Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Googie kitchen time capsule.

Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 17:21

The entire house is a time capsule, but I thought the kitchen forum would appreciate this Googie-ish mid-century kitchen. The only new fixture I see is the chandelier.

The house is listed by FoxRoach for $385K thereabouts.

Note the linear four burner cooktop on the shallow counter. I still think this is a great idea.

photo elkpk13_zps9b82d4af.jpg

I am wondering if there was a built in Revco or other fridge at one time: why the vent louvers?
 photo elkpk14_zpsa5755a2f.jpg
 photo elkpk15_zpsc08739ef.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Googie kitchen time capsule.

I love that floor - what is it?

Is this in a suburb of Philadelphia? (I'm originally from Doylestown).

Thanks for sharing this.

o

I have never seen a linear four burner cooktop. Interesting!

o

Does anyone make linear burners now? I'm only 4'11 and I have to move the pots on the back burners to the of ont to see how they're doing. Its a bummer. My current range is at the end of a cabinet run so sometimes I just stand on the side and cook.

o

The floor is vinyl set in a large hopscotch pattern, I believe.

Yes, a couple people make linear cooktops

Summit
Verona
Fulgar

And you could mount Miele or Gaggenau combi-sets sideways if you have a healthy budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: AJMadison

o

Thanks Palimpsest. Those look so much easier to use. I wonder what you would do to the counter behind them though.

o

The floor really is wonderful--the whole thing is quite tastefully done.

Hey, Iowa! You can also do a regular cooktop in a lower-than-standard counter. Then you'll have a nice long counter run to work on too. I think GW poster Rhome410 did that. Look up her kitchen.

o

Thanks Fori! A cooktop on a lower counter is a good idea. Gosh by the time I finish with our future kitchen it's going to look like hobbits live there. ;)

o

Very cool! I especially love l-o-v-e the floor, wonder what it is?

I also l-o-v-e the linear stove. I saw this in a house once, and have wanted one ever since. I even have a topic on GW somewhere about it, but got a lot of responses why it was a lousy idea. Didn't change my mind, though, every time I cook I wish I had one.

Oh, and my mom is also petite and all her counters are lower than normal. This is normally fine, but if the dishwasher ever needs to be replaced, they'd have to remove the counter top because it's sunk down a couple inches into the cement floor.

And how about that space-age oven! Nifty!

o

The original Monsanto house of the future at Disney:) Reminds me of it.

This post was edited by musicgal on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 21:27

o

Palimpsest, my vocabulary thanks you.

o

Oven must be Western-Holly? They always look like laundry machines with the portholes! But I've never seen them is wall ovens; just ranges.

Is that a root vegetable cupboard? I think this kitchen was made for someone who cooked. It looks very functional. I'm guessing it wasn't cheap?

o

The prep space is kinda far from the cooktop, isn't it? And this is just me, but that long L-shaped expanse I could clutter up in no time. Given how much counter space I have now, though, I sure would love to try.

See how the cabinet under the sink is recessed? Mine is like that, under the cooktop, too. While it serves as kind of a knee-space, it makes it so inconvenient to access.

Have to say, I really like the counter's color! And easy to clean backsplash. Honestly, there are only two colors in the kitchen, but what an impact. So cheery :)

What is under the counter next to the oven?

o

To me it's very '80s looking even though it's obviously not. Maybe it's the tv, lighting, and wallpaper?

o

I think the layout is terrible really: there's no prep space in the right spot really.

The things next to the oven look like warming drawers, probably like you'd see in a restaurant, since they weren't made yet for the residential market.

I agree the wallpaper or paint finish and window treatments look like 80s.

o

I love this...How cool. I hope someone who loves it, buys it, rather than someone who walks in saying "look at the POTENTIAL in this kitchen!"

It's very unique and would be nice to match house to enthusiast.

o

Ditto, ChrisInSD; that person would be me! I love the kitchen; about the only think I'd change would be the valance which does not match the color scheme.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here