Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleepytime

Allwood cabinets sold by Costco?

I am now working with a KD at Costco allwood cabinets. Costco is reliable but what about allwood cabinets. They design and colors are limited but the specifications such as no particleboard and thickness of parts are the same as other cabinet mfrs. The design team is good. Yet I cannot go into a showroom and just can order doors to investigate the look. I was told that in semi custom all things being equal they are all the same except for dodads and fillers needed. Anyone have experience with above.

Comments (15)

• doraville
    13 years ago

I considered going that route but didn't. I ordered a couple of doors and the colors weren't quite what I wanted. I kept the doors in the trunk of my car for awhile as I looked at countertop, tile etc. I noticed the finish did not suffer that abuse as well as the kraftmaid and armstrong doors. You might want to check out Armstrong as well. Those are competitive in price and have won some JD Power consumer awards. Another cheaper option is the lower end Diamond cabinets at Lowe's. On the other hand, you may be perfectly satisfied with Allwood.

• petepie1
    13 years ago

My costco has Schrock cabinets. Are those the same as the allwood?

• PRO
    Interior imagination
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really do not know if they are Schrock, but the one I am talking about is online. Is Schrock cabinets online or are they in the Costco Warehouse.

• elz_kitchen
    13 years ago

Here's a link to some reviews about Allwood cabinets. They're all over the place, from an absolutely perfect experience to six replacements and still not happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allwood cabinet reviews

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

Allwood - looking at their site.. does anyone know if their design service is free? I tried to use their design your own software and it really stinks!!

• petepie1
    13 years ago

The schrock ones are in the display at my Costco. I have no idea if the prices are good or not -- I have Schrock and then they popped up at Costco about a month after I placed my cabinet order. I did not have the stomach to compare pricing :) Ignorance is bliss!

• PRO
    Interior imagination
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI: The one nice thing about Costco is that their design service is free and wow are they good. I work with Jonna who is an interior designer and kitchen designer, really nice person. I heard that if you have a place to store them one can look them over in advance, but who is to tell if there is a glitch. But I heard they are the good ole Costco customer service.

• kompy
    13 years ago

I've read they're finished in China and assembled in the USA. And the website says "Built in the USA...to last"! That is misleading to me. On principle alone, I would not consider this cabinet line.

I have a similar line of cabinets that are super inexpensive and finished in China. I am up front with my customers about them being finished in China...that is, afterall, why they are so cheap. Most of my clients pass on them. They are what they are...inexpensive cabinets with a mediocre finish so don't expect perfection. If you flip houses, are a builder or plan to sell soon....then maybe.

When I get back to the office tomorrow, I am going to comparison price a bit.

• PRO
    Interior imagination
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kompy:
    I was thiking about that. I noticed the downfall, besides that they can fall apart in the future, is the finish. I saw Decora cabinets and they were maple and I know maple does not finish well in a dark color, yet they were nice.
    We do not have millions and it is our hard earned money. Why chintz on something that will be premanent fixtures.
    You can change a floor, appliances, wallpaper, paint, fixtures, but what are you going to do rip your cabinets out and redecorate and rebuild. I think I will save money in other areas.Thank you for you expert opinion.

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

You had me at China. I'll pass too. Thanks!

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

I recently saw an ad for RTA cabinets made in China. The ad read "Assembled in the USA". DUH!

• cabinetpro
    13 years ago

If you're on a tight budget, I wouldn't worry about plywood construction at all. The furniture board will hold up just fine for the life of your cabinets, and you will never know the difference. The important thing is to buy American. We've been making cabinets a lot longer than the Chinese and we're much better at it. Your budget should go toward doorstyle, finish, and design. Get a name brand like, Kraftmaid, Schrock, Decora, etc. whatever fits your budget. They should have Blum Hardware and at the very minimum a 10 year warranty. Once you pick out a name brand, have it quoted exactly the same at 3 or 4 different places, and go with the designer you feel best about. (I'm sure he or she will match the best price you get in this economy). We all need your business. Good Luck!

• srlmjm
    12 years ago

DO NOT buy from All Wood Cabinets. It seems there's a bit of a "bait and switch" going on. Their website says they ship in 10 days. We placed an order on 2/25/12 for 5 cabinets. We received an email from AWC on 2/29/12 saying that our order would be delayed and would ship on 3/27/12. We agreed to wait. On 3/22/12, we received another email from AWC saying our order was again delayed and would not ship until 4/23/12. I cancelled the order.
    As a manufacturing company, they know exactly how many units they can produce per day and how many orders they can fulfill per day. Advertising they ship in 10 days but, in reality, shipping in two months, is dishonest and misleading. If they are dishonest at the ordering process, then, in my opinion, they will be dishonest about everything.

It is very easy to write code for one's website to inform the purchaser that an item is on backorder before an order is placed. They did not do that yet continue to advertise they ship in 10 days.
    After we cancelled our order, we went to Home Depot. Consulted with a very knowledgeable kitchen design expert. Saved $400 and the experience was easy and effortless.

We are considering terminating our Costco membership because of this. If Costco is aligned with such a deceptive company, then Costco is also a deceptive company. If we do decide to stay with Costco, we will never buy anything more expensive than organic chicken there. We have an entire house to update. That's tens of thousands of dollars that will go to another company.

• Flagstaffian
    9 years ago

Hi, lurker turned member here. I installed these in a kitchen remodel I did in 2011. I'm very independent, so I used the website and layout tools but never contacted any of the designers. I ordered two samples, and then a sample door. I chose the Lancaster Toffee Glaze. It was a little scary to press send and order over $9,000 in cabinets! They came very quickly, less than two weeks, and there was only one damaged bit, a small crack in one door that I didn't see but my installer pointed out. I just kept it.

I was very pleased with the quality. My installer works for a big box home improvement store doing installs and he liked the quality as well.

I made two rookie mistakes on the order that the designer would have caught but they were not huge. The cabinets were gorgeous and definitely helped sell my home three years later. I had no issues with their performance and I loved the soft/self closing features. One thing I didn't think of was how bar-style pulls would be hard to install on a curved door frame.

Right now I'm agonizing over what to do in my new house. It has tons of well made honey oak cabinets in great shape with 30" uppers. Do I go new--IKEA (which I've used elsewhere,) All Wood Fast again, reface, refinish, Barker doors, RTA or ?????? If I was flipping, I'd get All Wood Fast, but I plan to keep this house for 10-15 years.

I just splurged on a La Cornue 1908. Yes, I've read the threads, don't start judging with the Cornufake snark. It's glorious and I'm the cook AND it was a deal that saved over four grand. Matte black and I'd prefer gray cabinets.

But I digress. In the right situation, I'd definitely go All Wood again.