Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stenciled backsplash?

Posted by annkh (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 17:18

I am currently waiting for my cabinets to be built - there was an equipment problem at the shop, so we're a couple of weeks behind. Install should start Aug 5 at the latest.

I was not planning on a backsplash right away, but saw a post on the Home Decorating forum that got me thinking about stencils. Would it look dorky to stencil a tree branch above the stove, and "scatter" falling leaves around the rest of the kitchen? We're an outdoorsy family (I have a bathroom decorated in camo), so it suits us. The cabinets will be light oak; countertops Cambria Somerset, which is a reddish-brown. I would stencil in a color not much darker than the walls (which are tan, BM Putnam Ivory), so it would be somewhat subtle.

I don't know if this is a good idea, or I'm just getting a little nutsy for something to do while I wait for cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: tree branch stencil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stenciled backsplash?

Go for it....worst case scenario you don't like it and repaint. It certainly would not be the norm and could look cool.

o

I love that stencil. Do it. Just think you could change your backsplash any time you want and never be locked in.

o

Love the stencil too, and I also say go for it, it'll look terrific and if you tire of it, paint on over it.

o

Thanks, all! I'll order it right away! Obviously it will be a lot easier to do before the cabinets go in - and it doesn't matter if it gets covered up a bit.

Here are the falling leaves:

Here is a link that might be useful: falling leaves stencil

o

Should look awesome!

o

What a great idea! In the Moroccan stencil section there are a bunch of arabesques that look a lot like some beloved tiles around here. Not a bad alternative when 1) you're not ready to commit, or 2) you need to keep costs down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here