Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishymom

Backsplash finished, finally!

fishymom
9 years ago

I finally got my backsplash finished this weekend! After a last minute change from staggered to stacked and much deliberation regarding a rail mount storage system for the hood wall, I finally decided against the rail. And then there was the dilemma of what to do inside the frame. My husband wanted to use a glass, stone and metal mosaic, but I didn't like the way it looked with the color of the hood, gave it a greenish cast. We finally agreed to use the same tile in a herringbone pattern and I am quite happy with it. I like the clean look of the single color tile and the framed herringbone keeps it from being too boring. My husband is just happy to be done with this renovation! Now I just need him to frame out the face of my DIY spice rack. I couldn't find one I liked that fit my space, so I stacked 3 utensil organizers, worked like a charm!

Comments (19)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

oooh I like it..the simple detail is spot on!

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

I love that your range doesn't have a back part that comes up and interferes with the look of the backsplash.

What model is it?

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I love your design. I hadn't considered stacked for my similar tile. It looks really nice.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's very pretty.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Congratulations!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Love it! Simple but sophisticated!
    What is the actual tile?
    Welcome to the ABB alumni club

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Very cool. Love how you placed the tiles and then the inset design.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

It looks great!!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Great decision not to go with stone, glass, metal mosaic. This looks clean and sophisticated!

• User
    9 years ago

I don't stop in here much but tonight must be my lucky night! Your spice rack!! I've tried to find something for 3 years! Now I will try your idea and see if it works for me. What exactly did you use?

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Oh it looks just beautiful! The paint around the hood looks great, too. Was it you who was debating tile over paint?

The spice rack was very clever!

I, too, envy the no-splash on the stove. I have found that the only ones that don't have them are gas ranges or slide-ins. But maybe this is an induction?

• romy718
    9 years ago

I've followed along in your backsplash hunt & I love what you have chosen!
    Congratulations, it looks fabulous & really compliments the hood.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all, really appreciate your kind words!

MareLuce, the range is a Frigidaire Progessional Slide-in Range. I love the look of it, but I am not thrilled with the cooking surface, it is much harder to keep clean than my Thermador cooktop was. Greenhaven, it is not induction, missed the mark on that one!

A2gemini, the subway tile is From Daltile, the color is Bone. The frame is polished travertine.

Lov_mkitchen, the spice rack is three 6" x 15" bamboo organizers I got from World Market. I also got the bottles there and cut the vinyl labels myself. I used a hot glue to glue the trays together and my husband is making a frame for the front as well as lips for shelves. As it is, it is not very stable, so it needs a wider base. Other than that, I love it! It holds 24 of my most often used spices with enough room to get them in and out easily. In this close-up photo, I have the jars turned to the side because I moved it to the big counter so my husband could take measurements, normally the names are in the front. I looked for a spice rack for 6 months before finally giving up!

Spice Jars
    http://www.worldmarket.com/product/spice-jars-with-red-ceramic-lids-sets-of-6.do?&refType=&from=Search

Here is a link that might be useful: World Market Bamboo Tray

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks, fishymom. I wonder if gluing a slightly larger piece of balsa or something such to the bottom would stabilize it?? I like those spice jars a lot! This DYI could be more expensive than buying a complete spice rack with spices!

But now that my brain has kicked in, I might be able to pick up a small drawer somewhere and put some dividers in it. Then buying the bottles wouldn't be so much. I did consider old treadle sewing machine drawers once but those are $10 each. I'm so fickle I don't want to spend anything so that when I change my "décor" and pack it away, it's no big loss.

• wakefield52
    9 years ago

We are adding a first floor bedroom, closet--huge--bathroom onto our home. In addition we will be "gutting" the powder room on the first floor and "gutting" the kitchen and pushing out part of the kitchen to make a circular 8 foot addition with 5 5 foot windows. Right now we are trying to decide on the cabinets for the kitchen and the appliances. We are going with white MDF because I understand they will not "crack" because they are one molded piece. We were going with Plain and Fancy but now understand Omega Embasy has the same thing and that it is $4000 less than the Plain and Fancy. Please help with suggestions as we have to order them shortly if we go with the Plain and Fancy which is a 12 order time. Omega is 6 weeks. I am brand new to the forum so not sure if I should go to another place for appliance info. Thanks in advance for any and all help

• justmakeit
    9 years ago

Hi, wakefield52--

I think you'll get more responses if you start a new thread with this instead of posting it as a comment in fishymom's thread. Good luck!

fishymom -- I really like the simple elegance of your tile. The herringbone pattern picks up some of the shape of the decorative detail on the hood. Really nice! Clever spice rack too -- you're going to have lots of people copying that idea, I bet!

• fishymom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lov_mkitchen, a drawer is a great idea, never thought of that! Maybe a Habitat Restore would have something that would work. I looked at ready made frames today, but they were too wide, I only have 20 inches under the cabinet. I was trying to save my husband the trouble, but looks like it is still on his honey-do list!

• User
    9 years ago

I presume you looked at picture frames. Is there any way to put an 18 inch by inch and a half width around it? Those frames that come in pieces at Hobby Lobby? I've looked at them before but they ain't cheap! Could you fudge the height so it would fit under. If it creates a lip around the boxes, it would still work but you might be catching the bottles every time you got them out.

Could you glue strips of wood around the front? Not mitered, just the goal post kind.

I'm watching Habitat for drawers anyway. I got a wild hair to get rid of my cookbook shelf and put drawer/s there. I use a note book and one cook book. I don't need a whole shelf full. The drawers that match my cabinets would be outrageous in price so I got over that idea the day I priced them! Now I think maybe matching doors and roll out shelves inside. Have to get a price. I did think about baskets for about half an hour before I didn't like that idea any more. Maybe just the doors and baskets inside where I wouldn't see them. They aren't in direct view from any direction but I did want the door fronts to be in the same color family as the doors above them.