed the guideline for posting pics(went with the recommended size) so I am surprised they come across as large? Anyhoo, glad you like the kitchen!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

CKGM
    Wow - you must have thought I abandoned you! I was so busy at work(73 hours that week and I am salary :-( and didn't have access except via phone (I did have a mini comment above) I looked on my phone but somehow missed getting back to you on this lovely and inspirational kitchen.

Loving it - I love your backsplash choice and grout now match very nicely with your counter. Your galley is going to be very functional - and you managed to build in a feature that I could not pull off - the little bar at the end of the kitchen with 2 stools.

I am only allowing a few items on the counter - DH gets his coffee machine and grinder. We share the paper towels, and I have the banana holder and fruit/veggie double basket - unless I can find a better place for it - the pantry is too warm as the pipes go through the wall.

When I finally post my pictures - we have more in common that just Grazia tile - we also have a garden window!!

What is your wall color - it looks similar to ours!!

And as you know, I am finally out of the ABB club!!

A bit of a hijack
    Fun2learn - there are several places on the east coast that carry the Grazia tile - I did find it at Malsnee Tile near Reading PA (might have a Leesport address but essentially Reading) - Best Tile has numerous shops in the east coast but turned out to be cheaper to ship from Tile-Shop.com in California than from the East coast. I worked out a plan to have it delivered to the cabinet store, so shipping was much less.- I worked with Nelson (not TileShop.com)

Nelson Chow
    Tileshop, Inc.
    510-525-4312

Here is the info on Best Tile
    Laura Breindel

Showroom Manager
    Best Tile Syracuse
    315-437-1606 ext. 211

And Malsnee Tlle information- I worked with Rebecca and Jessica
    1106 Stinson Drive Leesport, PA 19533
    (610) 916-7621

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Congrats CKGM,
    Magnifico! Many years of enjoyment!
    Love the new look!

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks A2 for not only the reassurance(you must know I have been totally stressing the breakfast bar and wishing I stuck to my guns on the countertop height bar I wanted) but also for being a true GW friend. I really enjoyed going through this process with you and finding someone who works just as many hours as I do as a salaried employee. Thanks for posting that info for fun2learn too!
    Go_figure01- thanks so much for the kind comments:)

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OH A2- the color is BM Shaker Beige colored matched to Behr paint.

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

CKGM - must've missed this during a bit of a GW hiatus over the summer. Glad it was bumped. What a huge improvement! The fridge directly across from the oven would've had me cursing. And I'm not prone to cursing!

I love the warmth and calm exuded from your kitchen. I really like the cherry cabs and and the colour variation in the backsplash tile. Just lovely.

Enjoy!

• mamasheshe
    11 years ago

BEEEYOUTEEEFULL!!!! Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen!

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awww thanks mmhmmgood and mamasheshe- I really appreciate it! Mmhmmgood- I already commented but I adore your kitchen so I really take your comments to heart!

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

Your daughter is adorable! Wow...a beautiful kitchen transformation! Enjoy, everything looks beautiful!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

CKGM- you were such a support for me - as I was just behind you on each step and learned from you. Enjoy that lovely kitchen - now I have to figure out whose kitchen was similar but used 6x6 tiles in the same pattern as mine....
    Glad I kept the email addresses!

• cakelly1226
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ilene-84- thank you so much for the kind comments about my DD and my kitchen too! She starts kindergarten in two days:( time flies!
    A2- you are permenantly in my email account! Thank you again and I know what kitchen you mean. Now I have to find it!!!!